Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Measuring/tracking formula volume for med reasons

If you have caught any of my threads since February, then you know that baby boy, now six months was hospitalized for FTT/ malnutrition. He lost three lbs in two months but has since gained all that back and then some. Still, doc is real nervous because he has still not come back up on his curve. Personally at this point I think she is being overly cautious.

Anyway, because she is nervous that he's not up on his curve yet, she wants us mixing his formula at 24 cal per ounce. She gave us several papers with ratios like 5 scoops to 8 oz water. She also wants us to continue to track what he takes I each day. And this is where the confusion comes in. She has told me different things regarding measuring the actual consumption.

When mixing formula with 8 oz of water and 5 scoops of powder the final volume in the bottle is then almost 9 oz. So, if he takes the whole bottle is that an 8oz bottle or a 9oz bottle? I have asked for clarification but have gotten different answers from the doc and the office. The doc herself has even said two different things. And if he doesn't take that whole bottle, how do I calculate how much he drank? Do I subtract what is left from the original 8oz of water or from the 9 oz final volume?

Honestly, when tracking it I have been using the final volume because I feel that he is just fine, despite not being back up at his curve. He's he happier baby ever, he was evaluated by EI after his hospitalization and they determined he was either at or above all his developmental milestones and he IS growing, even if it is slowly.

How do you measure it?

Advertisement

happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

My 5 month old was a 30 week preemie. He drinks Alimentum mixed to 24 calories/ounce and sees a GI doc every month.

I use iBabylog on my iPhone to track his intake. We still have to track his because he has oral aversion and is just now taking almost 20 oz/day.

We were told to track whatever the final volume is after mixing the formula. I put in 125mls water and 2.5 scoops formula and that comes out to 150mls of formula. We use the 150 as our starting point in tracking.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote