Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:
Re: Sell Me On Your Math Curriculum

I second Right Start Math. Our boys love Right Start and I attribute that to their hands on manipulatives, math games and other mental exercises. Some days they never want to stop! My own Math skills have increased using their 'tricks' and playing the games .

Advertisement

rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
emilygood
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies!

Looks like I need to add Math U See and Right Start to my list.

ONe thing I am having a hard time figuring out with Singapore is where to start and it doesn't look like they do curriculum viewings and they aren't coming to the homeschool expo here this summer. I hate to buy a curriculum without seeing it.

I have looked at Saxon only because we are going to be doing CC this fall and that is the curriculum they recommend but it did look a little intensive.

Those that use Math U See and Right Start Math: How do they transition into upper level math courses? Do you plan on using them long term or just while your children are young?

Owner of Mommy Secrets, a company dedicated to helping you find local and organic places to support a greener life for your family!
emilygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can see samples on there site and download placement tests. That was all I did.

Good luck in your search.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #14
croark
Registered Users
seller

We use MUS and I intend to use it all the way through. I have not experienced the transition into upper level math so I can't speak for that. I can say that I know MUS is mastery based and from what I see it should be a very easy transition. For example, in the Alpha book (Kish level) they are taught to solve for the unknown.

____ + 2 = 5

And in the Gamma (I think) perimeter is Looked at. So upper level math is touched on very early in it's most basic form. I would think it should just progress/advance from there and continue to build on topics already looked at.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #15
emilygood
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
You can see samples on there site and download placement tests. That was all I did.

Good luck in your search.
I saw the samples, but i can't find the placement tests. Also, I cannot figure out the difference between early bird kindergarten and essential kindergarten. Any idea what the difference is? I am so confused!

Owner of Mommy Secrets, a company dedicated to helping you find local and organic places to support a greener life for your family!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #16
emilygood
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by croark View Post
We use MUS and I intend to use it all the way through. I have not experienced the transition into upper level math so I can't speak for that. I can say that I know MUS is mastery based and from what I see it should be a very easy transition. For example, in the Alpha book (Kish level) they are taught to solve for the unknown.

____ + 2 = 5

And in the Gamma (I think) perimeter is Looked at. So upper level math is touched on very early in it's most basic form. I would think it should just progress/advance from there and continue to build on topics already looked at.
That sounds really great! They are coming to the expo so I am excited to check them out!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #17
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

We used Right Start for 1st grade and 2nd for our eldest (now in 4th grade) and we've started with our 1st grader. Third grade my eldest went to public school and we supplemented with Houghton Mifflin Mathematics from 1978, and Rays Primary and Pratical Arithmetic books, because I found them second hand for a dollar and that was all we could afford. He ate right through Mathematics, and Rays Primary Arithmetic and we ended last year with the beginning of Rays Practical Arithmetic and started 4th grade with it to finish out the book. Now we are using two different math books to try and challenge him a little bit, Ray's Intellectual Arithmetic, and Geometry by Harold R. Jacobs, plus supplemental brain teasers off the web.
I would say from our experience that they transition very well and are ahead of the game for understanding the underpinnings of math.

Last edited by rumblepurr; 01-28-2013 at 08:29 PM.
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #18
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

My oldest is doing Math-U-See for pre-algebra this year and so far we haven't had any issues. She has always used Math-U-See. I have heard that sometimes students at the higher level find there isn't enough repetition, but others have had no problem with it all the way through. Like any program, it will work for some and not for others.

I think the only difficulty for transitioning would be before pre-algebra because it is a mastery program, not spiral, which is more common. If you re unsure what that means, it means a focus on one topic until it is mastered. One whole book is multiplication, for example (though it does touch briefly on other topics, such as finding the area of a shape).
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #19
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilygood View Post
I saw the samples, but i can't find the placement tests. Also, I cannot figure out the difference between early bird kindergarten and essential kindergarten. Any idea what the difference is? I am so confused!
someone on here told me they are the same earlybird just has a textbook to go w/ it and is geared more for use in schools.
3rugrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #20
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilygood View Post
I'll link you to the placement tests at the end of this post.

The Earlybird has a separate text book and workbook. You teach from the textbook and do the workbook as practice. Both books are in color. It is more expensive. The Essentials is all in one workbook. At the bottom of each page is a short explanation of the concept and instructions/ideas for the parent/teacher to teach the concept with hands on learning. (you can see this in one of their samples.) The practice is on that same page. It is in black and white which I like because my children like to color the pictures. It is less expensive. Personally, Essentials is all we need and what we used. I was confused too, but on the advice of most people, I got the Essentials. I was happy with it. Now, having moved on, I completely understand the difference (because 1a and above is all set up like Earlybird) and I still am glad I had the Essentials over the Earlybird.

Here is a link to the placement tests: http://www.singaporemath.com/Placement_s/12.htm

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 01-29-2013 at 12:43 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote