Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
usnkbaal
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
3rd grade curriculum help

I am looking at SIngapore but not sure which to get for 3rd grade

Also need a recommendation for Language arts and spelling.

Thanks

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: 3rd grade curriculum help

I'd recommend Singapore Standards edition. You should get at least the Home Instructor's Guide, text, and workbook. Make sure your child places into it, though. Placement tests can be found online.

For spelling, I love All About Spelling. It's very thorough. We also use First Language Lessons for grammar and Writing With Ease.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We use Rod and Staff for grammar. We don't do spelling. Reading is also Rod and Staff at that age.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I like Spell By Color for Kearnan, the first year is free and he finally is starting to get spelling which is a big deal for him. For Tharen I just use http://www.mhschool.com/reading/trea.../national.html They are free and easy to use. Just print and go. It is essentially the same type of program you would use in public school. There is a grammar program and reading comp as well but I have been using Scott Foresman for grammar. http://www.sfreading.com/resources/ghb.html it is also free.

Next year (6th grade which will start in just a couple of weeks now) Kearnan will be using Hake Grammar (by Saxon) for grammar and writing. I think I am going to start using copy work for Tharen and possibly Kearnan as well. Tharen needs serious work on his handwriting and I'm not feeling this structured spelling program with him right now. I feel like copy work will help with his spelling, reading and writing all at the same time. We will just try it and see how it goes. His whole curric is more Waldorf, Kearnan is more classic/school at home.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote