Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Here is a prefold tutorial for those who would like one :)

This is the fold that I personally like best. This was done with my son was about 4 months old. The prefold is a little bit big for him, so keep in mind that a properly sized prefold will be a bit less bulky. This is a medium Thirsties cover. As he got older, I did find that I needed to add a doubler when using a prefold. At the end of the post, I will show a prefold with pins.

Lay out your prefold.

Place baby on top of prefold.

Fold the front of the prefold up to the correct rise for your baby. (Note, the back of the prefold may be folded down instead, I just prefere the front. Or the back and front may each be folded a little bit).

Fold one side over to a third of the way.

Then fold the other side over on top of the first.

Make sure that the baby's butt is on the INSIDE of the fold on both sides. This will help contain poop inside the prefold better than if baby was on top of the fold.

Pull the front of the diaper up.

Pull one side of the front over, unfolding enough to wrap around the hip to meet the back of the diaper.

Pull the back of the diaper around to the front of the baby's hip.

Attach your Snappi to the first side.

Stretch the Snappi accross to the other hip and secure it, making sure the fit is nice and snug.

Pull down the bottom part of the Snappi, snuggly.

Secure the bottom of the Snappi.

Check the sides of the diaper, in the thigh area, to make sure baby's butt is totally covered. If it's looser than you would like, simply undo one side of the Snappy, pull the leg area tighter, then re-attach. In this picture, you can see the side is a little loose. Simply undo that one side of the Snappi, pull the diaper snug, and re-attach the Snappi, repeat with the other side.

Slide the cover under the baby.

Pull the front of the cover up.

And then pull one side over to secure.

Repeat with the other side.

Check the thighs to make sure the diaper is totally tucked inside the cover.

If not, then tuck it in.

Check the back of the diaper.. if it looks like this...

Then tuck that in too...

And voila... a prefold with Snappi and Thirsties cover.

This is the same child, about age 18 months, in that same size prefold, using pins. I like to pin with the wings at the back. I find that i can get a snugger fit that way.

From the back.

Side view.

Front view.

As you can see, with practice it's a nice snug fit that will only sag a little when wet. Also, it's been my experience that if you pin with your pins up and down you get a snugger more "stay put" fit than when trying to pin with the pins in a horizontal position. There is less room for the diaper to shift sideways, resulting in a snugger fit. You still need to make sure to get as much of the pin covered with fabric as possible, or you will get more sagging. If at fist you don't succeed, try try again!!! It takes practice, but soon, you'll get it. I like using pins to go coverless, because there is not the risk of injury like with the Snappis. I use the TinyTush pins, and purchase them at www.sewcraftybaby.com because she has free shipping, and great customer service!

Hope this helps someone.

God bless,
Michelle

Advertisement

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!

Last edited by Michelle_M; 05-31-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Here is a prefold tutorial for those who would like one :)

The first picture worked the other links didn't

Deanna
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
lele0803
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am only seeing the first picture

lele0803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
magooken
Registered Users
seller

magooken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

its fixed. I personaly found folding my prefold down in the front too bulky for my DD (but I imangine it be better with a boy) However I would eaither fold it in the front out towards me instead of her or fold th back part out as well I sometimes did a jelly roll other times a more traditional angle wing.
Here is how I did it with a jelly roll and the front part folded down towards the front. The roll is loose here because I needed to hold the camera LOL and really this doll doesn't need the rise folded down so the fron is a little messy but you get the idea.

HEre is the angle wing fold with the bulk folded out towars the back I found this helped trim the entire diaper down and kept the sides from bulking out. With this fold the leg gussets fall lower on the thigh I overall foudn this an effective method but it did require a cover that would accomdate that. It could be rolled in with out issues though.

And for those that find them selfs in an odd pinch needing to fit a larger cover on a smaller baby. Here is a ME rickky wrap size small on a doll that really needs the XS size First shows what it looks like not adjusted for the smaller rise... Its not a recommended thing but it can work I've done with with many diffrent covers including the new econobum and flip covers.

HTH this is why I love prefolds soo many diffrent ways to make it work just so four your little one.

Deanna
Old 11-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wow deanna! love the way you made that cover fit! great thread!
Old 11-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #7
cjs4kids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Such a FABULOUS thread!!!
I'm going to try this out with my prefolds.....I have a dozen...but have only tried them about 4 times. I have serious troubles with folding & fitting my DS.
ISO: OLD STYLE Fuzzi Buns sz S & M No pinks. PM me!
cjs4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
MommyMandi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nice! I can so do that. Thanks, ladies. Definitely helping me decide how to diaper the new one!
Old 11-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #9
GymboChickadee
Registered Users

My Mood:

what covers have you discovered work the best with prefolds and a small baby? I'll be doing mostly prefolds for my twins when they're born but I want to make sure I buy covers that can accomodate the extra bulk a prefold might have
GymboChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:01 PM   #10
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymboChickadee View Post
what covers have you discovered work the best with prefolds and a small baby? I'll be doing mostly prefolds for my twins when they're born but I want to make sure I buy covers that can accomodate the extra bulk a prefold might have
Some of my favorites the thirsties both sized and the duo the bummi wraps both the super and the superbrite the ME rickky (shown above) I found all of these seem to work well even if the diaper under is bulkier.

Deanna