Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

Runners who are EBF

I have an almost 6 month old who is EBF. (No solids yet). I was running 3 mi a few times a week before I got pregnant and ran a 5k race. I have not run much since and I would like to get back at it. I am also considering signing up and training for my first half marathon in November. How will running affect my supply? Any tips? I work out of home and pump 3x a day about 15 oz total and still nurse twice a night.

Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Runners who are EBF

My DD is 4 months. I've been running and walking when I can, averaging about 3-15 miles a week (depending on my work schedule). It hasn't affected my supply so far, but perhaps it's because I make sure to stay hydrated and to always pump when I need to. I've only been at my very inconsistent routine for about a month now.

I did notice, though, that after my first 3 mile run, I got incredibly light headed because I ran right after work, where I had a very small lunch and no breakfast. On days when I know I'll be running a few miles, I make sure to eat breakfast and lunch, high in protein and with plenty of water.

I also stumbled upon this blog before starting up my c25k routine again.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
Ainmemphis
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm currently training for a half Marathon for November running hasn't affected my supply at all although pushing the jogging stroller makes my running take longer. I have a 3 month old.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
saturn
Registered Users

I've been jogging and exercising since my baby was about 10 weeks old, and I don't think it affects your milk supply much at all. Just be extra careful to keep hydrated, especially on the longer training runs as it gets warmer. Also, if you do decide to train for the half marathon, get a good sports bra made of a high-tech fabric and some Bodyglide. I've run a half and full marathon, and on longer runs my cotton blend sports bras chafed (ouch).
Good luck!
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

As long as you stay hydrated and eat plenty of calories, your supply should be fine.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!

And invest in a GOOD bra. Enell is what I recommend to my friends. (I have one that I'm not using. Pm me if you want it for cheap!)
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

I run 5mi 5-6times a week and nearly ebf a 21mo. Stay hydrated, eat healthy.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

My biggest problem was that my DS doesn't like the way I smell when I come back from running or other strenuous exercise. He won't nurse until I take a shower.

Other than that, I have not had any problems with supply due to exercise, some calorie restriction, etc. (I have lost 27 lbs since my DS was about 6 months old and am thankfully back to my pre-first-baby weight).
Old 04-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

Thanks all! I'm signed up for the Disney wine and dine half marathon 4 days before my 30th birthday and on my LO's 1st birthday. Hubby is going to train and run with me! Excited and working towards my goal of nursing for 1 year
Old 04-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
Ainmemphis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van1300 View Post
Thanks all! I'm signed up for the Disney wine and dine half marathon 4 days before my 30th birthday and on my LO's 1st birthday. Hubby is going to train and run with me! Excited and working towards my goal of nursing for 1 year
That's the one I'm wanting to do but dh won't let me register until I've run the whole distance and I'm only up to 6miles. I'm praying it doesn't sell out first!