Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
tbowers8403
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Tax Return - What are you going to do with it?

I'm so excited that my tax return is so big this year! I never in my dreams imagined we would get all this money. But its already gone before it even came! My plan is to set us up financially:

1) The Move: We are moving from PA to FL so that took a chunk of our money otherwise I think we would have a great savings account

2) Pay off the car: Even though I had a little over a year left, I want this payment over with! This will save me $215/month

3) Rent: We are paying 2 months worth of rent because we are still in limbo with getting stable work. This will give us a little cushion

4) Change car stuff to FL: This alone to get new registration, plates and license is about $300!! We have two cars though

5) Car Insurance: Paying maybe two months of that

6) Set up our electric/water/sewage/internet bills. That will give us a month cushion on that

7) Fun stuff: Zoo Year Pass and a year subscription to getting seeds to the garden

8) The money I need to go back to PA for my parents vow renewal

9) Pool egg: This neat thing to put in our pool that will help us use less chemicals and keep the pool from greening.

That's about it. Sadly that uses every cent. I'm pretty good with budgeting and I think I over estimated so I am hoping there is AT LEAST $200-400 left over so I can have somewhat of a savings account.

So what are ya'll doing?

Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tax Return - What are you going to do with it?

We just had a baby in December so I'm hoping we get a bit more than we usually do. We have to save for a new roof and gutters for our house.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are still in discussion about this .... we won't be doing anything "fun" with it, it will pay off SL debt or things like that.... we just have to decide how to best make our money work for us best
Old 02-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

Ours isn't big, but we don't owe, so WOOHOO! It will be helping us get our FFEF replaced. If we spend any of it, it will be on little baby things we may have forgotten.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Um, living. Supplementing dh's income unless he gets a promotion. If a promotion happens, whatever is left goes to savings like usual.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm unsure on the amount we'll be getting back. It has hovered around $1000 in years past, but we had another baby last year, but the tax code underwent some changes....so yeah, i don't know what to expect. If it's a decent return, it will go towards windows in this house. We are going to a home show later this month with the plan that vendors will be offering deals if we book on the spot.

If it's small, it goes into the checking account and just gets spent like the rest.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

just filed last night. we are getting back $8300 and 100% of it is going toward the credit card
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

There's another thread on this but paying off stuff.... baby birth & save for few bills.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:

Our federal is filed and scheduled to be deposited Monday, CAN'T wait. It will be paying off all the rest of our credit card and medical bill debt that we have been paying off. That will then enable us to start saving consistently and making double car payments, woohoo! Our state return will go to making repairs to DH's truck, buying new thermal curtains for our house (because it is FREEZING and windy here, all the time!) and the rest is going into savings.

We will be taking a bit of it, and going away for a night for our 10th anniversary next weekend, so excited!!
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #10
KB'sMama1031
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like you get a lot of money back! ours is being split 4 ways, 1 part for me, 1 part for DH and the last 2 parts into savings