Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #21
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
Formerly: whitehologram
seller

My Mood:
Re: Basically it's Monday

Ok, time to take me off to my bed. everyone!

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #22
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hey all!

It was a snow day here too, but our snow days don't cancel school for teachers, just cancel busses. As such, all teacher must report to work and kids come in if they can get there by walking or car. Teachers are allowed to report to a school closer to home if they can't safely get to their own school, but I left early and went to my own school. I had 12 of my 20 kids. It was a long, somewhat annoying day and I am glad to be home.

We had French bread pizzas for supper.

I need a nap, but really have to get to work on my report cards.
lemurmommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #23
jwjbbrown
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Those are some interesting and complicated rules Mel. Funny.

We are home. Had greek burgers, pinenut couscous, sauted mushrooms, and veggies and hummus. YUM

MH and I are hanging out. Jerry is jacking up the car to clean out the mud from the wheels and rims. It was shaking pretty good on the way home.

We are supposed to get snow over night...that will make the mud really really bad. Oh joy. We were down about 20% on students today from the mud issues. Buses don't go off blacktop when it is like this so if the kids cant get to the road they cant get to school. Jerry estimate 10+ inches of loose mud at MIL so that is what it will be like at the kids houses too.
jwjbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #24
redgirlsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
1. Weird school closing rules! If it isn't safe for busses, how is it safe for cars? Although I will say sometimes they closed school on Gillette when it was beautiful in town but horrible out of town. It just seems like a headache for teachers with children.

"Oh, dear. I really ought to do something. But I am all ready in my pajamas."
redgirlsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #25
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It's not! But lots of people walk, and other people have to brave the roads to go to work anyhow, so they take their kids to school. With so many families with two parents working, their kids have to have somewhere to go during the day. Schools stay open so the kids are not left at home unattended.

Busses may be cancelled tomorrow too. I hope not, though. It is such a pain!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #26
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm with Jess. If the busses aren't running, we aren't going. Our carpool lane system is a total nightmare. The principal has actually asked city planners to come in and give input how to make it better. The school was built back in the day when very few kids rode the bus, most walked to school. So there is a small parking lot and a small and short carpool circle. Now a whole lot less people walk to school, and a lot of them want to park and walk the kids inside. The people that actually drop the kids curbside often are plugged into their phone or don't follow the route they are supposed to and get in the way of the buses. Then in the winter half the kids that would normally ride the bus, their parents start taking them to school because they don't want to wait out in the cold. It is just plain scary, IMHO. I would most definitely wait out in the cold 10-15 minutes for the bus than deal with that scary mess.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #27
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Jen, and anyone that knows about chainsaws, I need some input. Raj wants to buy a chainsaw to cut up the hickory tree that has already been cut to firewood length. He has read that he will need at least a 50cc one to do this. He has also heard that perhaps it would be more cost effective to get a 50cc (as opposed to higher) to score the logs and then get a sledgehammer and wedge to chop them as needed since hickory is so hard. We wanted to buy one from Home Depot using Amex points, but that limits us to Echo and Cub Cadet brand stuff mostly. He has also heard that it is better to buy chainsaws in brands like Stil from the dealer website because they are so much better than anything in the big box store.

I obviously don't know anything about any of it. I have only used little chainsaws to cut up little mostly dead non-hardwood trees. I do highly doubt Raj would ever really use a sledge and wedge for any length of time. So I think I'd rather buy something bigger that could cut these logs (most are about a foot in diameter, and it would be at least a year or two before we got to the ones that were bigger) all the way through if it was cost-effective.

I also told Raj I'd be willing to pay someone to bring their log splitter and do it all and be done with it, but he thinks it would be more OOP than we can spare right now.

So whatever input any of you have, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #28
jwjbbrown
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can rent a log splitter at home depot and do it yourself quick and easy. You cant split wood with a chainsaw. You can cut to length with a chainsaw. You have to use a splitter or an ax/sledge wedge.

Unless you spend LOTS on a chain saw like a STIL/Hasavarna the rest are all basically the same saw with a different colored case on the outside. The home depot ones have a 1 year manufacture warranty and you can buy an extended warranty.
jwjbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #29
jacksmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

can i tell you i hate buying carseats....i need to go look tomorrow grr
Old 01-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #30
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Things are perhaps made somewhat easier at our schools because parents are not allowed to walk their kids in. Or park in school parking lots during pickup or drop off hours, or enter the bus lanes. SO, if they are driving their kids to school, they have to park a ways away and walk down or drop-off curb side without parking. Schools often have police patrols our, and of course teachers to enforce too.

Sorry about caraway trouble Kari. What's the issue?