Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
Registered Users
I took tv out the house altogether and computer or iPad time is earned and a privlage. Maybe you could allow an hour a day? Kids and mommas adapt quicker then you think. I know lots of families that do a technology free house experiment for 30 days and are amazed by results.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forumq

ummsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #12
Registered Users
Re: My son is becoming a couch potato!

I haven't read all of the responses but this is what I would do. I would cut out all technology for a period of time. With my one ds, the more he watches, the more he wants. We do Friday night movie night and some weekend T.V. I would get rid of the darn thing if my dh wasn't opposed, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyway...since you said he has a ton of toys, he could be overwhelmed. I would either create a rubbermaid tub for each day of the week and put different items in it or I would put one item per box (here we have the plastic carts on wheels with three drawers, one for legos, one for cars/trucks, one for K'NEX) and take out one item and clean it up before moving on. That helps him to focus on one item at a time. He probably just needs some training in learning how to occupy his time without T.V./electronics. Once he stops asking for technology (if he argues with you about the matter, I would tell him the answer is going to be "no" everytime he asks until he accepts "no" gracefully) I would add it in here and there.

Also, here we save tablet time for at the Dr.'s office or somewhere that I need them to sit quiet. That way it's a treat and it's something "new".

At his age, his attention span is fairly short, plus he's a boy. I know it's hard when you have a little one to occupy as well. I have found the toy rotation to be the best. That and getting them outside to spend some of that energy! Hang in there, if you take tech. away, it will be rough for a few days but when they see you mean business, the asking usually stops.
Sarah, married to dh 17 years

Mom to:
ds14, dd11, ds8, dd7, dd 2, & ds 1 (2nd reversal baby)' expecting #7 April 2014
oneduckstuck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:
Thanks! We are going to take a technology break and cull the toys.
Austin...Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, attachment parenting, cloth diapering SAHM to the amazing Finnegan Gray 12/01/08 and Rowen Violet 10/19/11.
Wife to my true love Kevin
Mom2Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

My 5 year old was having the same problem. I admit it was my fault. I was pregnant and it was just easier to give him the iPad so I could get some rest after working full time. Now we limit it to an hour a day (even the educational games have a time limit), and we will soon only allow it on weekends. My son fussed the first week we started limiting it, but now he understands and finds something else to do.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #15
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
I'd take the iPad away, explain why, and then do a clean out of his room so he's down to a managable number of toys that he'll actually play with. See how it goes for 2ish weeks and then you can start adding the iPad back, but maybe cut it down to just a few times a week for an hour, rather than 2-3 hours per day.
this is how I feel.

DD really only gets to watch 30 minutes a day of Yo Gabba Gabba while I shower and lately she asks for it ALL DAY LONG. So, of course, I cannot say yes, because it'll just get worse.

she would also play on the kindle all day if given the choice, so I generally only let her get on it once or twice a week for a small amount of time.

I don't know how your toys are stored, but I'm of the opinion that if they can't see it, they'll forget they have it. So, I try to keep the number of toys paired down and I use a shelf type system so everything is visible as opposed to a toy box where things are all hidden. Also helps for clean up time. When DD is really having trouble playing and I need time to cook or whatever, I tell her to find certain things and that usually gets her interest.

at 4, I would think some legos and some of those 'make these patterns' type things might be interesting to him.
SAHM to Magnolia May (09/10) and Luke Russett (04/13) and wife and best friend to my airman.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #16
Registered Users

The book Simplicity Parenting would be very beneficial to read. It has great ideas, how to go about what you are wanting, as well as the why's behind it.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote