Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #1
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm having trouble with this! My goal for next yr is $100 a WEEK for 4 of us. I try to buy grass fed meats because ds2 is allergic to soy; & you never know what meat has eaten soy! :/
He's also allergic to: eggs, dairy, peanuts/treenuts & most shellfish.
I also feel the need to cut out wheat; which means no more muffins/pancakes for breakfast. They really won't eat quinoa/oatmeal... They don't have a huge problem eating leftovers.
I can't make "cheap" spaghetti/chili. The tomatoes bother ds2 reflux (so I'm not quite sure if that's a minor allergy for him) & DH & ds1 don't like tomatoes. DH is Korean. I LOVE korean food too but ds2 is nursing & every single dish has soy sauce...sometimes I cook 2 meals a day so that DH/ds1 can still have Korean food. That's not good for the budget either, unless I make a chicken in the crock for Ds1 & I to eat all week & whatever meal for Dh/ds1.
I still (after 8 months) do not know what to cook! A lot of times it's flavorless fried rice because its easy & everyone can eat it but its not doing any favors if it doesn't even taste decent!! :/

Advertisement

E-2.1.14

Last edited by mrseum; 12-19-2012 at 10:45 AM.
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
$100 a month or $100 a week? A month seems pretty impossible to me.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Cutting food budget with allergies?

Short of eating only beans and rice for every meal I don't see how it can be done. With those allergies couponing will be difficult if not impossible. My husband has allergies and ds2 has trouble digesting milk so everything is from scratch in my home. I have trouble squeezing our budget into $400 a month. I do it but that is with LOTS of beans and rice. Little to no beef and no premade convenience meals. I do use a lot of tomatoes to stretch things, add flavoring and add veggies to a meal cheaply but that isn't an option for you.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
Short of eating only beans and rice for every meal I don't see how it can be done. With those allergies couponing will be difficult if not impossible. My husband has allergies and ds2 has trouble digesting milk so everything is from scratch in my home. I have trouble squeezing our budget into $400 a month. I do it but that is with LOTS of beans and rice. Little to no beef and no premade convenience meals. I do use a lot of tomatoes to stretch things, add flavoring and add veggies to a meal cheaply but that isn't an option for you.
Yep. we had to go back up to $520 a month when we started cutting carbs (this dies include dog food, tp, foil type stuff and $20 in milk for ds, $10 for soy milk for dd). We do a lot of smoothies (frozen strawberries with banana, a handful of spinach and milk/water for thinning) for breakfast which can be cheaper then other non egg, non wheat breakfasts. Usually the kids gets get toast with it or sometimes eggs. DD likes wow butter (fake peanut butter) on apples a lot for breakfast too. Fruit with homemade granola. If your good with sunbutter you can throw some of that in a smoothie and it will be more complete. Our fresh fruit breakfasts are insanely expensive, but with out wheat and animal protein you need a lot of fruit to keep you satisfied. We like oatbran hot cereal a lot with strawberries (thawed prev frozen work to make it a little cheaper. The rest of the meals aren't that bad- meat (maybe- we only eat meat 2 days a week), 1 or 2 veggies and a starch (corn, potato, sweet potato, rice). Typical meat day- roast (or left over roast), roasted potatoes and roasted green beans (frozen- cheapest way to get them) and carrots (fresh and whole regular carrots that I chop- much cheaper). We don't mess around with milk subs except for dd's drinking milk. We just skip creamy sauces and use olive oil in place of butter.

When we were at $400 a month we ate a lot of pancakes, muffins and sweet breads for breakfast. Ate a lot of rice (my family won't eat beans), spaghetti and had a lot of repetition. I have always used a lot of frozen veggie just so we don't waste from spoiling. But we had to cut our fruit to just apples, grapes and bananas. That doesn't work for us. During the summer we have our own blackberries and blueberries in abundance. We are use to eating a lot of fruit. Dh and I drink water and tea. kids drink their milk and water (in that order-ds drinks a LOT of milk, we're trying to cut it back now). The added money let us get more fruit, have more variety and some nice extras (enjoy life choc chips for granola bars, steak for dh twice a month, etc)

BTW we are peanut (avoid all treenuts), coconut, cantaloupe and dairy.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
briggsy13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

$100 a month here would be impossible, unless like the others said, beans and rice and water. Which while its cheap, isn't the healthiest.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oops!! $100 a week of course!!
E-2.1.14
Old 12-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
briggsy13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrseum View Post
Oops!! $100 a week of course!!
That makes more sense

I was trying to stick to that, but have bumped it up to $500 because I am trying to eat whole foods vs processed, packaged. Which you would think it would be cheaper but sadly its not. My kids and I eat a lot of fresh fruit and veggies and its a shame but its more expensive.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We buy rice in bulk from the korean store; so we always have rice on hand. I'm planning to buy some brown rice to add for a little more nutrition/protien.
We do fruit/green smoothies-&!i try to add some chia/flax meal to up the protien but hey aren't satisfying enough. We are renewing our Costco membership today so I get the giant bag of mixed fruit for $10 an it lasts for awhile. Snacks are my "issue" the boys need a bit more protein- but idk what to feed them. They eat freeze dried/fresh fruit/applesauce pouches, or a baked good or enjoy life bar- but the baked goods wil be fewer & farmer between, & I've cut back on the applesauce pouches & bars. They don't eat veggies- so I vary our fruit a bit. I'm working on the veggie thing- but we're limited to hummus as a dip (unless I'm missing some allergen safe alternative) & they're not big on that either! Sheesh. :/ we are a very big "processed food" family- & that's going to be a major change coming for us in the new year.i want to do paleo, of course our exception is all the nuts for quick protien & we cannot use almond flour.
E-2.1.14
Old 12-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

We also deal with a lot of allergies and our food budget is ridiculous.

Dd is allergic to: wheat/gluten (anaphylactic), tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, coconut, and a few legumes. She HATES tomatoes, so we're in pretty much the same boat there.

Honestly, it is really, really difficult. Homemade bread is impossible, because there are really no gluten-free recipes that work without eggs and the gluten-free flour we can use is extremely expensive (many brands, like Bob's Red Mill, have tree nut contamination). Some things we do:

1) Buy specialty products in bulk from places like Amazon, where we have a prime account. This includes things like rice and corn crackers, rice cakes, and pancake mix.

2) Try to eat vegetarian meals several times a week, even though it's a bit difficult with dd's allergy set. We might make a big pot of a bean and veggie soup and then we'll use the leftovers for lunches or freeze them. We also do Mexican food once a week--corn tortillas, refried beans, and veggies; we throw in a little cheese, too, which doesn't work with your allergy set. A cheap meal, though. We also might do rice and beans with a side salad or stir-fry or something like that. Another favorite is Aloo Gobi, which is basically just potatoes and cauliflower tossed with some Indian spices and roasted in the oven. It's pretty hearty, so we can just pair it with a salad or a green veg, and maybe some leftover meat or rice if we have something around.

3) Roast chicken is your best friend. We make a roast chicken probably every 10 ten days or so. The first day we eat plain chicken, usually with roasted vegetables (potatoes, carrots, parsnips, brussels sprouts, etc.). Then we save the leftovers to bulk out a cheaper meal for the next night or two. We'll toss a little chicken into a stir fry, or toss it with some pasta and steamed broccoli, or chop it up, toss with some Mexican spices, add some veggies, and roll it in corn tortillas.

4) Although it isn't cheap, the pasta we use is Tinkyada brown rice pasta. It's whole grain, it's the only gluten-free pasta we've found that isn't mushy, dd loves it, and we find it edible. She won't touch a tomato with a ten-foot pole, so we just toss hers with a little olive oil and salt.

For breakfast dd usually eats toast with fruit or gluten-free cold cereal, like corn chex, which we buy on sale or in bulk (but we can do regular milk). Sometimes I make pumpkin or banana muffins and then freeze most of them so they're ready for quick breakfasts.
NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg
We also deal with a lot of allergies and our food budget is ridiculous.

Dd is allergic to: wheat/gluten (anaphylactic), tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, coconut, and a few legumes. She HATES tomatoes, so we're in pretty much the same boat there.

Honestly, it is really, really difficult. Homemade bread is impossible, because there are really no gluten-free recipes that work without eggs and the gluten-free flour we can use is extremely expensive (many brands, like Bob's Red Mill, have tree nut contamination). Some things we do:

1) Buy specialty products in bulk from places like Amazon, where we have a prime account. This includes things like rice and corn crackers, rice cakes, and pancake mix.

2) Try to eat vegetarian meals several times a week, even though it's a bit difficult with dd's allergy set. We might make a big pot of a bean and veggie soup and then we'll use the leftovers for lunches or freeze them. We also do Mexican food once a week--corn tortillas, refried beans, and veggies; we throw in a little cheese, too, which doesn't work with your allergy set. A cheap meal, though. We also might do rice and beans with a side salad or stir-fry or something like that. Another favorite is Aloo Gobi, which is basically just potatoes and cauliflower tossed with some Indian spices and roasted in the oven. It's pretty hearty, so we can just pair it with a salad or a green veg, and maybe some leftover meat or rice if we have something around.

3) Roast chicken is your best friend. We make a roast chicken probably every 10 ten days or so. The first day we eat plain chicken, usually with roasted vegetables (potatoes, carrots, parsnips, brussels sprouts, etc.). Then we save the leftovers to bulk out a cheaper meal for the next night or two. We'll toss a little chicken into a stir fry, or toss it with some pasta and steamed broccoli, or chop it up, toss with some Mexican spices, add some veggies, and roll it in corn tortillas.

4) Although it isn't cheap, the pasta we use is Tinkyada brown rice pasta. It's whole grain, it's the only gluten-free pasta we've found that isn't mushy, dd loves it, and we find it edible. She won't touch a tomato with a ten-foot pole, so we just toss hers with a little olive oil and salt.

For breakfast dd usually eats toast with fruit or gluten-free cold cereal, like corn chex, which we buy on sale or in bulk (but we can do regular milk). Sometimes I make pumpkin or banana muffins and then freeze most of them so they're ready for quick breakfasts.
Thanks! I actually get brown rice/corn pasta from Trader Joes for cheaper. Hubby is sick of Chicken because that's what I usually cook. Beef is too expensive! We do chex too, that is out go to cereal for quick mornings. I need to get newspapers; but I hate stopping after church & taking both kids into the store just for a paper! Our printer is rediculously old & is hit or miss. Maybe I'll get the Sunday paper mailed.. I just haven't since we can't use most coupons. Even HBA is hit or miss with what contains soy/but oils.
E-2.1.14