Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #21
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Cloth Wipes for the budget?

I use the walmart washcloths kid is 3 months I have about 50 could get by with 30. I think they were 4.88 for 18?

Michelle, Mama to W (9/06) & I (11/08) & E (10/19/12)
MomdeIsla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #22
Registered Users

I made all of my own wipes, by repurposing old flannel receiving blankets, old fitted sheets, and crib blankets that were going to be thrown out or we had no use for anymore!! I made them double sided and serged the edges, but zigzaging would be just fine!! They have held up amazing and they do the job better than diposable wipes!

I boil water, add some baby soap of choice, a little olive oil and then I use tea tree and Lavender essential oils to prevent musty smells and be soothing and cleansing to the babies bum!! Soo easy and works like a charm!!
Married to my sweet hubby for 10 years and Mama to 4 little balls of energy. Kinda Crunchy and realizing it more and more every year, lol!
Me DH ds 5yrs, dd 4yrs dd 2.5 years ds 10 months
disneylindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #23
Registered Users

i stayed away from lavender scents or oils with my kiddos bc of warnings about it affecting hormone levels.

like many mamas on here, i simply used water and flannel.
none on the boards, but feedback on LJ here:
nettepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #24
Registered Users
My Mood:
I have about 2 dozen wipes, some that I've made some purchased. I actually like the simple flannel single layer ones I've made a lot, bought the fabric at Joann $6/yd and cut it down to 8"x8" squares. For a solution I just keep a spray bottle on the changing table with just a squirt of baby body wash, fill to the top w water and shake to mix. The only time I've had a rash is when the poo gets a little too yeasty, then I just make sure to feed him more yogurt. Ok that's just us but he seemed to have sensitive buns until we switched to cloth wipes. Even DH is amazed at how much more effective they are at cleaning up. For a two month old I might even have another dozen on hand but you can always play it by ear.
QuartzandPyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #25
Registered Users

I like wipes cut up from old t-shirts, the weight and feel reminds me a lot of a disposable wipe. you dont have to sew or serge the edges because they will not fray. i just use water in a spray bottle for my solution and toss them In The diaper pail after wiping. 2 wipes per diaper seems like a good number to have on hand.
Erin0183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #26
Registered Users
My Mood:

For years I used cheap wash clothes or cut up recieving blankets, drops of baby wash with occasional drops of tea tree oil for solution in an enpty wipe tub. This year I treated myself to a warmer, Osocozy double side terry/flannel wipes and a pack of the Fuzzibunz wipes that have 1 side cotton and one side fleece. I like the Osocozy terry flannel better than the Fuzzibunz. The warmer is soo awesome my cheap husband would replace it if it broke. He now hates toss out wipes.

To save, however, I do not use their "pads" for the bottom. I use old wash clothes instead. The point of this pad is to protect your wipes from burning in the event they are in the warmer for a spell. I do not care if an old washcloth gets a ting brown from heat.
kinderreruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #27
Registered Users
My Mood:

I ended up buying some Carter washcloths from Walmart and using warm water and some baby wash as the solution. Discovered another thing I like about cloth wipes... if I have a small container of warm water nearby when cleaning up a messy diaper I can usually get away with using just one wipe. I was having to use about 5 disposable wipes with DD messier diapers...
Namiko is online now   Reply With Quote