Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #431
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Deciding not to breast feed in advancei

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattayanna_mom View Post
Flame away but I think too many people rely on formula because it is so readily there, it is no longer used for it's intended purpose of emergency use. I feel that if more women had to rely on breastfeeding more women would do so.
Either by nursing themselves, using a wet nurse, donated milk ,etc before formula.
I think until donated milk becomes more readily and economically available, formula will be the go to for those who need to feed their babies without using their very own breasts. The networks are quite strong in some areas of the country and pretty sparse in other areas.

I'm trying to imagine how one can manage to use a wet nurse unless it's their next door neighbor and they both SAH/WAH.

ETA: You also have to take into account what the freezing process does to the breastmilk that is donated.

Advertisement

Last edited by mcpforever; 02-09-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #432
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtojande

No way would I choose a wet nurse or donated milk before formula. Breast milk is just not that much better. Not unless there is a rare medical issue.

Again, look at a class of Kindergarteners and try to pick out which was breastfed. You can't. It doesn't make that much difference.

I breastfed both kids, 6 months for one and 1 year for the other. But people go way over the top with imagining how horrible formula is in comparison.

And its "intended purpose" is whatever the

mother decides it is. Not necessarily
emergencies only.

Actually formula was created for emergency use either because a mother had died, did not make milk , there was not a wet nurse on hand or rare event baby could not have breast milk.
It was invented in the 1700 by Justus Liebug
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2684040/
http://www.vaccineriskawareness.com/...f-Formula-Milk
Old 02-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #433
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever

I think until donated milk becomes more readily and economically available, formula will be the go to for those who need to feed their babies without using their very own breasts. The networks are quite strong in some areas of the country and pretty sparse in other areas.
Sadly your right. I just want people to think if I could not get formula so easily what would I do/ have done?
Old 02-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #434
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Flame away but I think too many people rely on formula because it is so readily there, it is no longer used for it's intended purpose of emergency use. I feel that if more women had to rely on breastfeeding more women would do so.
Either by nursing themselves, using a wet nurse, donated milk ,etc before formula.
agreed 100%. When I needed to supplement I got as much donated milk as I could and then supplemented with formula. People don't realize how hazardous formula really is and I don't just mean with feeding children. I did a whole paper on artificial infant feeding and it really opened people's eyes.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #435
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:

I completely struggled with breastfeeding. I bought the best pump and all supplies I could afford, I spoke w/ at least 4 lactation consultants (I had weekly appointments with 1 of them), did tons of research when I was still pregnant and after my baby was born, had nursing covers to help w/ my anxiety of nursing in public, attended a LLL meeting, etc, etc, etc. I nursed my daughter full time for about 3 weeks, then had to start supplementing. At 6 weeks I was working 1 day a week and at 3 months, I was working 6 long days a week. We made it part time to 7 months. I love my daughter more than words can express, but every single feeding caused much pain for me. I had sharp, shooting pains, cracked nipples, was treated for thrush, tried using multiple products (cabbage leaves, breast ice packs, nipple covers, nipple shields, lanolin, etc) to help with the pain and it was just terrible. My supply was low and my daughter was slow to gain weight, so in addition to going to and from the pediatrician's office for weight checks and feeding consults, I ate oatmeal, drank orange juice, and whatever else I could do to make this work. Every bra and shirt hurt me since I was so sore. I cried so much over my failure as a mom b/c I couldn't EBF to 1 year. The first time I gave my daughter a bottle, we gazed into each others eyes and it was amazing. We did not bond until she was about 6.5 months old and I really think breastfeeding had a lot to do with that. Every time I fed her and she'd look away at something else, I would be in excruciating pain and would feel anger towards her. Did you hear that? I had anger towards my baby because she moved her head. I am all for breastfeeding, but usually when I read things about how breast is best, I think how I failed my child. If I knew anyone going through what I went through for as long as I did, I'd tell them to switch to formula. I am done having children, but I'm certain that I'd go through all of that again if I had another child because of all of the mommy guilt. If you breastfed your children for a long time, go you! Really, that's awesome, but PLEASE try not to judge other moms for not nursing. I think most everyone should try it, but if they don't want to or can't, it might be a better option for the mom and baby to just use formula and that's ok.
Slave to my
Old 02-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #436
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtojande View Post
Again, look at a class of Kindergarteners and try to pick out which was breastfed. You can't. It doesn't make that much difference.
You cannot tell by looking for a lot of things, I'm not sure why that keeps being said. Breastfeeding vs. formula feeding does, however, make a difference for public as well as individual health, not to mention the environmental cost. Multiple years and reams of research have determined this. Governments and world health organizations and other NGOs would not put millions of dollars into improving breastfeeding rates (even in first world countries) if the difference is as negligible as you're stating here.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #437
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Actually formula was created for emergency use either because a mother had died, did not make milk , there was not a wet nurse on hand or rare event baby could not have breast milk.
It was invented in the 1700 by Justus Liebug
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2684040/
http://www.vaccineriskawareness.com/...f-Formula-Milk
Well sure, but it's not as though 1700 was the advent of women choosing to not breastfeed...that was common practice among noble & upper class women, then increasingly among lower class women who needed to work. Yes, they mostly used wetnurses, but wetnursing was a legitimate profession for women at that time. And wetnursing was not without its problems (the use of opiates was noted in the NIH article you linked).

We frequently use things for reasons that were not the original purpose. It's not a great example, but the use of seizure medications to control Bipolar disorder is the one that comes most easily to my mind. Heck, knives were not always the refined tools we know today. Just because formula started for emergency use doesn't mean that the quality and use hasn't evolved since its advent. It is safer, more nutritionally sound, more affordable, and more accessible than it has been in the past...and that evolution came from necessity.

The soundness of formula grew by leaps and bounds in the last 50 or so years...which of course corresponds with the necessity of two-income families, women exercising their rights to the same educational and professional opportunities historically only extended to men and increased rates of single motherhood. The availability and affordability of donated milk and wetnursing just hasn't kept pace. Not to mention the weird commercialization of donor milk. Women are now given the choice of exorbitantly expensive, pasteurized, or unscreened donor milk...none of those are options I'm comfortable with. That's why, when DP's PCOS interfered with her ability to keep up w/ DD's demand, we didn't even consider donor milk & began supplementing with formula. And, truth be told, I think we both wish we had started earlier.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #438
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle

You cannot tell by looking for a lot of things, I'm not sure why that keeps being said. Breastfeeding vs. formula feeding does, however, make a difference for public as well as individual health, not to mention the environmental cost. Multiple years and reams of research have determined this. Governments and world health organizations and other NGOs would not put millions of dollars into improving breastfeeding rates (even in first world countries) if the difference is as negligible as you're stating here.
Thank you!
Old 02-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #439
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Umm yeah no. I would do formula way before a wet nurse. And talk about forcing people to do something with their bodies. You do what you want with your body but don't try to force that on to others.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #440
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf

Umm yeah no. I would do formula way before a wet nurse. And talk about forcing people to do something with their bodies. You do what you want with your body but don't try to force that on to others.
Oh jiminy freaking crickets! Think outside the box!