Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
mizzlizzbeck
Registered Users

My Mood:
Can't figure out what's upsetting baby's tummy

I'm breastfeeding my almost 4-week old, and he's been very gassy and irritable since my milk came in. I stopped eating spicy food, eliminated gassy foods from my diet, eliminated dairy and everything and it seems like the gassiness is getting worse. His poo has never gotten "seedy" at all, and the last diaper I changed had green poop with mucousy stuff in it! I don't know what else to do, and he seems so uncomfortable. He nurses well, but gets very fussy when he has to poo or let out some gas, which is interfering with him sleeping. Any thoughts? I don't know what else I can pull from my diet.

Advertisement

mizzlizzbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Have you tried just getting some gas drops? DD2 was like this, I was convinced she had food allergies, but she didn't. Just a gassy baby. It mostly went away by 6-8 weeks. Unless you think you have over supply or foremilk/hind milk imbalance issues?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
mizzlizzbeck
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Can't figure out what's upsetting baby's tummy

We did gas drops for a couple of days and they didn't really do anything. I wasn't really concerned until the green poo happened, that freaked me out. I read somewhere that green poo with mucous could indicate a dairy sensitivity, but I cut dairy out of my diet a little over 2 weeks ago and that didn't happen until this morning. I don't know much about foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, and I've never had any problems with over supply. (my last child BFed for 18 mos, never had any of these issues)
Old 04-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dairy can last 3 weeks in your system, and an additional 3 weeks in the baby's. This also includes beef! When we figured that out, we were taking Jarro's probiotics (found in the refrigerated section of Whole Foods) to help with digestive issues. You can take it yourself or you can open a capsule, mix with some water, and make a paste to put on your areola for baby to take directly.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
mizzlizzbeck
Registered Users

My Mood:

I didn't realize it took that long for dairy to get out of your system, our ped said 2 weeks. I'll give it more time. We don't eat red meat at all, so that's not a problem. I'll try out the probiotics this week. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzlizzbeck View Post
I didn't realize it took that long for dairy to get out of your system, our ped said 2 weeks. I'll give it more time. We don't eat red meat at all, so that's not a problem. I'll try out the probiotics this week. Thanks!
Our pedi sort of brushed it off as well. Pediatricians aren't really that well trained in regards to breastfeeding. I figured it out from threads on here, as well as Kellymom.com. The probiotics were tried after my DD's chiropractor suggested it to help with her digestive issues.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
rchamberlain
Registered Users
seller

I agree - sounds like dairy. It took awhile to get out of my milk supply, too. Some babies are even sensitive to it in baked goods, too. Be careful of chocolate, also. My middle child had a dairy sensitivity and I had to avoid it for 17 months. Ughhhh...
I love my Jesus
rchamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Could also be over supply. Baby could be getting too much fore milk. Do you feed on both sides every feeding?
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
lindsaydud
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Our ped recommended mixing a half capsule of adult Culturelle with expressed breast milk and giving it to LO with an eye dropper to help with gassiness. That version of Culturelle is allergen-free.
lindsaydud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
mizzlizzbeck
Registered Users

My Mood:

He has been recently, but I let him decide how long he stays on the breast. He's spending about 30 minutes on the first one, then around 10 on the second. I offer him the first one again if he comes off, usually a couple of times before he gets mad and wants to switch sides.