Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
missy5598
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Just wondering

What will my kids be missing out on if I decide to homeschool?

My 4 year old goes to Pre-K for 4 hours 3 days a week. He LOVES it. I on the other hand am not very excited at his change in behavior since he started school. He's like a different kid.

Our initial plan was to send him to our local catholic school. However, money is a huge issue so I'm not sur we'll be able to swing it.

Our public schools are not even close.

So right now, it doesn't sound like they'd be missing out on much but I worry about interaction with other kids. I would obviously participate in whatever homeschooling activities our area provides but what about having other kids to challenge thinking? I feel like a homeschooling group would be a better option. What about school dances? Making friends? The list seems endless. How long do you homeschool for? I remember being in 7th grade and having a girl joing our class mid-year after being homeschooled since Kindergarten and she was always made fun of. It was awful for her. She ended up giving in to peer pressure very easily just to be liked.

Just wondering what other peoples experiences/concerns are.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes trying to type while my boys are trying to hurt each other. Lots of fighting on this Valentines Day.

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Just wondering

Nothing. They will simply have different experiences than if they went to public/private school.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Maybe you could try poking around yahoo or facebook and see if there are any homeschooling groups local to you.

I have found 3 in my area. They host dances - rent out a venue, bring in caterers, hire a DJ, etc - a couple times a year. They have trips - a cruise (like on a ship!), a tour of the airport, a historical tour of the old downtown theater - a few times a month. And there is a weekly park day. And that is all in addition to other activities that they plan. Art classes, reading clubs, playgroups, music lessons....

And we get to be as involved as we want to be in all of that.

IMO, this is a BENEFIT of homeschooling. I get to pick and choose what activities fit for my kids, which ones are not a good idea, and which ones I think we could use in our curriculum/learning experiences.

Also check out zoos, local parks, museums, etc. They often host educational programs for kids. Our local zoo and museum has educational "scavenger hunts" for the kids to print out and do during their visit. And we go out and about typically once a week or so. My kids meet new kids, play, and they learn.

At our homeschool group meetups, there are kids of all different ages. I think our group ranges in age from 2-14 years old. And you would be floored (or at least I was!!!) at how amazingly polite, respectful, and kind the older kids are to the younger ones. There's no natural age division. In fact, I see the opposite. The older kids enjoy the younger ones and help manage them, and engage them in all of the activities.

These are the things I think my kids would be missing out on if we chose to public school them.

I plan to homeschool for as long as it's a good choice for our family. I don't see that changing, but I'll never say never. When homeschooling becomes a bad idea, and it isn't the best choice, we'll change what we're doing to be a better fit for our kids. Right now, I have so far only encountered GOOD things about it.

We work at our own pace. We have lots of friends of varying ages/backgrounds. We do lots of things outside the house. We get to learn in many different environments.

As apprehensive and worried as I was about homeschooling (skeptical at times, even!) I can honestly say I have no regrets at all so far, and I have yet to see anything that concerns me.

Last edited by Kiliki; 02-14-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Nothing. They will simply have different experiences than if they went to public/private school.
This I don't feel that my boys are missing anything and they are getting so many experiences that they couldn't have if they were public schooled. They have a better relationship with each other and with our family because we are all together. They have a stronger bond with their cousins (and a few friends who are as close as family). They are able to be more involved in hobbies because we have time for hobbies. Tharen is passionate about roller derby, something I wouldn't be comfortable with him being involved in if he were public school because practices are so late at night and he would need to homework and be up early for school. My boys are comfortable with people of all ages, not just their immediate peer group (they have no concept of age and talk with adults the same as children). As far as friends my boys may not have countless acquaintances like so many public schooled children tend to have but they do have actual close friends and for me that is better. As I said they are close to each other and they have friends they have met in activities. Some of my youngest son's best friends are adults but I think that is a good thing. My kids will never go to dances but I didn't either and I was in public school k-12. My boys will have so many other great experiences and a chance to find the things they are passionate about and really enjoy them.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
croark
Registered Users
seller

Possibly some team sports. School dances unless they get asked by a PS friend. Interaction with large group of their aged peers (which I don't see as what they would experience in the "real" world anyway. So I see that more of a negative). Maybe riding a bus. Cafeteria style lunch.
They would also be missing out on some of the bullying and peer pressure associated with PS. I personally see that as a good thing but very PS minded parents will sometimes say that they want that for their child so they aren't oversheltered. Character building malarky.

Making friends takes more of an effort on the parents' part but is still certainly possible!!

I plan to HS the whole way through.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hi there Missy!

Are you near Keene, N.H? My DD has a penpal who is homeschooled who lives in Keene. They send her little brochures and notes about different things they do w/ the homeschoolers there.

See there is even a homeschool penpals group!

So, so many different venues are hopping on the homeschooling bandwagon and offering things. The wonderful PPs said about checking out places like museums and nature centers to see what they offer or to encourage them to do so. If anything many of us have too many opportunities of wonderful things to do and have to make the decision of which to go to. I could easily be out all day, most days of the wk w/ different HS opportunities.

Yrs ago before I made the decision to HS I thought why would you do that to a kid but for many of us we feel HSing is the BEST thing we can do for our kids. There are so few of us who just keep our children home for months on end w/ no interaction w/ others so you really, really don't have to worry about the social aspect of homeschooling. Some might even say HSed kids get to socialize more than schooled children because of the many different things they get to do while their counterparts are in school.

The responses you got are great. Like kiliki we will HS for as long as we see fit. My ODD is 12 yrs old and has never attend school, we don't see her attending school anytime soon either. There are SO many different ways to do this. You could have your kids in a co-op or other program. You can have a relative tutor in a subject you dislike or don't have much knowledge or you can learn it along w/ your child.

Around here we have homeschool proms, dances and so many other things. I am also one to always suggest if you don't see something you want, take it upon yourself to offer it.

Yrs ago we were looking for a homeschooling group for young kids. There wasn't one local enough for me so a few of us formed our own which was free and met @ the library. It was a great experience and I am SO glad we had that when we started HSing.

Feel free to ask us any more questions you may have about homeschooling and best wishes!
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
R055ANA
Registered Users

DP

Last edited by R055ANA; 02-14-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
R055ANA
Registered Users

Croark, you make some great points.

When my ODD was younger, I thought about the school bus and how fun it would be for her to ride it to school. I did really think of her not getting to ride the bus as one of the cons for HSing. Turns out our local PS doesn't have busing and the kids walk or get driven to school by parents. My DDs did get to ride a school bus a few times though. There were shuttle buses @ the zoo and we also got to ride them @ other events. On a side note my kids watched a DVD about how a school bus is made and they found it SO interesting.

Here in PA schools have to allow HSed kids to participate in extra curriculars so they won't miss out on that either. Guess it depends on the state.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
croark
Registered Users
seller

Totally agree with RO55ANA. I find that I need to be selective about what we do or I'd never be home! Between church activities, HS field trips, and Girl Scouts we get pretty stretched thin already.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
7mom7
Registered Users

I had my oldest in pre-k and pulled him out halfway though. He was constantly in trouble and I'm still not sure why. When I see him around other kids his age I really can't understand why they were so critical of his behavior. The only thing I can see is that he's active, talkative, and super smart. He was reading and doing math and they were learning to recognize letters and numbers. He started getting really down on himself and would often cry when I picked him up because he wasn't on "green." He really thought he was a bad kid. My niece goes through very similar issues in elementary. I feel like school has a huge focus on behavior instead of learning. They seem to expect too much of kids. I'd hate the idea of sitting in a classroom for that long, much less an active 6 year old!

I feel like homeschool allows a child to develop in the way in which they are naturally gifted. Maybe they'll miss out on some awkward school dances but I certainly hope they miss out on the peer pressure that goes with it. As for sports, in our area we have students that are gifted athletes that choose not to play for high school teams and risk injury. They play for select teams instead. I won't lie, my social butterfly son does miss the friends from pre-k. Even when he was in pre-k he was giving out my phone number and inviting friends over to the house. It's just who he is. That's one of the reasons why we enrolled him in Classical Conversations.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote