Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #21
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

I got to the cigarette smoke. That would end it for me.

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #22
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrosehughes
I got to the cigarette smoke. That would end it for me.
Yup. Anyone caring for kids shouldnt be smoking in their home or car.

And I have nothing against smoking in general.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #23
Ainmemphis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Just smelling like smoke would be the deal breaker for me. I don't care if the caregiver never smokes when the kids are there. the exposure the kids get from the house/caregiver from third hand smoke is more than I'd willingly expose my children to. I do not have any family that smokes so I do not feel lenient in my kids being around people that are smokers. Maybe it would be different if it was depriving them of being near loved ones but I strongly detest the smell of cigarette smoke and it can't smell good to the kids either. Good luck
Old 01-29-2013, 06:04 AM   #24
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: daycare misgivings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam's mum View Post

I suppose my question is - would these concerns compel you to remove your child from the daycare, even if you'd have to quit your job/degree in order to manage it? Or do we stick it out for a couple of months until we find a better solution, on the grounds that I am not worried that my daughter will suffer major and irreparable harm?
Cigarette smoke is a deal breaker for me. The rest is just insult to injury. The day there was even a hint of smoke smell on my kiddo she would never go back.

My son has major GI issues, and our GI dept gave me research about third hand smoke (the smell of smoke on the clothes of someone who has smoked previously), and how it causes the esophagus to relax, increasing reflux.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:28 AM   #25
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

I would look for new care ASAP. Depending on your degree goals/career aspirations, I am pretty sure I would not quit working/studying unless you really want to be a SAHM or are otherwise not into the degree for another reason. I don't think your daughter will be irreparably harmed by staying another couple of weeks in order for you to find new care, but I wouldn't delay. As far as other care being more expensive, I'd probably do whatever it took to pay for that care in the short term so I could finish my degree (including asking parents for a loan, going into a small amount of CC debt, cut retirement savings, cut budget somewhere somehow...) Presumably when you have finished school and are working full time, the financial wrinkles will sort out.
BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:28 AM   #26
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

DP
BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:37 AM   #27
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

No way, no how. Find new care, ASAP. You can do it! You have to do it! It's scary to make changes, but even if you go visit and everything looks fine, there is much better care out there. I would, personally, drop out of school for something like this. I would pay more for better care. You can't put a price on the well being of your child, all tedious budgeting aside. MY heart hurts for your little one. The red flags are up all over the place and it makes me wonder what you aren't seeing and hearing about. Hugs, mama. You can do it!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #28
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

No way in hell would I put up with my child coming home smelling of smoke. As a matter of fact I'd report the day care to the state.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #29
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

It's time to find a new care provider. When you say get yor work done, I assume you are talking about homework, since you mentioned yor degree. Could you check around yor classes and see if there is anothe mom that perhaps you could trade care with? Or maybe you could pay a young single classmate to come to you.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #30
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

smoking alone would be a deal breaker, no amount of savings is worth that to me. Id probably report her to the state too.

I would find alternative care right away, perhaps you can pay a retired person or student to come to your home and watch your daughter, while you look for another daycare
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote