Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
Amanda L
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What age to purge "baby" books?

I did do a search first and was very intrigued by the "Kids Books" thread but I don't think this specific question was addressed . . . What age do you start thinning out board books with no or minimal story-lines? I know they are read to babies and younger children initially to increase vocabulary, etc, but do the kids need to be reading them themselves before they go?

At 3 and 4 the boys are reaching more for the books with complex story lines and depth for us to read to them. Once they advance from learning the ABC's to reading I am afraid the harder to read books will be frustrating and they will want the simpler books at first . . .

Anyone BTDT and want to offer advice on early readers and their preferences? Does it link closely to what they like read to them or go simpler?

I am trying to reduce the ridiculous amount of books our boys have and am having trouble with this. I am a long time lurker and want to thank all of you in advance for any replies!

Advertisement

Amanda L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
77Lipen
Registered Users

Oh by 4 my little guy would have nothing to do with anything 'baby'.
So around then

If your 3 yo is gentle with things then you can start at 3.

Of course I kept a couple just to see. Once in awhile he wanted to read the 'I spy' books. But that was because I hadn't bought him more advanced ones yet. (He loves visual games).
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I have been book purging all week. My kids are so far apart in age that I have to keep the baby books around, but man we are overrun with books!

My oldest is 6 Monday and he is over kid books altogether and getting into shorter chapter books, like the Magic Treehouse series.

He is reading the Level 1 readers on his own, and starting on the Level 2.

His sister is 16 months and just starting to get into books. She likes the board books with colorful pictures and no real story. DS reads these to her, which is awesome.

When Henry was first learning to read, about a year ago, he enjoyed looking at the baby books. Some he could recite from memory, but the ones with the word directly under the picture were best. I think reading those quietly to himself in bed at night really helped to jump start his ability to recognize and sound out words.

Those are the ones I would keep around if I were you, because in a year or so when your boys start wanting to read by themselves, or the older read to the younger, these books will be a way to boost their confidence and get the ball rolling.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: What age to purge "baby" books?

I don't think we've kept any board books past the age of 2. But, none of my kids ever tore books (except on accident -- maybe once on purpose). If my kids were destructive with regular picture books, I would keep board books longer.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
My older two don't look at them but my newly 5yo DS is gravitating toward them right now as he learned to read recently. As a pp stated, the simple words and stories are confidence boosters for him. We do practice with real reader books during the day but he reads board books at night. These are usually the short board versions of dr Suess and the like.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Amanda L
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for the quick responses!

My four year old is more rough with books than my three year old. Neither tear on purpose, though . . . So right now we are tied with half saying I can purge now and half saying keep them until my boys are reading!

Anyone want to break the tie!

Old 01-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

My son still looks at his but Weve only kept his favorites.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
Amanda L
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I ended up weeding out 25 or so and sorting the rest to rotate by season. We still have 50-60 board books in current rotation. Definitely not minimal but way better than the four full bookshelves we had before I realized that was ridiculous and started passing them on!

Thanks again for all the advice!

Old 01-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #9
SarasynFox
Registered Users

My Mood:

I still have a baby and I got rid of almost all of the board books except for the really favorite ones. My 3 year old has no interest and my other kids are definitely too old. It really depends on the kids. I mean, we have...I want to say 5 non-holiday related board books. I'm going to hold on to those until we decide whether or not we're going to have a 5th, but we've got a timeline on that. If I don't have another in three years, we're not having another. If we do have another, they'll probably be going when the baby hits about 2 years old. That's when my kids were old enough that they had less interest in board books and more interest in real books.
SarasynFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
august6
Registered Users

My Mood:

We participate in a consignment sale every Spring and Fall. I usually go through everything we own (books included) and make very serious decisions about the items. If we haven't used it in a few months, it goes. It keeps down clutter, we make a few bucks, and I always replace them with newer more age appropriate ones. Very rarely does a book stay passed it's time -usually if it is sentimental and then it gets put somewhere special so nothing happens to it.
august6 is offline   Reply With Quote