Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Teach me about essential oils!

Okay..I'm sure this will sound completely ignorant, and I guess I am in a lot of ways, but I know pretty much nothing about natural/organic/homemade(except SOME foods)/anything that isn't just store bought. I'm so interested in learning more about these kinds of things and incorporating them into our lifestyle, but I need to learn first!

Essential oils? The only thing I know about them is that they're called essential oils, lol...what are they used for? Are they considered a natural type of thing and do they have health benefits? I've heard people refer to them lots of times, but I never really got any further into it. Are they just for smells, or do they have actual uses? I was just reading a DIY recipe for bath salts, and it uses essential oils. Please tell me everything that you know about them, no matter how simple or obvious it may be (b/c I definitely won't know it!). Thanks!

Advertisement

dancingingrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I know that you can perfume wool dryer balls or your diaper pail with essential oils.
firststella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Teach me about essential oils!

This is a good resource http://www.auracacia.com/dspCatTxt.p...r=Aura%20Cacia

Or this one http://www.auracacia.com/auracacia/a...directory.html

Last edited by NotLad; 01-29-2013 at 10:06 PM.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

While there are some companies that make huge, erroneous health claims regarding their essential oils, indicating that they can cure various diseases, essential oils do have a variety of natural health benefits. Many are antibacterial, antifungal, and sometimes even antiviral. So they can be used in cleaning and sometimes applied to infections of the skin in carrier oils like jojoba or olive oil (almost never apply an essential oil directly w/o a carrier oil). Some oils also have the ability to relieve sinus pressure or ease sore joints or muscles. And so forth. And some people find that their moods/brain chemistry are really helped by various scents. For instance, lemon oil was the first thing that really helped a friend's son's OCD.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
polbell
Registered Users
seller

http://www.youngliving.com/en_US/wel...ssential-oils/

I am just now learning about them too
polbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the responses and the links, very helpful!! I'm excited to start trying some!!
dancingingrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429 View Post
While there are some companies that make huge, erroneous health claims regarding their essential oils, indicating that they can cure various diseases, essential oils do have a variety of natural health benefits. Many are antibacterial, antifungal, and sometimes even antiviral. So they can be used in cleaning and sometimes applied to infections of the skin in carrier oils like jojoba or olive oil (almost never apply an essential oil directly w/o a carrier oil). Some oils also have the ability to relieve sinus pressure or ease sore joints or muscles. And so forth. And some people find that their moods/brain chemistry are really helped by various scents. For instance, lemon oil was the first thing that really helped a friend's son's OCD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by polbell View Post
http://www.youngliving.com/en_US/wel...ssential-oils/

I am just now learning about them too

Hate to say this, but this link goes along side the post above.

Essential oils simply put are a liquid that is extracted by several methods from a natural source. So for example you get Citrus EO's from the skins of citrus fruit, Flowers can be treated in several methods as can green plants all to create a liquid of the source it is taken from. Some things like Rose EO are great for aging or dry skin, but are insanely expensive because it takes so many roses to create the tiniest bit of oil, Lavender has antiseptic properties and is great because it is also chea because the plant gives a high ratio of oil to natural material.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote