Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
3ZMama
Registered Users

Help for a Newbie? Big boys, heavy wetters...

I'm so new at this it's not even funny, so I'm sorry for not having the lingo down, just yet. But I'm learning! And I'm trying not to be intimidated! My twin boys are 19 months old, and I'm due with #3 in May. The prospect of buying disposables for 3 babies makes me cringe in SO many ways...

A friend suggested FuzziBunz. I bought a small stash - One Size - thinking the elastics would help fit, and we've been experimenting at home over the past few weeknds. Two major problems - leaks (I've used the inserts that came with the diapers, and they'll leak through them, even doubled, at naps) and they leave horrible marks on one boys' legs and hips, even on the largest setting. In all fairness, my boys are big. I mean big. One is 39lbs with super chunky thighs, the other is 36lbs and slim. Both are 34" tall. One is in 4T, the other in 3T.

So, does anyone have suggestions on what would handle big, heavy wetters?? They are at a sitter's all day and I want to make things easier for her, so my thought is that pockets would do it. But it seems that every system I look at says "up to 35 lbs."

And as for inserts: Is hemp the way to go? Bamboo? These guys pee like big kids!

I do NOT want to give up and have to sell them off, but hubby is getting fed up with the constant leaking! HELP! (and THANK YOU!!!)

Advertisement

3ZMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
247mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help for a Newbie? Big boys, heavy wetters...

First off, I would say your LOs are too big for Fuzzibunz OS diapers They stopped fitting my 3 yo who was tall and chunky at about a yr. old. But there are plenty of options for bigger babies. I would suggest starting by looking at green mountain diapers (greenmountaindiapers.com) at their prefolds (brown edge or even toddler size) as well as their GMD workhorse fitteds. These can really hold a ton! They are not too expensive, either. Then you would need covers to go over these. There are some great action shots of covers on the green mountain diaper website. I suggest you start there, the owner gives great info. about each item as well as which body shape they work best for etc. The FB OS may end up working at about 10-12 lbs for your newbie though! And if the inserts aren't absorbent enough, you can stuff them with the smaller prefolds, too. I love the thirsties diaper covers over PFs (prefolds) for newborns, they are easy to use and can contain the runny NB poos even on skinny NB legs. I have heard great things about bumgenius OS (either the 3.0, 4.0 or elementals) working on even small newborns, if you want something that will fit a long time I suggest getting snaps instead of velcro because they tend to hold up better. No matter what you decide to go with, I suggest trying just a couple of each to see what you like the best, that way you don't waste your money on things that don't work for you. HTH! Congrats!!
247mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
fii
Registered Users
seller

I'm subscribing because I need info on larger sized pocket diapers too.

But as far as naps go, my very favorite are kissaluvs hemp fitters with a wool cover.
Fitteds and wool were super intimidating to me at first because I wondered how that could possibly be waterproof, but I'm so in love-nothing else keeps my little guys bed sheets dry.

And yes, Hemp is a lot trimmer than the microfiber inserts, so you get more absorbency with less bulk.
Good luck!
fii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
HappiMom
Registered Users
seller

We have Imagine pocket diapers and they fit a larger child. You'd definitely need to stuff them with something better than the microfiber insert. Maybe a pad folded flat - maybe bamboo. I did have issues with leaking at the legs with these, but I think it was because my daughter was peeing out the microfiber inserts.

I'd recommend Mothersease Sandys XL fitted with a doubler. I also LOVE GMD workhorse fitted. These will probably be your best bet under a large cover. I'm not sure which covers run large off the top of my head.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
revolekim
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a big two-year-old (38 lbs and 38"), and he wears Bumgenius Elementals most of the time. He does pee through them occasionally though, and he's on the verge of outgrowing them. I got some toddler tinkle traps (prefolds turned into fitteds) and they fit great. A good OS cover that's large is Blueberry Coverall.

Liz , wife to Mike and semi-crunchy mama to 4 little ones: Gehrig the Jedi Knight (04/08), Logan a.k.a. "Pigpen" (06/10), princess pumpkin Katie Rose (10/12), and chipmunk Lexi (06/14)
::::::
revolekim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Help for a Newbie? Big boys, heavy wetters...

Our Swaddlebees Simplex 2.0 in size large fit my big 2yo with lots of room to grow. That might be a good one to try. I think they are very absorbent.

If you are thinking about doing prefolds or fitteds and needing a cover, the Swaddlebees Capri size 2 cover seems to be nice and large.