Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
NevadaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: danandsassy
seller

My Mood:
Urgent question - Friend has sick baby, have you ever heard of symptoms like this??

My poor dear friend cannot figure out with his wrong with her little girl, please help!

Her daughter is 2 1/2.....for the last week or so, she will spike a very high fever (104.5 right now) and break out in a rash. The fever lasts about 8 hours or so, during which time her DD is very lethargic and won't eat. As soon as the fever and rash disappears she is fine again, only to have it come back within 24 - 48 hours, same thing, high fever and rash all over again.

She is currently living in Germany where her DH is deployed. Whenever this happens they take her to the ER and all they do is give the poor girl motrin and send her home. This is now the 3rd time this week this has happened to her DD and she is at her wit's end. She is on a waiting list right now for a regular ped appointment.

Any idea what this is?? My poor friend also has a one year old and is pregnant again with #3, she is exhausted and can't get any answers. Any feedback is appreciated!!

Advertisement

NevadaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Urgent question - Friend has sick baby, have you ever heard of symptoms like this

Is she eating anything new? New medication or detergent or anything new at all?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Urgent question - Friend has sick baby, have you ever heard of symptoms like this

The rash is likely heat rash. I'm not sure about the high temp though. My daughter did something similar without the heat rash. It seems that when the fever went away she felt better so was her usual self. This was causing her to relaps. Like your friends daughter it did take a day or two for the fever to return. Whatever her body was fighting would get the upper hand. The fever reducer was just masking the fact she was still sick. My daughter was about the same age as your friend's child.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Have they checked for Kawasaki disease? Very dangerous and needs immediate treatment if she has it.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

No idea but those ER dr's need to run a CBC on the child and figure it out.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Were they fully vaxxed before they went over? What about this - http://kidshealth.org/parent/infecti...n/roseola.html
Old 01-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
NevadaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: danandsassy
seller

My Mood:

Nothing new as far as food, detergent or poss allergens.....she did have roseola already last year. She is fully vaxxed. I will ask about Kawasaki disease, msg her now...

Keep the ideas coming!
NevadaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
wyatt09
Registered Users

My Mood:

SCARLET FEVER
Started off with 1 and we call her "sum",next was baby number two...I was buying "blue",baby number three I was "seeing more pink" and by this Christmas 2013.. a NEW gift for me! We are a Breast-feeding,baby wearing,cloth diapering,mama clothing,circ'ing,vaxing kinda family!
wyatt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
oneduckstuck5
Registered Users

My first thought was Roseola. I know that a high fever and rash are assoc. with Roseola but I'm not sure if the rash goes away or stays. If it is roseola I don't think it's such a big deal, just needs to run it's course. I believe my son had it years ago when I was a few weeks away from delivering my dd. The high fever was scary but we would put him in a lukewarm tub to bring it down and just kept him as comfortable as possible. Hope she figures it out soon!

Mom to:
ds14, dd11, ds8, dd7, dd 2, & ds 1 (2nd reversal baby)' expecting #7 April 2014
oneduckstuck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

WIth Roseola, the rash usually shows up after the fever ends.

Scarlet fever can have a rash that comes and goes...strep is miserable.

Kawasaki disease usually has the fever/rash that comes and goes, but it also has very chapped lips and goopy eyes too. (I learned about this from a talk show with John Travolta LOL) The child's hands and feet appear swollen and rashy too.