Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
MomBecks
Registered Users

Re: Potty Training at night - what are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki24 View Post
My mom and I were talking about this the other day...

I didn't necessarily mean that you "train" them at night, more of "what can be used so that you don't have to worry too much about having to change sheets all the time" kwim?
Gotcha Youkknow what's weird is my 2 girls have taken way longer to be dry at night than any of my 3 boys, and I always thought boys take longer normally :/ So much for stereotypes!

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
March
Registered Users
seller

No liquids after supper, potty twice just before bed, and teaching them to call out I NEED TO TEE-TEE work pretty well here. Sometimes we'll have an accident with one or the other and then for the next few nights we'll wake that child up at the time the accident occurred and take him or her to the bathroom.

We potty-train all at once and do not allow nighttime diapers at that point. We use the method found in the ebook at www.3daypottytraining.com.
March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #13
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by March
No liquids after supper, potty twice just before bed, and teaching them to call out I NEED TO TEE-TEE work pretty well here. Sometimes we'll have an accident with one or the other and then for the next few nights we'll wake that child up at the time the accident occurred and take him or her to the bathroom.

We potty-train all at once and do not allow nighttime diapers at that point. We use the method found in the ebook at www.3daypottytraining.com.
Yup, you may just be lucky and your LO will be dry in the night.

My DD trained at 23 months and woke up dry after day 2 on the potty ( she was wearing a diaper though) the next night I tried underwear and she was fine. Not sure if genetic but both my sister and I trained at that age too and didn't wet at night, my niece too at 27 months. My other niece also did both at the same time but was closer to 3. I didn't even know that nights were not included in potty training until this site.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #14
March
Registered Users
seller

I don't expect or get perfection, but I'm okay with changing sheets rather than confusing my kids by continuing diapers only at night because it is so occasional. I know that bed-wetting even through puberty does happen and for some people it's a nightly thing, almost like a sleep disorder. I would explore other options in that scenario, but for now a good waterproof mattress cover is all we worry about.
March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
My two older boys have diabetes. DS1 wet off & on until he was 10. DS2 is almost 5 and he still wets a few times a week. We have 2 XXL FuzziBunz we stuff with 2 prefolds & a MF insert. Works great.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:01 AM   #16
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sposie pull ups currently :/ she has a potty in her room and goes when she is awake but pees a little at night. At nap she has been dry from day 1 though. I didn't want her in diapers at night so we use pull ups...just on the search for a good trainer to use overnight. We will probably go with super undies.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:04 AM   #17
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

We also potty train all at once like pp mentioned. It's a very parent-led method but works well. We did not use dipes at night and just dealt with wet sheets for a few days--worked great. Our first 2 kiddos were totally dry day and night before they turned two (we train around 22 months). Child #3, on the other hand, is 3 and has been daytime potty trained for a year and a half, and is just NOW starting to stay dry at night. She is a much more laid-back personality, almost ditzy . So for her, we use cloth trainers stuffed with flats. She needed something she could pull down on her own to go potty, but offer protection in case of wetting. I am NOT going to change wet besheets 2-3 times a night for more than a year, particularly when I have my three other children to tend for during the day (I need my sleep at night ) and am getting up at night to feed a newborn also. We used regular diaper covers with two cotton trifolds inside until recently, as she is FINALLY starting to recognize the urge to pee at night. Now I have stuffable trainers. I really think it's her personality more than anything. I bet she'll never have a stress-induced heart attack.

Last edited by Melinda29; 01-29-2013 at 06:10 AM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #18
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by March View Post

Good point!

I'm thinking about taking some time off work in the spring after he turns two and doing this. I know its maybe a little early from boys, but he knows a lot about the potty... even last night he said "potty" to me and then wanted me to put him on the toilet (with his seat).
Old 01-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #19
FriedaT
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by March
We use the method found in the ebook at www.3daypottytraining.com.
Has anyone else tried this? I feel like my 19 mo DD is ready to train, she just doesn't *want* to. She'll pull at her diaper when it's wet, tell me she peed or pooped, she'll sit on her little potty every time DH or I do, but she won't use it! If she's naked, she'll tell me she has to pee pee so we go sit on the potty for 10-20 minutes. Sometimes she'll start to pee in it and say, "Uh oh!" and run away and we'll try to overload her with praise for going IN the potty, other times she'll just leave and go pee on the floor :headbang: . She understands that if she has to go she's supposed to sit on her potty, I just can't get her to go in it. (Hope I'm helping push the question and not hijacking).

ETA: I also don't know how we'd deal with no liquids close to bed time. I nurse DD to sleep every night. She also LOVES to drink water out of her cup and drinks more water than I do. She's also a bit addicted to nursing...

Last edited by FriedaT; 01-29-2013 at 07:55 AM.
FriedaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #20
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedaT View Post
Has anyone else tried this? I feel like my 19 mo DD is ready to train, she just doesn't *want* to. She'll pull at her diaper when it's wet, tell me she peed or pooped, she'll sit on her little potty every time DH or I do, but she won't use it! If she's naked, she'll tell me she has to pee pee so we go sit on the potty for 10-20 minutes. Sometimes she'll start to pee in it and say, "Uh oh!" and run away and we'll try to overload her with praise for going IN the potty, other times she'll just leave and go pee on the floor :headbang: . She understands that if she has to go she's supposed to sit on her potty, I just can't get her to go in it. (Hope I'm helping push the question and not hijacking).
Good question. I should get my mom on here... she's a pro at potty training (5 kids by the time they were about 26 months)...

Maybe she is just not ready?