Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
MommaTooters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
In-home child care moms

I've got a couple questions for you! I'm thinking about taking in a couple kids during the day images of going back to work full time in four weeks. Just two - three. Nothing major. But I'm curious how to handle a few things...

What do you do when YOU are sick? More than just a head cold or something.

What if a sibling (school age) to one of the children you keep is sick with something contagious like the flu...do you still watch them?

What about dr appointments for you or your own children?

And what if one of your own children are sickly?

I think that's it for now!! Thanks in advance ladies!!

Advertisement

MommaTooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Re: In-home child care moms

If I was sick or my child then I'd call the parents as soon as possible in the morning to let them know. They are responsible for finding alternate care. If another child in the family was sick most likely the parents would be home and keep both children home. I wouldn't refuse caring for a child unless they were actually sick, unless, being pregnant a sibling had like fifths or something. For appointments I give two weeks notice, I ask the same of parents. If a child becomes sick during the day the parents are called and expected to come get their child as soon as possible or have someone on their contact list come get them.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
MommyZ of 2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am a substitute for an in home daycare ran by friend. I cover appointments and such for her for a few hours. I also am her housekeeper, so I'm there every Tuesday anyway, so she tries to schedule appointments on Tuesday afternoons after I finish the cleaning. When she or her family gets sick, I usually end up with at least one or two at my house, same when she goes on vacation. All of the parents have my phone number and have been to my house for parties and stuff.
I am an approved substitute, and have had a background check. My children also have immunization records on file at her house, even though they don't really attend. I am paid for my time, but legally, I'm not supposed to be.
MommyZ of 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've been doing this for YEARS, and have only taken a few days off for illness. I take planned vacations though.

I usually work through the illness. If it's bad enough,i'll order pizza that day and we watch a lot of tv. I'll even lay on the couch with my lap top on my stomach and play youtube videos for them.

If I think i'm contagious and I DIDN'T get it from the kids, I'll call the parents to let them decide. But, I can't even remember a time that I caught something that they didn't already have. So, we just roll with it.

If a sibling is sick, I still take them, if a parent is sick, I still take them.

I worry a lot more during flu season, but it's part of life. I get annoyed when the daycare parents take the kids to the play place at McDonalds during flu season, but I can't control it, I just deal with it.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids go to an inhome provider-

~In 2.5 years she has never called and told us she was sick.

~If my kids are sick I or DH stays home with the sick kid. Depending on the day/how sick the kids is the well kid may still go to daycare

~Our DCP trys to schedule her appointments (or her kids appointments) so that it is as convient as possible for us. If she has to close she gives us 2 weeks notice.

~If I am home sick--the kids still go (except maybe the baby since she is nusring)

~If I am home or DH is home on vacation the kids still go for part of the day. (we have to pay if they are there or not)

~If one of her kids are sick, my kids still go

~If the kids are puking, running a fever, or have diarria they do not go

~If my kids get sick during the day, depending on how sick I either come get them ASAP or right after nap. I pick up at 3pm so if it is right before nap and they are not puking she is fine with them staying till I get there.