Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
supermomof2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Should I get rid of our prefolds?

Need your advice, minimalist mamas...

I'm actively trying to cut down on the size of my CD stash. I want it to be streamlined and simple. I've been going through them and today I came to my stash of prefolds in the bottom of the plastic tub...two dozen little lion capri prefolds (sizewise, they're between GMD's yellow-edge and red-edge, they measure about 13x14) that I used for diapering my third and fourth kiddos.

With our fifth LO, I fell completely head over heels in love with flats and that's what we use. As of right now, we have a complete stash of flats/covers and a complete stash of pockets (which I stuff with the flats), both of which I prefer over the prefolds. In fact, the prefolds haven't been used a single time with this LO, who is now a year old.

Do you think it's time for me to part with them or should I keep them as a back-up stash? I know a lot of mamas say you should never be without a stash of prefolds but I find it really hard to believe that we'll use them again after not using them at all for this LO for an entire year, KWIM?

Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
mamaNMH
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Should I get rid of our prefolds?

I could have written your post! Except I only have one child and one on the way . We too have a huge stash of prefolds, but I liked and used flats. Prefolds just didn't fit as nicely as flats. Plus, flats can be used in so many ways! I'm looking forward to what others have to say about this!
Old 01-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Move them into your garage. They make for great shop rags.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Sell them. Little Lions are not made anymore, so I bet they would go fast and for a good price.

I do not have a single prefold anymore. I, too, streamlined my stash and see no point in keeping "just in case". One thing that helped was to tell myself, maybe there is a family who can't afford new CDs, but they could afford mine. My CDs could be on a baby's bum instead of sitting here in my house, if I would just let them go.

Last edited by Melinda29; 01-31-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
Sell them. Little Lions are not made anymore, so I bet they would go fast and for a good price.

I do not have a single prefold anymore. I, too, streamlined my stash and see no point in keeping "just in case". One thing that helped was to tell myself, maybe there is a family who can't afford new CDs, but they could afford mine. My CDs could be on a baby's bum instead of sitting here in my house, if I would just let them go.
That's a great way to look at it!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
supermomof2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark View Post
Move them into your garage. They make for great shop rags.
Yeah, I thought about doing something like this, but I just can't bring myself to do it....they're still very serviceable as diapers. I've been wondering about maybe just donating them to a local CD charity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post

Great way to look at it! That's part of what makes me want to possibly donate them. What about a place like Giving Diapers, Giving Hope? I thought about possibly selling them, but some are stained, so I figured that would probably bring the price down a good bit.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd sell or give them to someone. I got rid of all mine in place of flats too. We have a full stash of flats and fitteds and no prefolds anymore. Flats are so much nicer imo, they wash easier, dry faster and go on the same way a prefold does
Old 02-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #8
nickelmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use all my old prefolds for dish towel and rags. They clean so much better than towels. I have some that are finally falling apart. Love the durability of prefolds.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think because you have two full stashes of servicable diapers that having a third (prefolds) is probably excessive. If you got tired of pockets, you could do flats. If you got tired of flats, you could do pockets.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
supermomof2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you, ladies! You're all saying what I've been thinking, so I've made the decision to part with them and I'm totally at peace with that decision. Thank you SO much! I'm looking forward to passing these on to a mama who will actually USE them.