Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:
help me get in/out of bed

Just had my gall bladder removed yesterday. I know many of you ladies have, too, or have had similar things where you shouldn't strain/twist your core body. I have help lined up for my kids all this week, but I'm on my own.

Can someone help me figure out how to get in & out of bed? Our bedside tables block the top part of the bed so I need to get on and wiggle back up to the headboard area. (It's more comfortable to be sitting up a bunch). Also, our bed has major pillow-top so it's squishy. Our bedframe surrounds the bed with a little place to step, in case that helps.

I swear I was listening to the nurse yesterday, but I can't seem to do it now without making my incisions bleed/causing a fair amount of pain.

TIA!

Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

Re: help me get in/out of bed

Getting in just sit down and gently bring your legs on the bed. A stool might help you as well, it did with me. When I used a stool I climbed up and kind of crawled into bed.

Getting out of bed from a back lying position work you way onto your side. From here pull into the fetal position then slowly push up onto the elbow closest to the bed. Next slowly bring your legs around so you're able to dangle them over the bed and ease your upper body into a sitting position.

If it hurts to stand from sitting, or lay from sitting holding a pillow to you belly helps.

I hope you're feeling better soon!

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

thanks, Kim. I'll try that. It hurts way to much to roll to the side of the bed I need to get off, so I'll try rolling the other way and skooching all the way to the bottom of the bed instead. Our bedframe does act as a nice step-stool, so that part is good.

When holding a pillow to your tummy, is that to help support those muscles? Am I trying to help them do their job or trying not to use them?
Old 02-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

It helps to keep things in place so you don't overextending your core. Think about when you sit/stand up. If done quickly or without sucking in then your muscles tend to push forward, which is not comfortable right after surgery.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Tie a rope to your footboard and use it to pull yourself up to a seated position.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
mbleblanc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A pillow helped me a lot. Holding it against my incision spots & going slow while trying to sit up. It gets much better!

I had mine out on a friday and was at school monday doing full days and taking care of my son when I was at home. By then it was just sore and I was exhausted by 7pm but very do-able.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

May not help, but with my mom after her surgery, she used a towel to hoist her feet/legs up onto her bed.

So, sit on the bed, with legs hanging off. Scootch yourself back until your legs are straight b/c knees are on the bed. Get a towel (or a rope will work, too) and hold both ends - one end in each hand. Get the loop over the bottom of your foot and then use that to maneuver one leg at a time onto the bed as you are turning to lay the right direction.

Clear as mud? lol
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
jesajane
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't know if this will really help. I've never had my gall bladder out, so maybe it's not the same thing? But after my c section, I could not get in and out of bed. I slept in my recliner.
jesajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLad View Post
Tie a rope to your footboard and use it to pull yourself up to a seated position.
brilliant!

Thanks for the other suggestions, mamas. Kiliki - clear as mud made me laugh & hurt but was worth it

The moving legs part wasn't too painful, but shimmying up & down the bed was. I'm going on hands and knees now and it seems to work much better.
Enjoying the trolling thread for some good stuck-in-bed reading tonight

Last edited by MsGiggles; 02-01-2013 at 07:34 PM.
MsGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I have had 3 c sections never gall bladder removed. However your issues are similar to what I had when I came home with baby 1. Wearing a tight swimsuit helps to hold the stomach in place allowing more freedom of movement. They do sell post surgery belts that I hear help a lot. I was told to hold my stomach with a pillow. The idea is you are holding your stomach muscles in place. The surgery belt and the swimsuit actually should do a better job of this and free up your hands. Use the side of the bed as leverage to pull your whole body to the side as you roll. This way you are using your arm muscles and not your stomach muscles.