Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I think it was here that I read about this.

Can someone explajn how it works and why they give you a free pump? Do I just call our insurance company and ask, or will they have no idea what I'm talking about if I don't have more info? Or is this just a medicaid type thing to reduce cost of formula?? We don't have medicaid and it's a huge insurance company that DHs work uses. I have been on the insurance since April of 2012.

Do you get the pump before baby or after? Does a doc prescribe one (OB or ped??) or can you just call and request one?

Thanks for any info!

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Free pump through insurance?

I just called my insurance company, I have Harvard Pilgrim. Its under the ObamaCare thing. If your plan is one that offers it, you have to get a prescription for your pump your Doctor and fill it at a participating medical equipment/supply store who participates with that insurance.

With my plan they said if i got the Hospital one that you use while there and have the option of renting.. they cover it for 3 months.

For a regular electric pump, it is Rent to own from the Supply Store.. so im guessing they cover the rental cost

and a manual they pay for outright.

They said it has to be filled after you have the baby.. so your OB could send you home from the hospital with the Rx if you wanted.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I got my pump from my dr office after I had my baby, she billed it to my insurance. It was easy, so talk to your dr.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I called insurance and unfortunately it's not covered under our plan, so time to research the best one.

Had major latch issues with DS1 and even with lactation consultants we couldn't establish BFing. He would just cry and cry because he was so frustrated.

I want to be prepared this time with a pump.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

If you don't have a price range the medela PISA is awesome, but fi you do have a limit, the evenflo simply go is really nice and about $40.
I got the simply go from my dr office and it works really well, runs off the wall charger or batteries, whichever you choose and has a soft cover that goes over the horn for comfort pumping.
I bought my medela pisa from my friend because i had over supply and needed to empty my boobs faster so the double pump worked better for what I needed.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

It depends on how your insurance works. When my twins were in the NICU, Tricare would cover the cost of breast pump rental, but only from a durable medical equipment provider. There were no durable medical equipment providers that rented breast pumps in my state, so I was out of luck.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
You Tell 'Em
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
I got my pump from my dr office after I had my baby, she billed it to my insurance. It was easy, so talk to your dr.
This is what my insurance has down. I can get it after baby from the OB office, medical supply store (with prescription from Ob), or hospital. Even though I plan to EBF I'm gonna get one just in case DD#2 doesn't want to tandem and I have oversupply. I'd love to build up a nice freezer stash.

Are you a WAHM crafter looking for an easy way to track inventory and pricing? I <3 using Craftybase!
Looking to add an advocacy design to your own shirt? All screen printed transfers are for sale on my Etsy store!
You Tell 'Em is offline   Reply With Quote