Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
firststella's Avatar
firststella
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,377
My Mood:
RF height limit - im confused!

I have a maxi Cosi pria 70 installed RF for my almost 3yo DD. The manual says that the RF height limit is reached when the top of the child's head is at the level of the top of the seat.
BUT the side wings (that are for the side impact protection) go higher than the seat back itself (when I adjust the harness higher so the shoulder straps are correctly positioned considering DD shoulders height).
So, is it correct to consider that: as long as the top of her head is under the top of these side-impact wings, she can RF?
(I am pretty sure I'll have to turn her FF in 4months when DD3 will be born, to be able to fit 3 car seats in the back row, but I want to be sure I'm doing things correctly.)

Thank you all for your help!

Advertisement

firststella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
Fishie Kisses's Avatar
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SJV, CA
Posts: 17,654
My Mood:
Re: RF height limit - im confused!

Someone can correct me if there are special circumstances, but I thought the maximum height is when they are within 1 inch of the top of the seat
__________________
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:51 AM   #3
acwakip's Avatar
acwakip
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Quincy, IL
Posts: 2,718
My Mood:
Re: RF height limit - im confused!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses View Post
Someone can correct me if there are special circumstances, but I thought the maximum height is when they are within 1 inch of the top of the seat
That is my understanding as well.
acwakip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
bcb1961's Avatar
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,162
Re: RF height limit - im confused!

Yeah I'm not a tech but I think the "top of the seat" is referring to the top of the hard plastic shell.
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
bcb1961's Avatar
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,162
Re: RF height limit - im confused!

Yeah I'm not a tech but I think the "top of the seat" is referring to the top of the hard plastic shell.
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
Computermama
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 13,800
My Mood:
Re: RF height limit - im confused!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses View Post
Someone can correct me if there are special circumstances, but I thought the maximum height is when they are within 1 inch of the top of the seat
That is the general rule, but some manufacturers allow different things, which this would be the case. General rules are always trumped by manufacturer guidelines.

I would personally ignore the headwings in this instance and go by the back of the seat. Not a tech however.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
jjordan
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,810
Re: RF height limit - im confused!

General rules of thumb are always trumped by what the manual says. I believe that the Pria says the seat is outgrown RF at 40" or when the top of the head goes over the top of the seat, whichever comes first. Unless it specifically says the top of the head piece, you assume that it's the main shell of the seat that they're referring to. HTH!
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
firststella's Avatar
firststella
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,377
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan
General rules of thumb are always trumped by what the manual says. I believe that the Pria says the seat is outgrown RF at 40" or when the top of the head goes over the top of the seat, whichever comes first. Unless it specifically says the top of the head piece, you assume that it's the main shell of the seat that they're referring to. HTH!
Yes. That sounds more like I understand it. But I don't understand then why the headwings go higher than the seat shell?
firststella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
monica-m's Avatar
monica-m
Registered Users
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 2,312
My Mood:
Re: RF height limit - im confused!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firststella View Post
Yes. That sounds more like I understand it. But I don't understand then why the headwings go higher than the seat shell?
It's to provide extra head protection for the tall forward facing child. The seat is outgrown when the overall height limit is reached, the shoulders go over the top harness slot, or the tops of the ears go over the shell of the seat, whichever comes first. The extra height of the headwings helps protect the head of the tall forward facer that has not quite outgrown the seat.
__________________
CPST-I and SAHM to DS
monica-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
firststella's Avatar
firststella
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,377
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m

It's to provide extra head protection for the tall forward facing child. The seat is outgrown when the overall height limit is reached, the shoulders go over the top harness slot, or the tops of the ears go over the shell of the seat, whichever comes first. The extra height of the headwings helps protect the head of the tall forward facer that has not quite outgrown the seat.
Oh ok thank you for the info! That makes things clear to me!
firststella is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.