Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
ashleyg103
Registered Users

Help me replace my microfiber!

I have 36 pockets and im getting so sick of microfiber, it just never seems as clean as everything else and we have been having leaks. I use half pockets and half prefolds either snappi or trifolded. I like doing half and half so I dont want to steal my prefolds for the pockets. What do you stuff your pockets with and since I have a bunch to replace what would be the best cost but not skimp on absorbency? Iv tried my prefolds and they are ok but the charlie banana diapers are a narrow pocket so I dont like the fit. Thanks!!!

Advertisement

ashleyg103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me replace my microfiber!

How about cotton flats? They are cheap and wash up well!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:12 AM   #3
ashleyg103
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki24 View Post
How about cotton flats? They are cheap and wash up well!
Im leaning towards flats. And since Im not stuffing 36 pockets at one time, usually only have maybe 10 to 12 at a time the folding shouldnt be too bad? My boys are still on the smallest rise would you go with small or lg flats im stuck on which size to get they will be 8 months old??
Old 02-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyg103 View Post
Im leaning towards flats. And since Im not stuffing 36 pockets at one time, usually only have maybe 10 to 12 at a time the folding shouldnt be too bad? My boys are still on the smallest rise would you go with small or lg flats im stuck on which size to get they will be 8 months old??
I would just get 27 x 27. Might be a tad bulky at first, but probably not bad. IMO, folding 10-12 flats isnt' a big deal. I much prefer stuffing with flats vs. prefolds just because they lay much better, no lumps.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Do you have any white flour sack towels? Maybe try to stuff with one of those first and see what you think. Regular flats are going to be thicker (at least compared to my white flour sack towels), but it will give you an idea of whether you like stuffing with flats.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

i've been stuffing my pockets with osocozy flats. i think they are 27x27. they were a little bulky on the smallest rise setting but now on the middle rise they are really trim.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
ashleyg103
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki24 View Post
Do you have any white flour sack towels? Maybe try to stuff with one of those first and see what you think. Regular flats are going to be thicker (at least compared to my white flour sack towels), but it will give you an idea of whether you like stuffing with flats.
I dont have any flour sack towels but I have a bunch of receiving blankets, would they be comparable to a flat? I actually think I have about 12 so maybe I could try with thoes before I go all flats.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

Receiving blankets are way more absorbent that flour sack towels in my experience. I think they will work great for you!
PurpleFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
blackberry75
Registered Users

Quote:
I dont have any flour sack towels but I have a bunch of receiving blankets, would they be comparable to a flat? I actually think I have about 12 so maybe I could try with thoes before I go all flats.
Receiving blankets make excellent flats, very absorbant and trim. Def. give it a try, I love mine.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #10
kirst
Registered Users
seller

I am also trying to get rid of all my mf inserts, but I have Kawaii pockets which are wide through the crotch. I usually use 1 mf insert and 4 layers - 6 layers hemp inserts for each diaper as my son is a super soaker. I have not found rblankets or cotton prefolds to be absorbant enough (plus the prefolds are so bulky). I can't use the hemp alone as it doesn't seem to soak up fast enough to strop the stream of pee even though it is awesome for trimness and absorbancy against compression, so I find that I need something else on top of the hemp, and the Kawaii mf inserts hold 8 ounces, so that's what I've been using.

I had a melt down the other night as the mf makes my excema on my hands so bad and my hands were bleeding after stuffing pockets...even getting blood on a few diapers

I know once my mat leave ends and I am back at work full time, I WILL have to stuff 20pockets at once as will be having to leave the stuffing til weekends sometimes. I just can't see folding flats on top of the stuffing, and the laundry itself once I'm working full-time (single parent) so I went online and came up with two options:

1. 20 Kawaii Baby Bamboo inserts for $52 + $12 shipping
2. 20 Motherease cotton terry liners for $2.60 each and free shipping from Well.ca (but this store that has the free shipping doesn't carry the bamboo ME terry liners.

I decided to go with the ME cotton terry liners as they are the exact same size as the Kawaii inserts and they are supposed to hold 7 oz of fluid, plus maybe a bit easier to clean than bamboo.

So we will see when they come. Hopefully they don't leak because I can't handle the mf anymore. I suppose if they don't work, I will use pad folded rblankets and hemp behind that- a bit bulky and time consuming but we will see.

(My doctor looked at my hands today and gave me a whole box of steroid cream samples...freakin' microfiber sucks.)
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote