Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Tax credit for cloth diapers?

I remember reading something on here a while ago about the idea of having a tax credit for cloth diapers. I searched and found a topic here from about a year ago, but I'm not sure if it's the same one I'm thinking of... so, sorry if this has been discussed recently.

But how would you feel about a tax credit for using cloth diapers? There's a petition floating around and already has a couple thousand signatures in less than a week, so there's definitely interest in it.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/152/4...ge/?cid=FB_TAF

I think the idea of a tax credit is neat because there are some awesome environmental advantages and that could make CDs more appealing and affordable, and make more people aware that it's an option. Although I don't know if penalizing sposies to offset the cost would be the best approach. And I can see that being a huge upset to the general public that often thinks sposies are the only option and wouldn't want the government getting involved. At any rate, I'm impressed there's so much support for it so fast and it makes for an interesting discussion.

Advertisement

mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Tax credit for cloth diapers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspopo View Post
I remember reading something on here a while ago about the idea of having a tax credit for cloth diapers. I searched and found a topic here from about a year ago, but I'm not sure if it's the same one I'm thinking of... so, sorry if this has been discussed recently.

But how would you feel about a tax credit for using cloth diapers? There's a petition floating around and already has a couple thousand signatures in less than a week, so there's definitely interest in it.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/152/4...ge/?cid=FB_TAF

I think the idea of a tax credit is neat because there are some awesome environmental advantages and that could make CDs more appealing and affordable, and make more people aware that it's an option. Although I don't know if penalizing sposies to offset the cost would be the best approach. And I can see that being a huge upset to the general public that often thinks sposies are the only option and wouldn't want the government getting involved. At any rate, I'm impressed there's so much support for it so fast and it makes for an interesting discussion.
It would be very difficult to prove, for one. It would probably crush the secondary market if you had to prove purchase.

I think it's a nice idea and it would be awesome if there was a credit but I just don't see it being feasible.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

Re: Tax credit for cloth diapers?

There is a Canadian one as well:
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...h-dipaers.html

I think it is a great idea in principal, but I also don't think it would be as helpful as one might hope. Most people who CD for financial reasons buy used, and therefor would not get a receipt. I also think that I will get more more benefit from having a resale market/being able to buy used than getting a tiny little one-time tax break.