Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #481
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Someone asked me for a link describing the passing of androgens to a developing baby can be the cause for PCOS. This is the first one I have re-found (my research was 4 years ago).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16390494

Advertisement

I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Old 02-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #482
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More
Someone asked me for a link describing the passing of androgens to a developing baby can be the cause for PCOS. This is the first one I have re-found (my research was 4 years ago).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16390494
This doesn't have anything to go with bfing right? Just gestation.
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
Old 02-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #483
xtin
Registered Users
seller

Re: Deciding not to breast feed in advancei

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear1208 View Post
Donor milk isn't as easy to acquire as you make it sound. One look at the eats on feets boards and it becomes very clear that there are FAR more women looking than providing. I know this because I have an 11 month old, and I was only able to acquire 2 donors for her, one of whom was a friend. I even posted an ad when I was still pregnant explaining my situation, and I had zero response. So again, it's not as easy as you make it sound. I would be ecstatic if I could find a long term donor, especially since i am pregnant again. But I'm also realistic and know that's not likely to happen
My first daughter had 10 donors, 2nd daughter had 10 donors and my 3rd daughter (due next month) has an ENTIRE deep freezer full of breastmilk waiting for her. I had to turn down a donor because I simply have no more space:

I posted wayyyyyyy back on page 24-28ish but don't give up hope on donors. Check HM4HB (human milk for human babies) on Facebook.

Where there's a will, there's a way.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #484
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtin View Post
My first daughter had 10 donors, 2nd daughter had 10 donors and my 3rd daughter (due next month) has an ENTIRE deep freezer full of breastmilk waiting for her. I had to turn down a donor because I simply have no more space:

I posted wayyyyyyy back on page 24-28ish but don't give up hope on donors. Check HM4HB (human milk for human babies) on Facebook.

you must live in an area with a decent BF rate. I'm in South Florida and could NEVER find that much milk!
Old 02-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #485
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtin View Post

Wow, thats a ton of milk! I just checked my local page and the people looking out number the offers greatly.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #486
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It really depends on where you live. In some parts donor milk, mother to mother, is not common and you can only get it from a milk bank if you have a preemie or sick baby that relies on BM. Other parts you can get a ton easy. When I used donor milk I got 3,000 ounces from one woman (she had a massive over supply and it was only 6 months worth of pumping). Other times I had several donors at once and had to use my mom's freezer because of the over stock.

There are several places you can look for donors. Milkshare, Human Milk 4 Human Babies and Eats on Feets are the most common. Some states have a different local one, and there is an online milk bank, I forget the name, that ships milk to you from California. Their milk is screened and everything.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #487
xtin
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy View Post
Wow, thats a ton of milk! I just checked my local page and the people looking out number the offers greatly.
Here too. i found that sending a "I would love your milk but even if you dont pick us, I really love that you are offering to help complete strangers because you want the best for all babies" message. Trust me, the "want" posts are far greater than the "have" posts. The tip is to seek out donors who have already donated but who might still have more milk or who have pumped more but never got around to posting it. 90% of that milk came from ONE donor who lives 30 miles from me and has a 4 month old daughter she is EPing for.

i also found that having a legitimate need for donor milk makes people want to help more and the fact that i gave donor milk to my first 2 and i am passionate about breastmilk for babies, helps too. I had a traumatic breast reduction, gastric bypass, suffer with hypothyroid and have IGT (insufficient glandular tissue) but that doesn't stop me from breastfeeding. My left breast has a quarter of its ducts and my right breast has no ducts, but still, with all the medical issues, I made the choice to breastfeed and provide my children with breastmilk, even if it came from another mother. I feel my need is greater than someone who posts "milk wanted. tried for a few days but couldn't make enough milk so I need donor milk" kinda thing.

I share my story with them http://worldmilksharing.net/stories/...ira-and-piper/), am happy to pay for storage bags and love to keep them involved with my pregnancy and birth when it happens. my donors become a part of my family. I feel like most donors are sacrificing a LOT to provide milk to us and they really just want to be appreciated. I bring them diapers, wipes, homemade cards, crafts that we make etc and all of them are still active in our life, 5+ years later. I have entire scrapbooks devoted to their milk donors and my girls love to hear me talk about their "milk mamas" I never judge someone in public with a bottle because (unless I see them mixing it with water), I have no way of knowing if its donor milk, their own pumped milk, or formula. My girls (5 and 3) are VERY comfortable with nursing but also understand that sometimes, no matter what, some mamas can't make enough and milk from another mama is just as yummy and nutritious.

Again, i know its not for everyone and there IS a level of effort involved but I feel deeply that until hospital stop sabotaging breastfeeding by sending new mothers home with bags of formula AND women make a real effort to educate themselves on lactation, the rates of "failed breastfeeders" will continue to rise.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #488
xtin
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeChickVee View Post
you must live in an area with a decent BF rate. I'm in South Florida and could NEVER find that much milk!
No, not really. In fact, I only know a few people who breastfeed and many more who go straight to formula. Most of South Florida is WAY more BF friendly than central florida and I see a TON of posts on HM4HM in the Miami/Tampa corridor.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #489
xtin
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
It really depends on where you live. In some parts donor milk, mother to mother, is not common and you can only get it from a milk bank if you have a preemie or sick baby that relies on BM. Other parts you can get a ton easy. When I used donor milk I got 3,000 ounces from one woman (she had a massive over supply and it was only 6 months worth of pumping). Other times I had several donors at once and had to use my mom's freezer because of the over stock.

There are several places you can look for donors. Milkshare, Human Milk 4 Human Babies and Eats on Feets are the most common. Some states have a different local one, and there is an online milk bank, I forget the name, that ships milk to you from California. Their milk is screened and everything.
I think it depends on how much effort you want to put into it. I had plenty of donors in Maryland (20 donors total) and I have had far less offers after moving to the South (Florida) but even if I had to pay to have it shipped from another state (which we did when living in MD and found a donor that pumped an astonishing 160oz extra PER DAY), I would do it in a heartbeat over giving my girls formula. it is more difficult that driving to the grocery store or Target and buying a can of dehydrated cows milk for sure, but for some of us, it's worth it.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #490
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'll make sure to let everyone know who couldn't make milk or find donor milk that they simply didn't want it enough.