Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #521
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtin

Exactly my point. It's nothing to do with LUCK, its never settling for inferior nutrition for my children due to MY medical issues. It's hours of driving, calling, coordinating, finding ways to thank them for their work, organizing the milk by date, defrosting it, keeping it sterile, rationing it to make sure we don't run out early, washing bottles, transporting frozen milk anywhere we go, making sure we never have a power outage and lose electricity to the deep freezer with the donor milk. Compared to going to Target, buying a can of powder and shaking it into some filtered water? Really, my luck is amazing.

I have "some nerve" to point out that when a mom says "I used formula because I had no other choice" that they DID have another choice, its just a shame they didnt know about it, or that they felt formula was just as good.
..or they didnt want to spend the first year with their child "driving, calling, coordinating, finding ways to thank others, organizing, defrosting, sterilizing, rastioning or transporting frozen milk"

Just saying, there are plenty of reasons why others would choose "inferior nutrition".

Advertisement

Last edited by sandhillcranes; 02-11-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #522
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Re: Deciding not to breast feed in advancei

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
Hepatitis C and B are not transmitted through breastmilk. http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/c/cfaq.htm http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/b/bfaq.htm

Hepatitis A is by coming in contact with an infected persons fecal matter. http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/A/
There are many other things that do...
human T cell lymphotropic virus type 1 (HTLV-1)
human T cell lymphotropic virus type 2 (HLTV-2)
syphilis
Old 02-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #523
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
Many donors provide blood tests and screenings regularly to their recipients. If I ever had to use donor milk from someone I didn't know, I'd insist on it.

Not to mention, do you know how much melamine is in each ounce of formula? No. Or which batch of formula was contaminated at the factory with some food bourne pathogen? It's not as simple as just trading risks for some people.
The idea of fomula to me is scary - wasnt there aarsenic in some not to long ago?! Goats milk is an option too... people think it is black and white (bf or ff) but it is not.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #524
xtin
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
But I think it also comes down to having the connections to even know where to look--some of the responses you got upthread are pretty good examples. Likewise, one has to have the time...or the money to have the time...or the flexible time, to a certain extent. Unless one already has the connections, it's not as though donors fall into one's lap. You have to have the time to find, connect with, and correspond with the donor, or even multiple donors. Get to the PO while it's open. Potentially take it to get it screened.

Yes, with enough resources + enough sacrifices, it's possible. But I'll be honest...as much as I think that bf is the ideal, I don't think it's reasonable to expect women to (or judge them if they don't) prioritize bfing above all else. You're homeless b/c you're a single mom of three who lost her job? Geez, I feel for you, but take solace in the fact that, if there's a will, there's a way, and you gave your baby the very best you could; nevermind that it cost you your job and your home, that baby got bm...that makes you the best mom evah THAT's why your comment sounded so condescending & you got the backlash. Good grief! Even if it isn't so desolate as all that, there are [perfectly legitimate] reasons why women won't/don't/can't sacrifice the time, energy, money, and resources to go to the ends of the earth to secure bm.
Your very first sentence sums it up - "having the connections to even know where to look" EDUCATION IS KEY

I learned about milksharing on a forum quite like this, with nothing to do with nursing or breastmilk just happened onto it when my daughter was a month old and failing to thrive on formula. I latched on (no pun intended), researched for hours and within a week, met a local donor who I am very close friends with to this day, more than 5 years later. Ironically, I turned her onto cloth diapers in our first meeting so let's just say it was a great match
Old 02-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #525
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm floored you can't see how intolerant and narcissistic that attitude is. Elitist breastfeeders, no wonder formula feeding moms are always on the defense.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #526
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryMama View Post
There are many other things that do...
human T cell lymphotropic virus type 1 (HTLV-1)
human T cell lymphotropic virus type 2 (HLTV-2)
syphilis
Which is why the milk is normally screened by the donor or recipient. Most donors, in my experience, are very upfront about things like if they may have gotten hurt etc and are unsure if milk from this date to this date is safe, or if they drank alcohol, or were sick, or took medications, etc. Of course not all donors do that, but I would assume most donors are not out to get babies sick, so they are upfront with what is going on.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #527
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ok, I just have to chime in about donor milk (shoot me...I know it's pointless but like to hope). Some people have babies with multiple food allergies that react even through the mothers milk, I have one of those. In the end, the hardest to avoid and the one that took the longest to figure out was corn. It's in EVERYTHING. By the time we figured it out she had already stopped breastfeeding full on after many strikes that never ended, she just did it out of intense hunger and not for long. She'd only breast feed if she was half asleep and that was then followed by coughing and choking severe acid reflux flares.

To find someone with corn and milk protein free milk, along with nuts, all types of squash, and everything else we've had issues with (she has FPIES), is next to impossible. Top that off with the fact that reacts with severe acid reflux flares to corn and lots of stomach issues or/and mucousy poop, etc to all the other foods.

If someone can find a person to eat that type of a diet and watch for any type of corn source, because she reacts even to the citric acid preserves used in food, the vitamin E in others, and the wax in fruits, all of which are derived from corn, then good for them. If that is all possible then I'd like to meet that rare dedicated mom who must have an FPIES baby herself and managed to succeed in breastfeeding them.

As for me, I'm just glad we found one formula she actually tolerates after my surprising discovery that she could tolerate soy. I love Baby's Only soy and am daily thankful for such products that allow my daughter to thrive and grow. For the record, she couldn't even tolerate the amino acid based formulas because of the corn in them.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #528
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

And yet words like sub par and if you are committed enough get thrown around. Yes you are awesome that you sent to so much more effort to fed your child than those of us who chose sub standard and inferior options. You go ahead and live in your world where you think you aren't being judgemental or offensive to mothers who didn't make the same choice as you.

And I stand by my comment that if you actually wanted to be helpful you could have said it way better than everyone can do it if they rally want to and if theres a will theres a way. And yes my child gets bm every day because I pumped and froze it so this is also coming from someone who worked very he hard to give her baby, bm even after I stored bming. She just also gets formula. Best both worlds.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #529
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueone View Post
Ok, I just have to chime in about donor milk (shoot me...I know it's pointless but like to hope). Some people have babies with multiple food allergies that react even through the mothers milk, I have one of those. In the end, the hardest to avoid and the one that took the longest to figure out was corn. It's in EVERYTHING. By the time we figured it out she had already stopped breastfeeding full on after many strikes that never ended, she just did it out of intense hunger and not for long. She'd only breast feed if she was half asleep and that was then followed by coughing and choking severe acid reflux flares.

To find someone with corn and milk protein free milk, along with nuts, all types of squash, and everything else we've had issues with (she has FPIES), is next to impossible. Top that off with the fact that reacts with severe acid reflux flares to corn and lots of stomach issues or/and mucousy poop, etc to all the other foods.

If someone can find a person to eat that type of a diet and watch for any type of corn source, because she reacts even to the citric acid preserves used in food, the vitamin E in others, and the wax in fruits, all of which are derived from corn, then good for them. If that is all possible then I'd like to meet that rare dedicated mom who must have an FPIES baby herself and managed to succeed in breastfeeding them.

As for me, I'm just glad we found one formula she actually tolerates after my surprising discovery that she could tolerate soy. I love Baby's Only soy and am daily thankful for such products that allow my daughter to thrive and grow. For the record, she couldn't even tolerate the amino acid based formulas because of the corn in them.
Donor milk is certainly not for everyone, there is a reason why different options exist, and I think you're a good example of why formula exists
Old 02-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #530
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
And yet words like sub par and if you are committed enough get thrown around. Yes you are awesome that you sent to so much more effort to fed your child than those of us who chose sub standard and inferior options. You go ahead and live in your world where you think you aren't being judgemental or offensive to mothers who didn't make the same choice as you.

And I stand by my comment that if you actually wanted to be helpful you could have said it way better than everyone can do it if they rally want to and if theres a will theres a way. And yes my child gets bm every day because I pumped and froze it so this is also coming from someone who worked very he hard to give her baby, bm even after I stored bming. She just also gets formula. Best both worlds.
Meh, whatever. I like participating in the discussion primarily for the sake of debate...I figure most of us have those one or two things we feel superior about. I know I do, it just isn't breastfeeding.
Closed Thread