Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
misty316
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What about extra cover and such

I have some extra comforters some are in those plastic zip things that comforters come in. They take up lots of space. I am trying to minimalize more. I just hate to get rid of something like that. I always think what if we need it. Like what if there were no power for weeks in the winter. Not like I live where it snows or anything. I don't know I just think covers are a good thing to keep but we never use them. Suggestions???

Advertisement

misty316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
I'm not a fan of comforters to begin with. I'd much prefer to have more flexibility. If there's a comforter that you actually use that matches your bed sheets, then keep it. Ditch the rest. get one heavy wool blanket if you must. But honestly, in that event of a disaster, you could make do with extra sweaters and combining everyone sheets into one warm cozy bed. Otherwise, the comforters are taking space. You could also get vacuum bags.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
misty316
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What about extra cover and such

We tried vacuum bags once. It would have worked but the cat went under the bed and got a hole in them.
misty316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Do you have sleeping bags? We don't have extra blankets for the beds, really, but we do have sleeping bags that we could use if we needed to.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I keep fleece blankets instead of comforters. We have about 6 fleece blankets, one set of sheets and comforter per bed plus an extra set of sheets in each size. We've never needed anything more.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

In the event of an emergency, you'd be able to grab all the blankets from each bed and huddle together, so I don't think an 'extra' would be necessary. Unless it matches a set you use regularly, go ahead and get rid of it.

I keep going back to our linen closet and pulling out a little here and there. Blankets, sheets, quilts all serve the same purpose. If a kid peed in their bed, we have extra blankets.. If they peed again, I could strip the guest bed for more covers. I don't need all this bedding sitting unused. I think that's the key to minimalism is looking at everything as a totality and eliminating the overlap. How many middle of the night midhaps would need to occur before I ran out of blankets? A ton.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

I have a hard time with this too but we do use them when visitors come...I don't think dp will go for the 'byob' approach to visiting (bring your own blankets).
Old 02-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
jj7202
Registered Users
seller

Last year I switched to duvet covers. I like to change with the seasons so for me to save space I have one down comforter per bed and am slowly collecting duvet covers to coordinate my desire for seasonal change. They can be pricey so I am going slow. I have two for our master and may just stick with that. Nice part is that they fold up so small I am able to store with the sheet set in a pillow case under the bed!!love not having to store bulky bedding anymore!!
jj7202 is offline   Reply With Quote