Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #21
LauraJane429
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sell Me On Your Math Curriculum

We use Singapore and I've been happy with it. DS1 started kindergarten last fall and we started with the Earlybird (color) version for kindergarten. It's good, but it's designed for the California school system - so some of the stuff (ie activities) don't mesh well with a home one-on-one environment. The essentials is the 'original' Singapore version. We finished the kindergarten books by January and got the US Standards version (non-color). DS1 really enjoys coloring in the pictures after he does the math work. I also use the home instructor's guide and really like it. There are a lot of suggestions on how to teach the material besides just reading the textbook together and doing worksheets. And the games are made for teacher-student interaction.

Good luck!

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #22
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilygood View Post
I saw the samples, but i can't find the placement tests. Also, I cannot figure out the difference between early bird kindergarten and essential kindergarten. Any idea what the difference is? I am so confused!
We have the early rid math, but it is mostly cutting and pasting. DS didn't like it as much as the essential. Essential also gives you tons of ideas to do hands on. For example, today we talked about lighter and heavier. It suggested taking your child around the house first and comparing a pen to a paper clip, or a shoe to a scarf. DS thought it was fun.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #23
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
I thought it had all the answers. It does in 1a and b. This is good information to know. I think you can buy an answer key. Good to know I'll need that too.

ETA - I just looked. The site says the HIG has "most" of the answers. There is an answer key (it's $7.30) and on that page it says you don't need it if you have the instructors guide. In my 1a and 1b HIG it does have all the answers to both the text book and the workbook problems. So.... I guess I'll just cross that bridge if/when I come to it. I still appreciate the heads up though so I can look into it.
It has some answers in my home instructors guide, but it in no way matches up. It has been annoying for me, just in little details. I am always pretty sure I have the right answer, but I would hate to teacher my child wrong!
Old 01-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #24
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraJane429 View Post
We use Singapore and I've been happy with it. DS1 started kindergarten last fall and we started with the Earlybird (color) version for kindergarten. It's good, but it's designed for the California school system - so some of the stuff (ie activities) don't mesh well with a home one-on-one environment. The essentials is the 'original' Singapore version. We finished the kindergarten books by January and got the US Standards version (non-color). DS1 really enjoys coloring in the pictures after he does the math work. I also use the home instructor's guide and really like it. There are a lot of suggestions on how to teach the material besides just reading the textbook together and doing worksheets. And the games are made for teacher-student interaction.

Good luck!
I like the Home Instructor's Guide for the same reason, but just realized, I think I may have already said that in my original response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivhop98 View Post
It has some answers in my home instructors guide, but it in no way matches up. It has been annoying for me, just in little details. I am always pretty sure I have the right answer, but I would hate to teacher my child wrong!
Exactly! That's for sure and is why I have the teacher's guide in the first place. Sounds frustrating.