Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #61
Fishie Kisses's Avatar
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SJV, CA
Posts: 17,654
My Mood:
Re: Am I terrible because...

I am asking you ladies to please drop it and keep the thread on topic. Please do not comment here anymore unless it relates directly to the OP and her questions/concerns. Further comments to each other will result in warnings or strikes.

Advertisement

__________________
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #62
mommajewels's Avatar
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,371
Re: Am I terrible because...

*deleted*

I apologize, Fishie Kisses. I responded the same time you posted asking us to drop it.
__________________
I'm Julie. I'm a lucky wife to Micheal and a SUPER blessed mama of 5! Jordyn (12.21.04) Preston (4.10.06) Kyson (6.24.07) Gavin (12.18.08) and Londyn. (4.19.10)
Expecting Emersyn Jewel in March 2013!

Last edited by mommajewels; 02-03-2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Posted before I saw a mod had requested that we keep the thread on the original topic.
mommajewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #63
august6's Avatar
august6
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Granite Falls, NC
Posts: 63
My Mood:
Re: Am I terrible because...

Well I'm glad that you know it's normal, that's awesome. But if you do a google search, you'll find that in rare cases it can turn into a medical emergency -which it did and if not treated (we have no idea when it started, so it wasn't) it can be deadly. I'm well aware you're not supposed to retract, but trama in the penis can cause it to progress rather quickly. So, I'm glad you feel confirmed in my "Exaggerations" but clearly you didn't do enough research. Here's a great article confirming exactly what I told you.

http://clevelandclinic.org/health/he.../2300/2374.asp

A direc quote "Paraphimosis is a medical emergency that can cause serious complications if not treated. Paraphimosis may occur after an erection or sexual activity, or as the result of injury to the head of the penis. With paraphimosis, the foreskin becomes stuck behind the ridge of the head of the penis. If this condition is prolonged, it can cause pain and swelling, and impair blood flow to the penis. In extreme cases, the lack of blood flow can result in the death of tissue (gangrene), and amputation of the penis may be necessary."
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajewels View Post
All you have done in this thread is confirm what I've thought all along.

FYI... Paraphimosis is normal in newborn boys. It is far from life threatening. In fact, the foreskin of an infant should not be retracted, at all. Paraphimosis only becomes a problem if years later the foreskin can not be retracted. So claiming a circumcision was "medically necessary" for a newborn infant due to something that is completely normal in newborns....... well, you see where I'm going with this.

The funniest part about all of this is NO ONE was judging you for circumcising your son! You came into a thread that was meant to inform parents as to why circumcision isn't necessary with all sorts of exaggerated, dramatic, far fetched stories about how awful life can be for an intact boy. You made degrading remarks about how "nasty" the intact penis you'd experienced was. And then you claimed that you only did so because you felt bad for the circumcised males who may be reading that thread. You then claimed your son had this unheard of painless procedure done to circumcise his penis, not because you wanted him to be circumcised, but because it was medically necessary. Of course people are going to be curious about what condition required a newborn to be circumcised out of true medical necessity. Now that you're finally sharing what you claim to be the medically necessary condition, it turns out to be a condition that is normal in newborns. Again, no one had any issue with you personally for having your son circumcised. That was your choice. The issue was the way you came into the thread meant to inform those on why circumcision isn't necessary, and said such derogatory things about the intact penis. Do you not understand that?

So anyhow. This is honestly the last I will say on the subject, or to you in general, because I genuinely feel bad that OP's thread has turned into this. Don't bother trying to get yourself banned (seriously, isn't it easier to not log in or respond if it's affecting you THAT much?) because I won't be questioning your "out there" claims anymore. If you want to continuously go out of your way to argue your false claims.. then that's your perrogative. Does it anger me that you're spreading false information on different subjects? Yes, it does. But you're clearly not going to stop nor are you going to own up to it, so I'll just hope those who come to the boards to seek out true, personal experiences as well as facts are able to tell the fact from the fiction. You can think of me what you want, it honestly has no affect on me at all because at least I can leave this pointless conversation knowing I've been nothing but honest and up front as opposed to grasping for straws and calling names in an attempt to try to convince people of information that clearly isn't true.
august6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #64
jaelynsmommy61607's Avatar
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Everett,WA
Posts: 7,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by august6 View Post
You want to know what my son suffered from? You want to know soooooo bad that you've followed me around like a lost puppy? He suffered from Paraphimosis, you jerk! You all assumed that he was sick because of his condition, but he was sick because he had Jaundice from being born early. On day 7 he was considered old enough because his levels of 17 weren't as dangerous on day 7 as they were on days 3 or 4. On day 7, the doctors noticed his issues before we were discharged, yes I was that crappy of a Mom I never noticed how swollen he was, and had to take care of it immediately because he could have died!!!!

Are you happy? Something that I blame myself for not seeing, something that I could have lost my child over was 100% my fault and I don't like talking about it. That's why I tried to leave it be, I explained the proceedure but you all just kept asking questions and harassing me over it. You all would rather follow me around and bring unwanted drama than just take the hint it's not my favorite subject.

And for the record, I explained that I wanted to be banned. I would love to be banned, but I made sure to let the mods know how YOU are following me around, how another woman followed me into a differet topic, how you all keep on and keep on. I will gladly go for calling you a jerk, pathetic, and everything else that YOU ARE, but I also wanted them to see how bad of a person you are, too.

Now run back and tell all your friends you won, you got it out of me. Then you all can feel like crap for bothering me so much over a condition that does exist and did happen.
You can ask for a self imposed ban
__________________
Jessica-Mommy
Jaelyn(6-16-07) & Dominic (2-4-10)
HBA2C Damian(6-19-12)
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #65
songbird516's Avatar
songbird516
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,164
My Mood:
Re: Am I terrible because...

I really like this article about epidurals
http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/why...-epidural-trip

I think that it's a good point that a woman who can sit perfectly still during the application of the epidural during strong contractions can surely manage to handle contractions if she were supported and allowed to move as she wished to lessen the intensity of contractions.

Anyway, though..OP it's your decision. This is your second, so it will probably be faster than the first. Maybe not less intense, but statistically 1/2 the time. Personally I think it's SO awesome to be fully aware during the birth process. I hate being numb, though, in ANY way. And I also hate needles, so I have a lot motivating me to avoid the epidural. You have to figure out what is most important to you. I have a friend who wanted to avoid pain and remember his birth fondly, so she got an epidural as soon as she got to the hospital, but then had terrible tearing during the birth. It's possible that without it she would have had less tearing, since epidurals are associated with worse tearing...maybe not. But for me it's not worth the risks to complicate a birth that is low-risk and normal with drugs and needles.
__________________
Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk! www.beyondbirthsupport.com

Last edited by songbird516; 02-03-2013 at 07:50 PM.
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #66
Kiliki's Avatar
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9,397
Re: Am I terrible because...

It is a TOTAL fallacy that there are *no risks* to mom or baby from an epidural. Just plain and simply UNTRUE. You can look up even the most "medical-minded" places list side-effects that are possible for mom and baby from an epidural.

Most are mild, some are rare, but there are, certainly, absolutely, and completely side effects that CAN and DO happen.

Anyone who tells you differently is either sadly misinformed, ignorant, or is living in UNreality.

Informed consent is a beautiful thing.

it allows you (general you) to determine what you need to go through labor the best possible way. And it affords me the same right.

Make an informed decision, and don't feel bad about it. Just be sure you are informed, and you can live with any possible effects of whatever you choose. And that goes for ANY decision you make, not just epidurals. Own your choices by understanding the risks.

That is all.

Here are some helpful links, about the side-effects of epidurals, from mainstream sites:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_epidural...9911.bc?page=2

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/lab.../epidural.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidural

http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnanc..._epidural.html


...there are more. I'll spare you. I am sure anyone is capable of finding these same things.

Last edited by Kiliki; 02-03-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #67
mibarra
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
I think that it's a good point that a woman who can sit perfectly still during the application of the epidural during strong contractions can surely manage to handle contractions if she were supported and allowed to move as she wished to lessen the intensity of contractions.
I'm gonna disagree from personal experience. It took everything I had in me to stay still for my epidural and they were fast. My contractions and back labor were so intense that my knees would buckle and DH had to catch me several times on the way up to the maternity ward. I couldn't walk from triage to my room. Between home and the hospital I tried everything I could think of and nothing helped. Now, my contractions started painful all the sudden and got worse, so there was no gradual build up. That may have made a difference. But in the hour and a half it took me to get to the hospital I was already exhausted and almost delirious from pain.

Not disagreeing about the risks associated with epidurals, just saying it's different for everyone. I'm genuinely curious if we had an objective way to measure the pain level of contractions across women of women with comparatively lesser contractions would have a higher rate of natural birth. Of course there's no real good way to measure that! Some people have a higher pain tolerance too.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #68
Palooka's Avatar
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,449
My Mood:
Re: Am I terrible because...

Wow... this thread got weird.

OP you know what an epi is, you know what childbirth is, you know what you want. Good for you! Don't feel guilty about having a great experience with an epidural and wanting to do it again.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #69
lynn97's Avatar
lynn97
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,302
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc
Wow... this thread got weird.

OP you know what an epi is, you know what childbirth is, you know what you want. Good for you! Don't feel guilty about having a great experience with an epidural and wanting to do it again.
Amen!! And I feel that there is a LOT if misinformation here on both sides, personally.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #70
Palooka's Avatar
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,449
My Mood:
Re: Am I terrible because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
I'm gonna disagree from personal experience. It took everything I had in me to stay still for my epidural and they were fast. My contractions and back labor were so intense that my knees would buckle and DH had to catch me several times on the way up to the maternity ward. I couldn't walk from triage to my room. Between home and the hospital I tried everything I could think of and nothing helped. Now, my contractions started painful all the sudden and got worse, so there was no gradual build up. That may have made a difference. But in the hour and a half it took me to get to the hospital I was already exhausted and almost delirious from pain.

Not disagreeing about the risks associated with epidurals, just saying it's different for everyone. I'm genuinely curious if we had an objective way to measure the pain level of contractions across women of women with comparatively lesser contractions would have a higher rate of natural birth. Of course there's no real good way to measure that! Some people have a higher pain tolerance too.
I sort of agree with this. I am extremely sensitive to pain. My dentist always says I require more novacain than most patients because I seem to feel everything. If I hit my elbow hard enough I will completely pass out from the pain. During labor I vomited after every contraction for an hour -- it took an hour for them to get me an IV of Zofran. I don't think I'm a wimp, I don't fear or avoid pain, I just feel everything and my body reacts to it (wincing, fainting, puking). I took 9 weeks of birthing class, read books, had mantras, learned positions, had an amazing husband and two doulas. I did everything to prepare for natural childbirth, but I couldn't control what my body felt.

I still had a natural birth, and I'm happy about that, but when I hear some women talk about their beautiful, peaceful natural births, it is very clear that we did not experience the same pain. Or in the same way. Or whatever you want to say. But I knew how an epidural felt, I'd had a lumbar puncture earlier that year, and I was aware of the risks, so I got through the worst pain of my life. And I will do it again next time because it let me avoid a c-section (distressed baby, crazy pushing, every nurse said no-epi saved me from the knife), and personally it seemed worth it.

Natural was the right choice for me, but not because I enjoyed it. Frankly, it sucked. So I wholly support a mama who understands the pros and cons of epidurals and makes the best choice for her. I'm a little envious even!

Last edited by Palooka; 02-03-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.