Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2007, 12:27 PM   #1
conover007
Registered Users

Smile Screaming in car seat- advice please!!!

My ds is 6.5 months old and has just recently started HATING his car seat! (in the last 3 weeks or so). He has been a great traveler up to this point, and used to just fall asleep. Now he just screams bloody murder the entire time. He'll quit crying as soon as you even go toward him to get him out, but immediately resumes crying when you get near the seat to put him back in!

Any advice? Seat is comfy, straps aren't too tight, diaper is clean and dry, he's been fed, not colicky... I even sit in the back next to him most of the time and he still screams. Toys and distractions have not worked either.

Advertisement

conover007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Screaming in car seat- advice please!!!

What kind of seat is it?
My DD grew to HATE her infant seat. Once we changed her to a convertible seat, she was fine.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:33 PM   #3
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

I second the convertable seat, I also think that if your lo has just gotten mobile, then they might be part of the problem-doesn't want to be confined. If lo was happy for 6mths in the seat, there is something going on that is making him/her cry and it is often something as simple as the child wanting to move around. I have had several babies that screamed in the carseat, but they started from the ride home from the agency and cried all the time-a couple of them were reflux babies and the carseat irritated the refulx. I had two that started crying in the carseat when they were about 4-5 mths, I switched to a convertable seat and they were happy again.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
bluebonnet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I moved my dd to a convertable seat at 5 mo and it made a difference. Not night and day, but she was happy more often.

I also have a great CD of children's songs that is very peppy that I put on and sing along with. I'm not always in the mood for this, but to this day (she's 15 mo now), my singing in the car to the CD almost always makes her happy.

Good luck. It is hard, but you can't stay home forever....
Old 05-16-2007, 01:11 PM   #5
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh goodness, DS hated his car seat (convertible and infant) forever. The only thing that would hush him was me giving him the breast while sitting in the back next to him. As long as he had something to amuse him (foodwise) he would be "okay" but still, I would have to make very short trips with him. He grew out of it around 1 but now the problem is not after he's in the seat, is getting him in it! He will hang off the car door like a monkey and refuse to let go!
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:22 PM   #6
Snazzy Fannies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch_babe View Post
Oh goodness, DS hated his car seat (convertible and infant) forever. The only thing that would hush him was me giving him the breast while sitting in the back next to him.
Please reconsider doing this in the future. This is an extremely dangerous practice for both you and your child. #1...you could smother/crush your child in an accident. #2...you are out of position and therefor not fully protected by your seat belt....and if you took your seat belt off...then you were a 100-300lbs (?) projectile. Seriously, this is not something you should be considering.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:26 PM   #7
OwensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes I recommend the convertible seat as well. It makes a lot of difference for a lot of people.

Also if he has good head control for his age, children can actually be MORE upright in a rear facing car seat. You don't need to pay attention to the level lines or indicators, those are only for newborns and to help keep their airway open. I wouldn't put it too upright since he is so young, but you do not need it at 45 degrees anymore.
OwensMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:44 PM   #8
HBuehler
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ethan was the same way...didn't matter what seat he was in he hated them all..luckly he now Loves to go for rides.
I've done the breast feeding with him as well in the car...makes a much nicer trip..sorry momma but you don't have to unbuckle yourself or be out of position either-leaning over the seat etc. Luckly I have tinted windows..couldn't you just amagine someone passing you on the interstate and glancing in the car seeing that Guess that could be dangerous
Old 05-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #9
deb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've found taping their mouth shut really helps...

seriously, I second the conv carseat, and I also agree about the music in the car. Both of my kids have always stopped fussing as soon as music is on.

Last edited by deb; 05-16-2007 at 06:15 PM.
deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:48 PM   #10
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For dd getting her old enough and big enough to face forward was the only thing that helped. She HATED her carseat (infant or convertable) from pretty much day one. She'd scream and scream pretty much the whole time. It got to the point it was so distracting to drive we just couldn't take her anywhere. We flipped her forward once she hit 20lbs (over a year old since she's little) and that helped a ton. Now at 2 1/2 she's finally a good traveller but it took a long time.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote