Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

Job Interview tomorrow - how should I prepare?

I have a job interview tomorrow morning and I really want the job. I haven't interviewed anywhere in over 5 years and would love some pointers. The interview is at a 3 lawyer firm, and all three are men over 60, if that makes a difference. There is no HR department.

I've reviewed my resume, printed of university transcripts (in case they ask for them) and am brushing up on their practice areas. My suit is freshly dry-cleaned, shoes are polished, and I've got 3 pairs of back-up pantyhose in my purse. What else should I do?

Advertisement

Layney82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
90924teeth
Registered Users
seller

Have you been out of the workforce or you're just looking for a new job?
I would say that you should address your children/childcare at some point without them even asking you. They'll want to know that you can be on time and have back ups for sick babies. I think it is always on their minds even if they can't legally ask so it shows responsibility if you just lay it out on the table.
Make eye contact and use a firm handshake.
90924teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

Re: Job Interview tomorrow - how should I prepare?

I've been out of the workforce for 3.5 years as a SAHM. They already know this, since I addressed it in my cover letter. I don't actually have childcare yet, but I know of a couple daycare centres in town that have openings in their preschool rooms, so that shouldn't be a problem. I do expect it to be a somewhat flexible job if DS is sick; between us, DH and I should be able to cover it since he can work from home. That's a good point though. I'll do more research so I have a plan in place if they ask.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
FairSailing188
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

While I would answer questions about kids if brought up, don't make it the overall topic of conversation. Make sure to point out aspects of being a SAHM that translate to work environments (strong leader, multi-tasker, calm under pressure, thinking outside of the box, etc.). Also, take a lint roller and some baby wipes with you and maybe an extra shirt just in case you have any clothing mishaps on the way. Good luck!

Under normal circumstances I'd say I told you so. But, as I have told so with such vehemence and frequency already the phrase has lost all meaning. Therefore, I will be replacing it with the phrase, I have informed you thusly.
FairSailing188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairSailing188 View Post
While I would answer questions about kids if brought up, don't make it the overall topic of conversation. Make sure to point out aspects of being a SAHM that translate to work environments (strong leader, multi-tasker, calm under pressure, thinking outside of the box, etc.). Also, take a lint roller and some baby wipes with you and maybe an extra shirt just in case you have any clothing mishaps on the way. Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback. I actually found out this morning that I got the job The lint roller and baby wipes are great ideas and I will keep some in my purse from now on.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
FairSailing188
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layney82 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I actually found out this morning that I got the job The lint roller and baby wipes are great ideas and I will keep some in my purse from now on.
Congrats! Those are also especially helpful once you start back to work; the time in the mornings between getting dressed and getting to work can have a ton of mishaps.

Under normal circumstances I'd say I told you so. But, as I have told so with such vehemence and frequency already the phrase has lost all meaning. Therefore, I will be replacing it with the phrase, I have informed you thusly.
FairSailing188 is offline   Reply With Quote