Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #41
HappiMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Why do people hate cloth?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirst View Post
My family is fine about the cloth diapers but they have also made comments about my son's amber necklace. It is true, by the way, that you can't control the amount of succinic acid absorbed through the skin (which is why I don't leave it on my son all day, frankly)....but that's not what they commented on. My Dad said it was "hippie" and made comments to my son about, how he's going to end up "busking on the street, playing guitar with his hippie necklace on". hhahahah. I actually thought to myself, "well, that's fine if that's what he wants to do... I like guitar."

Why do people see cloth diapers and amber and instantly think "hippie"?
I am super interested in the amber necklaces and don't know much about them. My instinct is not to let by baby have anything around her neck, but it seems like these are good things?

Anyway, the hippee comments are my Dad all the way!! OMG he thinks I'm a freak for breastfeeding my daughter until she was 2!

Advertisement

HappiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #42
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teexie View Post
Because it is gross. That's what I used to think of CD. Why put all that effort into cleaning poopy diapers when you can just throw them away? Obviously I have changed my thinking

Also just typical mommy wars. Oh you think your cloth diapers are better for your baby than my disposables? Allow me to loudly voice my opinion about how they're not
This was me. I was not interested in dunking, soaking, spraying or scraping. Once someone introduced me to flushable liners, I was sold.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #43
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothergooseofthree
Often, it is just like any other decision in life....if you do something different from others, for some reason they are offended. I got it when I used cloth, when I breastfed, when people hear about my diva cup, and when I started homeschooling. I hear it when I tell others that we don't own paper plates or that I don't eat things in a box. I think basically it boils down to the fact that people are accustomed to convenience, and when you go against the "norm" then they take it as you saying that their decisions are inferior.
I complete agree! I think sposies have become the norm and people are just freaked out by cloth since many people have no experience with it. I was fortunate that none of our family members said too much but a few of my friends thought I was crazy. What's funny, is that's couple of them ended up saying they wish they had CD'd their kiddos because it made a lot of sense, after the fact.

Also, mothergoose, I do the same thing as you re: sitters and grandparents (leave prestuffed aplix pockets and a wet bag for the poopies and tell them to leave it for me to deal with). How is it any different than sposies? It's crazy that your mil wanted to argue over that...

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #44
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster2012
I love all these answers and I love even more that we are all so passionate about cloth. I personally started cloth diapering because I thought it was cute and different, but now am glad that its better for my baby and for the environment. Besides you ladies, I don't really know anyone who CDs (besides you ladies ), but I know a lot of people who have teased me and such for CDing. It's seems like people aren't informed about modern diapering... Just as disposables have improved, so has cloth. One of my friends who is a real environmentalist (she's a geologist by trade), actually makes fun of me the most! I'm pretty sure it's because she feels guilty that she doesn't CD.
Yeah, ironically, the only person who still makes cracks to me about how word CDing is is our super-hippie friend who won't eat anything that isn't organic and who worries about everything in his house. Yet, his kid only got formula b/c they thought bf was inconvenient and never tried it and he wears sposies. Go figure. (PS, this is not a slam on formula-feeding at all - my kid had tons of formula. But I tried BFing and will try again with this one. If you're mega hippie, why wouldn't you at least try it??? )

lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #45
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiMom View Post
I am super interested in the amber necklaces and don't know much about them. My instinct is not to let by baby have anything around her neck, but it seems like these are good things?
I don't leave it on him when he's sleeping...only when I can directly supervise him because if it were to break, even though they are double strung and knotted between each bead, it's still a choking hazard. But as far as I'm concerned it does help, and (as a chronic pain patient myself due to a broken neck some years ago) I know first-hand that there is a lot we still don't know about pain. People used to think acupuncture and trigger point injections were bunk, but I know first-hand that they are not and they have saved my life.

Ps. some insects use succinic acid and formic acid (very close) to freeze their prey, and we have receptors for, too.

Last edited by kirst; 01-30-2013 at 01:44 PM.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #46
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko

I don't think I have ever been looked down on for using cloth. Some people think I am weird but not just for our cloth. Also because of our extended breastfeeding and co sleeping. The last 2 are in their opinion much weirder than cloth diapers. And of course our wool which to them is totally separate from cloth diapers.
And add homeschool and making your own beauty products into the mix and you are downright nuts! And don't even bring up family cloth lol. I think my family thinks I've lost my mad!
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #47
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
Yeah, ironically, the only person who still makes cracks to me about how word CDing is is our super-hippie friend who won't eat anything that isn't organic and who worries about everything in his house. Yet, his kid only got formula b/c they thought bf was inconvenient and never tried it and he wears sposies. Go figure. (PS, this is not a slam on formula-feeding at all - my kid had tons of formula. But I tried BFing and will try again with this one. If you're mega hippie, why wouldn't you at least try it??? )

Yeah, nothing against formula because my son ended up needing it and I am very thankful to the chemists at Abbott for making alternatives so babies don't starve but that does seem weird that someone would insist on all organic everything and then not even try breastfeeding or cloth diapers.

And to be making fun of others for cloth and BF...that's just really bizarre, actually.

Last edited by kirst; 01-30-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #48
kelly679
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Poop! I tell you what if I knew when the kids were going to poop I would use a sposie every time! Pee diapers are fine, no problem. But poopy ones? Bleh!
kelly679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #49
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Someone posted that cloth diapers were for poor people when disposables came out. My mom said cloth diapering and breastfeeding were both looked at like you didn't have the money for disposables or formula so there was a stigma attached to it. I'm not really sure how I ended up doing these things because I really had no support. Guess my stubborn streak paid off.

I was one of the people that said I'd like to cloth diaper before she was born but didn't think it was for me. When she was about 2 months old I started looking into it and asked my hubby if he wanted to try it. Money was tight so he said ok...I think he was just humoring me lol. 6 1/2 months later I'm still saving $70/month (as long as you don't count the cloth addiction :/)
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #50
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly679 View Post
Poop! I tell you what if I knew when the kids were going to poop I would use a sposie every time! Pee diapers are fine, no problem. But poopy ones? Bleh!
See that is what I had kind of originally planned because my son is super predictable with his #2s....but cloth contains him better and I quickly tired of disposable blow-outs when travelling with him. I found it's actually the opposite that I would do...or even throw a cover over a sposie when I thought he would poo. Nothing like trying to clean up a blow out beside the road or in an aiplane bathroom to totally make you give up sposies.