Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #101
3boys_mom
Registered Users

Re: Homeschool Check In Feb. 1st--10th

Ok that's it. I'm done, ready to throw in the towel with this whole hs'ing business.

In other words, today was NOT a good day! My oldest had no idea how to come up with a sentence for his writing assignment. It took him hours, literally. I'm really starting to question if I want to keep him home anymore. I just wonder where he'd be place in the PS system (grade wise). He's behind in some areas no matter how hard we work. And his poor attitude is rubbing off on the other boys this school year.

OK vent over....

Congratulations Jen! That's awesome.

To answer some questions towards me...ILs don't help with the sleeping issues my oldest has. They don't reinforce the idea of bedtime/stop playing your game/computer. Yes he has these things in his room, but not by our choice. It's part of why he'd rather sleep in that room than his room on our level. We discipline him...we are the bad guys and at fault. It gets old! As for my youngest and his speech, yes he talks like that all the time, dropping most of the consonant sounds. But in isolation he CAN say the sounds but most of the time will fight and NOT say them. To my knowledge he is finished with the evaluation stage, now we just wait for the recommended course of action. I looked in to it more and we will NOT be registering him for Kindergarten in the school district. I will bring him to his therapy sessions at whatever school they do it in. There are a lot of elementary schools in the area.

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #102
3boys_mom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
While they are probably not typical, there are those families who do not socialize with extra curriculars/outings/etc, and you can tell that the kids have almost been cut off from the outside world and don't really know how to function in it.
Families like this are exactly why I was originally against homeschooling. The only example of hs'ing I had for a long time was a family I knew in high school. Eleven kids in total...the second boy (a year or two younger than me) would NEVER talk to anyone not in the family.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #103
mevans
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpendergraff View Post
I ordered a planner from amazon last night and spent a few hours collecting ideas for next months theme "farm."

We are going to incubate some chicken eggs and visit my DHs cousins farm (they just had baby lambs born).

This week we are doing some valentines day crafts and cooking.
All of this sounds so fun!!
Michelle wifey to Justin, homeschooling SAHM to Kerilynn 3/28/04, Hunter 8/4/06, baby girl Piperann Meadow born 7/19/2011 at 40w5d, and our Great Dane Jess & missing Finley Jonas 7/27/10 ISO: size large Bummis Super Brite covers
mevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #104
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Jen - Congratulations! That is SO exciting. I love babies too. I was at the pediatrician today and my ped said, "Everyone should have a 4 month old at home during the winter. They are so fun loving and sweet." I'm sad that this will probably be my last. I'm trying to make sure to enjoy and soak it all in.

Anyway, Zack has to sound out most things still. I think that's totally normal, but it is annoying and makes everything take longer. Woo Hoo for knowing the books of the old testament. Mine pretty much know them too. Zack had to learn the New Testament for AWANA. So, the kids pretty much know those too. One of my 2 year olds goes around singing the NT song. It is cute!

3boysmom - Sorry you are having a rough time.

mevans - Sorry about the TV. Definitely not trying to judge or criticize anyone. I think I mentioned Rugrats specifically. Way to stick my foot in my mouth. Sorry you all have been sick. I find it really hard to get back into routine even after the weekend. I don't know why and I find it frustrating. We have yet to get going again after our impromptu break last week. I'm supposed to be doing school now, but I'm just distracted, which is typical after a break.

AFU - Really struggling to get back into it after our break last week. Zack is reading his books, but giving me a hard time about reading his Bible Reader. He has to do it today. So, with that...I'm off.....
Old 02-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #105
FormallyMichele
Registered Users
Formerly c****f
seller

My Mood:
We've been doing ocean theme this month. I've given her a few "read, trace, write, draw" worksheets I've made. We've read several books on sea creatures and did some ocean themed math projects (drew numbers out of a bowl and put toothpicks into play dough balls to make urchins)--it has been fun.

I'm just easing into it so it doesn't take a really long time and it isn't scheduled into the day---just whenever she asks. I feel strange about it because it isn't scheduled---does it have to be?
FormallyMichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #106
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I ordered next years curriculum today. Very excited about knowing what I wanted and ordering it before I could change my mind.

We haven't started school today because DS is set on building this tiny lego set he got from Target today. As soon as that gets done, we will get school done.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #107
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We aren't doing school today. I felt terrible last night and didn't sleep well, but we had to be out the door early(ish) this morning for bowling, so we did bowling and grocery shopping. I'm going to go lay down for a bit before making dinner and going to church tonight.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #108
mevans
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here's the new thread from Ro55anna http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1491785
Michelle wifey to Justin, homeschooling SAHM to Kerilynn 3/28/04, Hunter 8/4/06, baby girl Piperann Meadow born 7/19/2011 at 40w5d, and our Great Dane Jess & missing Finley Jonas 7/27/10 ISO: size large Bummis Super Brite covers
mevans is offline   Reply With Quote