Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
melissamomof3girls
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me how you told *less than thrilled* parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5lilmonkeys View Post
How we told our family we were expecting #5.
Very cute.

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #12
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpossible
My hubby and I did the divided up the duty. I told my mom and he told his parents. We know my mom would be happy but worried about me (I had a late term loss before this one). We also knew his parents would not be happy at all unless it turned out to be a boy and then they would change their tune. Honestly, they are STILL nasty about it and this baby is coming in just a few weeks. It's a girl and they were very upset about that too. So all that to say I told them that we are very happy about this baby and hope that they will be too but if not then they do not have to be involved at all. I would rather have loving grandparents or none then grandparents who see my child as a "burden" (their words at Christmas, lovely right?) They just feel that two is enough and having more then two is stupid.
This is so sad
Hugs
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #13
taylor's mom
Registered Users

for #4 (7th pregnancy), we waitied till 20wks and then sent a copy of the ultrasound picture in a card to both sets of grandparents. that way we didn't have to hear their negativity. for everyone else, i posted the picture on facebook after i knew our parents had gotten it, and put...

Baby #4 coming in July!!!

Yes, we're happy...No, it isn't an accident...Yes, we know how this happens...No, we're not crazy...Yes, we're fully aware that we "have our hands full" and we like it that way!

no one dared post a negative response
Old 02-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #14
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

I really like the idea of sending out an announcement so that you don't hear/see the first response. My MIL has been incredibly hateful about us having a large family (especially mostly boys) and her first response when I told her about #5 was "OMG someone needs to get fixed! This is ridiculous!". There is no preparing her gently that their might be another, she will flat out argue and push to pay for a vasectomy. She kept telling us that we needed to be prepared that we would be hearing terrible comments from others when I was pg with #5, but really she was the only one like that. She said terrible things that I won't repeat about that we had boys for #4 and #5 and favors her daughter who had a baby girl strongly over our kids. It is really sad and terrible.

I recently miscarried #6 (unplanned, but very wanted) and we had been dreading telling her. Dh kept saying we just wouldn't tell her and it didn't matter because we were so happy to be having another. We didn't even tell her that we had a loss despite being devastated by it and I have stayed clear of her in general since. I really want to TTC in a couple months and I am trying to think of how we would deal with announcing so she can't steal our joy. We would be really grateful and thrilled for a healthy baby and I just can't deal with her nonsense after losing one. I think that link had some great ideas.

Last edited by FernHollow; 02-03-2013 at 09:33 AM.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #15
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

My mother became very vocal with her opinion that we should stop having children when I was pregnant with our 4th. We knew we weren't done, but she just wasn't having it.
I know my mom, how she thinks & operates, so it didn't phase me. However, it really annoyed my Dh that she thought she had any right to an opinion regarding how many children we have, especially considering she rarely spends time with them, nor do we ever rely on her to help out financially in any way. We get by fine, and we love having a large family.

So anyhow... when we got pregnant with #5, I announced it on Facebook. LOL! And then when we got pregnant with #6, I also announced it on Facebook. That is how she found out. She called within a few minutes each time and we just let it ring. I knew she wasn't calling to be pleasant and neither of us cared to hear her negative response.. so we just gave her a few days to digest it. She did reply to the FB post, but she won't publically say what she says to us, so her response wasn't too bad. In the few days we avoided her, I assume she figured out why.. because when we did finally speak, she was decently respectful about it; although far from excited.. but I didn't care.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #16
melissamomof3girls
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow. Some of your stories are so sad.

When we told our parents about #4 my husband took a picture of me in a shirt with a "bun in the oven" and we sent it my parents. They live a couple miles down the road, so it wasn't because they live far away, but rather to give them time to process the information. My mom never said anything negative to me while I was pregnant with him, but wasn't really involved or excited.

They have made enough comments since his birth that I know they DON'T want us to have more. I know they are coming from a sense of worry for my health & stress, but they don't understand I trust my Maker and that He is the giver of life and will help me through each day. Do hard times come? YES! Is there stress? YES! But there is also unmatched joy and I am looking at my children with an eternal perspective. We are raising children to be Holy, share the Gospel, and be like Jesus.

We don't care about the latest toys, electronic gadgets, extravagant vacations, or any of that! We care about time and hearts.

I hope each of you find peace with your parents over the matter and congratulations on all of your precious blessings!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #17
mommamitchell
Registered Users

My Mood:

I know my mom thinks Husband and I should be done. Our 1st son was born 5 days before his due date but #2 son was 4 weeks early and #3 son was 5 weeks early. She just worries about me and any baby I may carry again coming too early. And I understand her concern. But I had to have a talk with her a while back because every conversation we had would have to include her telling me to get on some form of BC. I am 28, I think if I wanted to get on BC I am intelligent enough to make a dr appointment to get on something. But that is not for us. I have not even told her we are thinking about adding a #4. I don't want to hear her voice all her concerns. As they are the same concerns I have.
mommamitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #18
poohbear1208
Registered Users
seller

I am totally in this boat right now. 18 weeks pregnant with #5 and still haven't told either of our parents. Hubby's parents probably won't care, but I know mine think we should have been done with #3, though they were happy about #4........ Baby #4 was my first post- cancer baby, so I know they worried about my health then, and we got lots of extended family comments "is that safe to have babies after breast cancer?!" Um, yes, we talked to my onc numerous times about it...... So I can already hear everyone when we break the news about this one . I feel like by the time I get up the nerve to tell anyone, my pregnancy will be half over, which is kind of a bummer........
poohbear1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #19
melissamomof3girls
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear1208 View Post
I am totally in this boat right now. 18 weeks pregnant with #5 and still haven't told either of our parents. Hubby's parents probably won't care, but I know mine think we should have been done with #3, though they were happy about #4........ Baby #4 was my first post- cancer baby, so I know they worried about my health then, and we got lots of extended family comments "is that safe to have babies after breast cancer?!" Um, yes, we talked to my onc numerous times about it...... So I can already hear everyone when we break the news about this one . I feel like by the time I get up the nerve to tell anyone, my pregnancy will be half over, which is kind of a bummer........
I'm so sorry. It sounds like you've had a really rough road. Congratulations on #5! And 2nd post cancer baby! That's wonderful!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #20
poohbear1208
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissamomof3girls

I'm so sorry. It sounds like you've had a really rough road. Congratulations on #5! And 2nd post cancer baby! That's wonderful!
Thanks hon
poohbear1208 is offline   Reply With Quote