Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #21
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: ♥♥ February Garden chat ♥♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.e.peltz View Post
Well, I just didn't get much of a crop - I planted right around Mother's Day (too late?) in raised beds with organic soil. I planted spinach, lettuce, several herbs, carrots and beans from seed...and just didn't get much from anything except the beans which later got destroyed by bugs before I could harvest them :-(
I don't think too late, just maybe conditions you can fix next time. Perfect timing for your beans, but next time with the herbs/lettuce/spinach and carrots I would plant a bit earlier (they like cool soil to germinate) and after you sow them, water lightly and then cover with plastic to keep the soil moist while they germinate. That's the low cost method. Me, I like to sprinkle some peat moss over the seeds because it helps keep the moisture in. But it's pricier at about $10 for a 2cu ft bag. The main thing is to mist them lightly daily so that they don't dry out. Carrots and spinach in particular take a long time to germinate and just when you think for sure they're dead they pop up. It's about 2-3 weeks.

Planning to germinate seeds next week, exciting!!!! My indoor tomato plant just gave us the first 2 tomatoes and darn me if I didn't forget to take a pic! They're small plum size, a nice golden color. They remind me a lot of one of my favorites, the german lunch box. I like these clustering plum types, they're small enough to use in salads but still big enough to use for sauce! Only took half the winter, LOL! Next year I'll start one inside sooner.

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #22
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.e.peltz

Well, I just didn't get much of a crop - I planted right around Mother's Day (too late?) in raised beds with organic soil. I planted spinach, lettuce, several herbs, carrots and beans from seed...and just didn't get much from anything except the beans which later got destroyed by bugs before I could harvest them :-(
I'm in MI and typically will plant broccoli and probably some lettuce in April, then early may beans, carrots; the hot weather stuff, like peppers and tomatoes, around Memorial Day. I have more I'm planting, but haven't come up with my calendar yet .

I started some herbs in the house, they started looking spindly so I turned them around (so the sun is coming from the other way). Should I fertilize them or transplant them into a larger container? This is what they look like now...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1694865922.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	134351

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-371945867.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	134352
Old 02-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #23
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

they look good to me, so far. Just a very light amount of fertilizer should do it.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #24
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, I'll get some...
Old 02-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #25
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

SEED MAIL!!! So excited to get things underway for 2013!!! My potatoes were supposed to be in this order, yukon gold's. Hope they arrive soon.

And my indoor tomato plant is ripening fruits. Unfortunately, I think the fungus gnats that got it last month (although dead now) spread disease to it. I can't figure out what's causing the leaves to spot. It doesn't look like a typical disease. Could be root damage.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #26
joyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

not sure if it counts, since i used forced labor, but i had DH add a big pile of oak leaves to my garden site today. i'm doing a lasagna layer to build the soil up...cardboard, clippings, and now oak leaves.

i would've started in the fall here at my new house, but i got pregnant instead. doh. since i have hyperemesis, that meant no garden for me! i'm going to try to start some seedlings inside. definitely tomato. not sure what else yet!

i did have a friend help me make a potato tower. it was looking great until about two weeks ago, when every bit of green wilted and died. there were some signs of pests eating the leaves, but definitely not to the extent to kill all the sprouts. no idea what to do now. just waiting to see what happens next, i guess.
joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #27
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

of course it counts! I take all help that's offered b/c I know late in the season they'll all disappear unless I'm harvesting corn or strawberries. LOL!

Sorry about your potatoes, where did you buy them? I've only grown them once but I have read that they can get diseases and you shouldn't plant the ones from the grocery store because of that.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #28
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
And my indoor tomato plant is ripening fruits...
Okay, total newb here... so here it goes... how did you get fruit on your tomato plant inside?? Did you plant it outside 1st & bring it inside after the flowers were pollinated??
Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #29
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Nope, I grew it inside from seed. It's never been outside! I have read that the smaller fruiting types ripen more easily indoors so I started with that. I just put it in a south facing window where it gets sunlight on it most of the day and make sure I leave the light on in that room for most of the evening to give it extra light hours so that it would bloom. Most tomatoes are self pollinating but I brushed the blooms gently with a kid's paint brush to ensure they'd be pollinated. The plant stand it is sitting on is positioned right above a heat vent. Tomatoes ripen when conditions are warm, so that seemed logical. It worked! It's a "early ssubakus aliana".
Old 02-21-2013, 05:46 AM   #30
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey ladies! I finally sold some longies and was able to place my first order of the year!!!
Jing Orange OkraOK1261$2.50Sugar Snap PeaSN1061$2.25Bowling Red OkraOK1201$2.25Crimson Forest Bunching OnionON1101$2.00Bianca di Maggio OnionON1061$2.50Morris Heading CollardsOG1121$1.50Tarragon, RussianHB1451$2.00ThymeHB1131$2.50Summer SavoryHB1381$1.50Sage - Broad LeafHB1471$2.00Parsley Giant Of ItalyHB1331$1.75Oregano VulgareHB1311$2.00LavenderHB1121$2.25German ChamomileHB1181$1.75Echinacea Paradoxa or Ozark Yellow ConeflowerHB1711$2.00Basil - GenoveseHB1011$2.50Berlicum 2 Carrot - 1/4 ozCR117-A1$4.00Calabrese Green Sprouting Broccoli - 1/4 lbBR101-E1$8.50Tendercrisp Celery
Now I gotta get it together for a second, lol!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote