Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Bathroom proofing furniture

I want to salvage an old dresser and turn it into linen storage, like this: http://camerasandchaos.blogspot.com/...thing.html?m=1

I want it to go right in my bathroom though. We just moved into this house and the upstairs bathroom has a super weird, very awkward empty space between the vanity and the toilet. And no linen closet. Attaching a picture.

Dh says if I put it in the bathroom the wood will mildew and stuff. I plan to sand and paint the dresser anyway, is there a special paint I can use to protect it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20130131_131051.jpg (8.5 KB, 79 views)

Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Re: Bathroom proofing furniture

I'd use kitchen and bathroom paint which is supposed to be mildew resistant. Lots of vanities in bathrooms are made of wood and don't rot. We have a built in wood cupboard in our bathroom which is really old and doesn't have any mold or mildew. As long as you use the bathroom fan when you have a shower I wouldn't worry. And if you use kitchen and bathroom paint you can wipe it right off.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandni3 View Post
I'd use kitchen and bathroom paint which is supposed to be mildew resistant. Lots of vanities in bathrooms are made of wood and don't rot. We have a built in wood cupboard in our bathroom which is really old and doesn't have any mold or mildew. As long as you use the bathroom fan when you have a shower I wouldn't worry. And if you use kitchen and bathroom paint you can wipe it right off.
I am.. ridiculously dumb. The wooden vanity cabinet is IN the picture. I should never, ever listen to dh. Ever.

Thank you for shedding light.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

It's not really a stupid question because a lot of wood is treated to be mold and mildew resistent. If you don't know whether or not the dresser was made with that type of wood (I'm assuming here that vanities are treated), then it would make sense to use a paint, or at least a base coat, of something that would protect it. If you can't find a tinted/colored paint that helps protect against it, you could do a base coat of Kilz, which would protect the wood.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

It's not really a stupid question because a lot of wood is treated to be mold and mildew resistent. If you don't know whether or not the dresser was made with that type of wood (I'm assuming here that vanities are treated), then it would make sense to use a paint, or at least a base coat, of something that would protect it. If you can't find a tinted/colored paint that helps protect against it, you could do a base coat of Kilz, which would protect the wood.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Kilz is primer right? Or do they make more than just that?
Old 01-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I know they make primer, but I'm not sure about actual paint. It is possible the paint people could mix the color into the Kilz. Hit the hardware store and ask.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #8
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

my mom just turns old dressers, etc into sinks....she doesn't do anything aside from her normal refinishing of wood. stripping off paint and the maybe polyeurothane? <---I do not know how to spell it and neither does my spell check
Old 01-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post
my mom just turns old dressers, etc into sinks....she doesn't do anything aside from her normal refinishing of wood. stripping off paint and the maybe polyeurothane? <---I do not know how to spell it and neither does my spell check
Polyurethane is fine if you're not painting. That's good for naked or stained wood, but you don't use it with paint, so she'd need something else.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry unless you're talking a very humid environment 24/7. Our basement is that way and bare wood and things we leave there hasn't had any problems. As long as it can breathe and use the fan every time you shower it'll be fine.

And whatever you do, don't get these 'odorless' primer like the ones made by Kilz. My eyes were getting watery even with the fan on full blast painting one of the bedroom not long ago.
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote