Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
MegERjd
Registered Users
seller

Re: Favorite low cost, 5 ingredient (or less!) meals?

Great ideas!

Advertisement

MegERjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
briggsy13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't tried this yet, but think we are having it tomorrow night. I like that its stuff I already have on hand, no special ingredients.
honey garlic chicken
Old 02-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #13
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Old 02-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #14
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Polish Sausage cut into coins. Saute in about 1" of water until cooked through. Drain. Add 1lb of frozen broccoli and cook until tender turn off the heat and cover with 1c of shredded cheese...cover pot (heat off) until it melts and serve.

Cheap and easy 1 pot meal!

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #15
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

I like this one.

Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes (with added green chilies if desired), undrained
2 cups (or 1-14.5 oz. can) chicken broth
1 (16 oz.) can refried beans (or 2 cups homemade beans)
1/2 cup corn (optional)
2 cups shredded cooked chicken

Topping suggestions:
Tortilla chips
Sour cream
Grated cheese

1. Combine half of tomatoes, plus broth and beans in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat for a couple minutes. [If you want the soup smoother than it is now- remove from heat and puree with either an immersion blender or a regular blender, remembering to keep the center cap off your blender lid.]

2. Resume heating the soup over medium heat. Add remainder of the tomatoes and the corn; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add chicken; cook a few more minutes to heat through.

3. Taste for seasoning- you can add a pinch of cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, etc. for added flavor. Divide into bowls and top as desired.

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #16
WyattsMommy09
Registered Users
seller

For us, when we're in a bind $$wise, we go to our cajun red beans and rice. Its a little pricy to start (especially in CA!) since last time i made it (fat tuesday) i spent $20 and had the ham hock at home, but we got 4 meals out of it (plus there's still at least another meal in the fridge) for 4 people. I estimate it being $25 if you buy the ham.

Red kidney beans
rice
andouille sausage
ham hock (smoked)
bay leaf, cajun seasoning (i just throw in cayenne pepper, salt, pepper and my jalapeno seasoning)
onions, carrots, celery (holy trinity)

I guess its technically 7 ingredients, but back home the trinity hardly counts as 3 ingredients, LOL
WyattsMommy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #17
briggsy13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggsy13 View Post
I haven't tried this yet, but think we are having it tomorrow night. I like that its stuff I already have on hand, no special ingredients.
honey garlic chicken
Well we did have this for dinner tonight (we eat early cause the kids and I are always starving by 430). I enjoyed it over rice. The kids were not fans. I think my dh will like it though. Not sure if I will make it again or not. We have plenty of other recipes that everyone likes so the ones the kids don't like I don't usually make again.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #18
ctj101502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We just had turkey rice soup tonight......I thought it was 5 or less but realized that was the cost not ing amount. It has Brussels sprouts, bell peppers, carrots, onions, rice, left over turkey from Christmas, creme from raw milk, homemade stock and seasonings coconut oil. But really, they were all bits and pieces odds and ends, that is how most of our meals are. I don't look for last ing amount, I look for least costs yet most wholesome.
A few nights ago it was stuffed bell peppers using rice (which I used the rest in tonight's dinner) and tomato paste that was already open in fridge from another meal along with deer meat. The bell pepper left was in tonight's dinner, half the deer was used in chili for last night's dinner. Tomorrow is baked potato bar using left over chili from last night dinner. The turkey from tonight was from sweet and sour turkey over fried rice (yrs same batch of rice still being used, I make it in large quantities) a couple nights ago. So on and so on.

Rarely do I make a meal that parts of the ingredients aren't used for another meal. This allows more than 5 ing to be used, but they are stretched further for more meals and parts are already cooked to make the next meal that much faster.

Another example, tonight's leftovers (I tend to make lots extra for Hodge podge leftover lunches) will go towards tomorrow breakfast. Bread from soup with be toasted and homemade jam on it along with Hodge podge lunch from the weeks little bits of leftovers. Extra rice will go towards rice and raisin pudding, though normally used for another meal, I am using it for yummies this week and hot cocoa. Nothing like hot pudding and cocoa in a snow storm mmmmmmm.
Can't forget my 6 lil blessings!!!

Last edited by ctj101502; 02-21-2013 at 05:58 PM.
ctj101502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #19
tcat216
Registered Users
seller

Bean Burgers
1 can Kidney beans, drained and rinsed, or 1 2/3 cup cooked dried Kidney beans
3 tablespoons salsa
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 cup quick oats

Preheat oven to 350. Cover cookie sheet with parchment paper or silpat. Pour beans into a mixing bowl and mash with fork (not too much, just until there are no whole beans left). Add salsa, chili powder, and onion powder and mix well. Stir in oats a little at a time until the mixture holds together. Separate into 5 or 6 equal parts (depending on how big you want the burgers). Roll each part into a ball then shape into a burger with palms. Place on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, then flip and bake for 10 more minutes.

Quick, thrifty, and tasty.
tcat216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #20
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Lemon lentil soup, salty and sour (it's all I'm eating now, I've got a cold and it's so soothing)

Ingredients: lentils, onion, garlic, lemon, random frozen green veg.

- Brown chopped onions in large saucepan.
- Add 2-3 cloves minced garlic, 1 bag of lentils (we use brown), and pour over water until it's two inches deep over the lentils
- Bring to a rolling boil and then turn low and simmer until lentils are soft (but still have their shape), about 25 mins. Pour more water in, if you think it looks too thick.
- About 5 mins before the lentils are cooked, throw in frozen or fresh green veg: kale, spinach, chard, broccoli, what have you.
- When lentils are finished, stir in about 3/4 cup lemon juice (about 2 and a half lemons), and the lemon zest if you have it.
- Salt to taste. I like lots.

Serve on its own or with bread.