Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #41
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm baaaaaaaaaack!

last years garden (my first) was kind of a flop. Mostly because I stated too late, but then when things finally started taking off, it rained for 2 weeks straight, then froze. I didn't get to put up anything that i grew, but we enjoyed some yummy lettuce, basil, peas, and tomatoes for a bit. I planted carrots and broccoli for winter (and a whole bunch of other stuff that never grew), thy were just starting to grow a bit before we PCSd

Last year, you guys gave me a couple cool websites about frost dates, what to plan when, etc. but they were for the US. does anyone happen to have one for Europe? We just moved to Italy, its really rainy and cold (just left WA, same weather! Lol), but idk when to plant things. Im not sure when it will warm up here or hat grows well here (does hard water make a difference? its crazy hard). I'm still such a novice. One of my requirement for a house is that I have a garden, so I'm not stuck with only containers like last time, but I'm nt sure when/ what I can pant safely lol.

And where do you girls order heirloom seeds from? I'm not too late, am I?

Advertisement

~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #42
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna1988
I'm baaaaaaaaaack!

last years garden (my first) was kind of a flop. Mostly because I stated too late, but then when things finally started taking off, it rained for 2 weeks straight, then froze. I didn't get to put up anything that i grew, but we enjoyed some yummy lettuce, basil, peas, and tomatoes for a bit. I planted carrots and broccoli for winter (and a whole bunch of other stuff that never grew), thy were just starting to grow a bit before we PCSd

Last year, you guys gave me a couple cool websites about frost dates, what to plan when, etc. but they were for the US. does anyone happen to have one for Europe? We just moved to Italy, its really rainy and cold (just left WA, same weather! Lol), but idk when to plant things. Im not sure when it will warm up here or hat grows well here (does hard water make a difference? its crazy hard). I'm still such a novice. One of my requirement for a house is that I have a garden, so I'm not stuck with only containers like last time, but I'm nt sure when/ what I can pant safely lol.

And where do you girls order heirloom seeds from? I'm not too late, am I?
Also, we're still house hunting, but our current favorite house has two little neighbor bunnies that come and visit but I'm concerned how I would keep them out of a garden if we choose that one. I know some of you have free range animals, what do you do? It will be along the whole back fence and in flower beds, so a fence wouldn't be very logical, I think. Definitely not an inexpensive option either, since it would be so long.
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #43
joyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ♥♥ February Garden chat ♥♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
I snatch up gardening mags out of the recycle bins at the po just to window shop, lol. I prob have 20, with a bunch of chicken one, next to the couch. All big dreams, lol.
oh yes! chicken catalogs are just as bad as gardening ones.

@marianna -- i'd say your best bet is to ask your new neighbors for local seeds and gardening advice. provided you speak italian...
there ought to be some older people who would enjoy passing on some of their knowledge and seeds to you. perhaps you could ask at a local market?
joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #44
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey y'all, Happy Seed Day!!!! My seeds from Baker Creek seeds just came in today. I'm roping hubs into helping me move around the living room furniture tonight so I can put the plants in front of our big south-facing front window (for sun AND to remind me to water them!). And I need to calculate dates so I can see when I need to plant them to have them big enough to put in the ground. I'm so excited!
My sister and I ordered a lot of seeds; Corn (sweet and field), Tomatoes, Lettuce, Carrots, Broccoli, Eggplant, Summer Squash, Pumpkins, Peppers, Melon, Sugar Snap Peas, Daikon Radish (to break up the soil this fall) ... and I'm sure there are some I'm missing.
Does anyone have any ideas for a cheap pot tray? I'm using yogurt cups, baby food cups, and the like for the seeds, but I need to poke holes and put them in a tray of some sort, right?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #45
joyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i always just use whatever i have around, covered in foil. old baking sheets, cardboard box bottoms, etc etc. maybe i'm a little extreme, but i pretty much walk around my house looking for things that are the right shape and then brainstorm how to make them waterproof.

also, i figured out what happened to my lovely potato tower. FIRE ANTS. i hate them. i drowned them all, which gave me minimal satisfaction. better than nothing, though. i had placed the tower inside a plastic baby pool to prevent ant infestation. worked for a couple months, but not long enough. any tips?
joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #46
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Aw man, I'm sorry about the fire ants! Get Terro liquid Ant traps, I put a ton around last summer and they killed all the little demons. Ants are a huge problem, they also "farm" aphids, aphid infestations are hard to stop and aphids also carry and spread all the mildew diseases on squashes and melons.

I wanted to do k-cups for my plants but I didn't get enough of them saved. I'll probably buy the trays with peat plugs again this year. I'm saving yogurt cups to transplant them into.

Marianna I agree with asking the locals. How exciting to get to garden in a whole new climate!

AFM, I got my second seed order in today, from seed savers exchange! I forgot to take a pic, maybe I will tomorrow. Dh thinks I'm nuts when I do those sort of things around him.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #47
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Here's my seed mail from yesterday. <3

Old 02-25-2013, 02:06 AM   #48
Foolalex
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Oh wow, I'm going to definitely do some research tomorrow with this website! Thank you!

I've been lurking on this homesteading forum on and off for months, but had no opportunity to practice any skills because we were in an apartment... Now that we're renting a house with a yard (finally! *squeal*), I can start playing around with urban homesteading and gardening while we keep looking for some land to move onto sometime this year. I hope you ladies don't mind if I join in on the fun!

Any advice for someone in zone 4b here in Alaska?

Edited to add: The landlady mentioned when we were originally looking at the house that there is already a garden area in the corner of the lot with a compost pile about 20 feet away. They're covered in snow and I have no idea where to start. >.< Any and all advice appreciated!

Last edited by Foolalex; 02-25-2013 at 02:11 AM.
Foolalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:04 AM   #49
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

It smelled like Spring here yesterday!!

We're covered in snow, still, and a big ice/snow storm coming tomorrow, but the air smelled like Spring, AND it was light until almost 6:00.

I have to do a big clean out of the greenhouse this week. I want to get some seeds started, but we are likely doing more direct sowing this year. The greenhouse has been horribly neglected over the winter, and I need to get in there with the shop vac, clean it out, deal with some death (poor neglected deck plants....) and move ahead.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #50
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolalex View Post
Oh wow, I'm going to definitely do some research tomorrow with this website! Thank you!

I've been lurking on this homesteading forum on and off for months, but had no opportunity to practice any skills because we were in an apartment... Now that we're renting a house with a yard (finally! *squeal*), I can start playing around with urban homesteading and gardening while we keep looking for some land to move onto sometime this year. I hope you ladies don't mind if I join in on the fun!

Any advice for someone in zone 4b here in Alaska?

Edited to add: The landlady mentioned when we were originally looking at the house that there is already a garden area in the corner of the lot with a compost pile about 20 feet away. They're covered in snow and I have no idea where to start. >.< Any and all advice appreciated!
oh an established garden, how awesome is that!!! I know nothing about northern gardening, I'd see if you can chat up the neighbors to find out when they plant their gardens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post
It smelled like Spring here yesterday!!

We're covered in snow, still, and a big ice/snow storm coming tomorrow, but the air smelled like Spring, AND it was light until almost 6:00.

I have to do a big clean out of the greenhouse this week. I want to get some seeds started, but we are likely doing more direct sowing this year. The greenhouse has been horribly neglected over the winter, and I need to get in there with the shop vac, clean it out, deal with some death (poor neglected deck plants....) and move ahead.
We had some deceptively wonderful warm days last week, it made me LOOONNNGGG for spring! The trees are still tightly budded, so I'm taking that as the sign that it's still a ways off. Grasses aren't growing because it's cold at night too. I'm going to start my early spring stuff indoors like herbs, spincach, broc. All those things that prefer cooler temps but take a while to get started. In a few more weeks I'll have to figure out the warmer crops, I don't want to start them too early this year though. I set them out a couple weeks too early and then had a frost hit. Total bummer!