Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2013, 05:58 AM   #51
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschool Check In Feb. 1st--10th

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
foggier--you posted while I did, but if you get a chance at all, go to the convention!! I went for the first time last year and highly recommend going. We had some AMAZING speakers at ours (I Todd Wilson) and you get to see so much curriculum and get tons!! of free samples and you get to meet so many people. It's totally worth the admission cost, IMO.

we have 2 conventions in our area. one is HUGE and a bit too far for me to drive. the other is smaller and a shorter drive. i've been to it twice and had a good time both times. at both of the ones in our area, you can volunteer for the conference to get free admission. admission to the ones here is not cheap. i want to think it was over $30 for DH & me. anyway, it was worth it i think. i want to go this yr but don't know if it's gonna be in the budget.

Advertisement

lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:01 AM   #52
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i need spelling advice....
DS1 is 8y.o. I honestly don't think he's "getting" spelling. He can read beautifully. He reads on a 3rd gradish level. He understands everything he reads. And he reads out loud beautifully. But ask him to write a sentence/spell, and it's all over. He completely loses it. We've dabbled with Sequential Spelling and A Reason for Spelling. I like Sequential Spelling, and he seems to make progress, but then when I ask him to spell outside of his spelling lesson, he just loses it. A Reason for Spelling seemed...I don't....disjointed....and I didn't exactly love it. Plus, you really need the teacher's edition to teach it, and I don't have that. So, what do you think??? Keep on w/spelling or put it on the back burner for a bit, like maybe only do it once/week or twice/week???? idk....just confused....
Old 02-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #53
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For spelling we are going to use All About Spelling. It is a bit more costly, but I like that it teaches the encoding...reading teaches the decoding, but to spell you have to do sort of the opposite. It teaches the rules and the phonograms so that they know what letters combined make what sounds.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #54
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to pop in! We are taking an unplanned break this week. Finally, we found a rental property. God's hand and plan is SO clear. We've been praying for the perfect property for us and this could not get any better. It even already has tenants in it and my husband just happens to know the man because he worked with him! Crazy! Anyway, it is really a crazy situation as it has to be closed by next Friday and we just wrote the contract on Tuesday night. So, everyone is scrambling and it is taking a ton of my time.

We have definitely turned a corner with Zack. At his own prompting, he reads to me for at least 20 minutes a day, often continuing on longer because he is interested in what he is reading. He is reading the books I got him for Christmas that I was hoping would "entice" him to want to read. I'm proud to say that my "trick" worked! So, we aren't doing school this week, but not doing nothing either. It is probably a good break for practice.

I'll catch up with everyone in the next few days!

Good for you, Jen for taking a break from MFW when you felt you needed it! I struggle with doing that too. I just want to push on, KWIM, but sometimes the kids need the break.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #55
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn1270 View Post
i need spelling advice....
DS1 is 8y.o. I honestly don't think he's "getting" spelling. He can read beautifully. He reads on a 3rd gradish level. He understands everything he reads. And he reads out loud beautifully. But ask him to write a sentence/spell, and it's all over. He completely loses it. We've dabbled with Sequential Spelling and A Reason for Spelling. I like Sequential Spelling, and he seems to make progress, but then when I ask him to spell outside of his spelling lesson, he just loses it. A Reason for Spelling seemed...I don't....disjointed....and I didn't exactly love it. Plus, you really need the teacher's edition to teach it, and I don't have that. So, what do you think??? Keep on w/spelling or put it on the back burner for a bit, like maybe only do it once/week or twice/week???? idk....just confused....
We don't do spelling. We never have, and here is why. My kids know the phonics rules. They know what makes what sound. Not that it is a perfect system, of course, the English language being what it is. However, when they start to ask me how to spell something, they sound it out and it's almost always correct.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #56
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggierbard9 View Post
For spelling we are going to use All About Spelling. It is a bit more costly, but I like that it teaches the encoding...reading teaches the decoding, but to spell you have to do sort of the opposite. It teaches the rules and the phonograms so that they know what letters combined make what sounds.
we use rod & staff for phonics. and he understands the sounds and the sound combos most of the time. it's like his brain is not making the connection. he understands that letters/letter combos make sounds. he can say the sounds. he can read the words. but when you ask him to spell them, he freaks out. ask him to sound them out, he starts this whole crazy whining I CAN'TTTTTTTTT thing smh. i'll check out all about spelling. some of our friends use it. i'm honestly wondering if his brain just isn't "ready" yet. he kinda did the same thing when he was learning to read. I knew he could read what I was giving him, but he didn't quite believe it, so he wouldn't try. he would just do the I CANN'TTTTTT thing. and we taught him to read phonetically, so I honestly know he knows the sounds. grrrrr......

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
Just wanted to pop in! We are taking an unplanned break this week. Finally, we found a rental property. God's hand and plan is SO clear. We've been praying for the perfect property for us and this could not get any better. It even already has tenants in it and my husband just happens to know the man because he worked with him! Crazy! Anyway, it is really a crazy situation as it has to be closed by next Friday and we just wrote the contract on Tuesday night. So, everyone is scrambling and it is taking a ton of my time.

We have definitely turned a corner with Zack. At his own prompting, he reads to me for at least 20 minutes a day, often continuing on longer because he is interested in what he is reading. He is reading the books I got him for Christmas that I was hoping would "entice" him to want to read. I'm proud to say that my "trick" worked! So, we aren't doing school this week, but not doing nothing either. It is probably a good break for practice.

I'll catch up with everyone in the next few days!

Good for you, Jen for taking a break from MFW when you felt you needed it! I struggle with doing that too. I just want to push on, KWIM, but sometimes the kids need the break.
congrats! Love watching God work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
We don't do spelling. We never have, and here is why. My kids know the phonics rules. They know what makes what sound. Not that it is a perfect system, of course, the English language being what it is. However, when they start to ask me how to spell something, they sound it out and it's almost always correct.
that's DSs prob. he knows the phonics...he knows the sounds...but he has some sort of mental block when it comes to the spelling of the words. it's as if he really doesn't believe he can do it smh. oh well, i'll just be a little more patient
Old 02-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #57
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank Lyn!

Personally, I could never take that approach for spelling for myself. I am and have always been a very bad speller. I know phonics and can read without issue (even when in elementary school), but I can't spell. Even now, sometimes, I spell things so badly that spell check can't figure out what I'm trying to spell. I have no clue why and it has always been a source of embarrassment for me for my whole life. Without spelling in school, I am sure I would be much worse than I am. So, if you feel he needs a program or a different program, I would suggest you use one. Zack isn't there yet, so I don't have any suggestions.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #58
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn1270 View Post
we use rod & staff for phonics. and he understands the sounds and the sound combos most of the time. it's like his brain is not making the connection. he understands that letters/letter combos make sounds. he can say the sounds. he can read the words. but when you ask him to spell them, he freaks out. ask him to sound them out, he starts this whole crazy whining I CAN'TTTTTTTTT thing smh. i'll check out all about spelling. some of our friends use it. i'm honestly wondering if his brain just isn't "ready" yet. he kinda did the same thing when he was learning to read. I knew he could read what I was giving him, but he didn't quite believe it, so he wouldn't try. he would just do the I CANN'TTTTTT thing. and we taught him to read phonetically, so I honestly know he knows the sounds. grrrrr......

congrats! Love watching God work!

that's DSs prob. he knows the phonics...he knows the sounds...but he has some sort of mental block when it comes to the spelling of the words. it's as if he really doesn't believe he can do it smh. oh well, i'll just be a little more patient
Ahhh, I see. We use Rod and Staff as well, so I know they are very thorough. Not really sure what to suggest then. Hope you find something!

AFU, the older two are struggling today to get work done. Taking Wednesday off because of everything else going on seems to have messed up their week. Right now I'm waiting for DH to get home because Natalie has a UTI, and (of course) is at the point of screaming when she pees. I wish she could give me a heads-up in time to get some cranberry juice and flush it out, but she seems to go right to the screaming. Anyway, when DH gets home I can run her up to urgent care, as he has the car seat (and the booster -- stupid me for sticking it in the trunk).
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #59
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
foggier--you posted while I did, but if you get a chance at all, go to the convention!! I went for the first time last year and highly recommend going. We had some AMAZING speakers at ours (I Todd Wilson) and you get to see so much curriculum and get tons!! of free samples and you get to meet so many people. It's totally worth the admission cost, IMO.
Where is the convention you attend? I've never been to one and am interested in going, but I don't think I have anything local to me.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #60
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post
Where is the convention you attend? I've never been to one and am interested in going, but I don't think I have anything local to me.
We go to Springfield. It's still a good drive away, but the closest that I know of. Its called SHEM you can look it up online but they didn't have much info up last I checked. I always forget what part of mo you're from but I do remember you going through Springfield before.

Heather-- I am the same way with spelling. I am horrid. I read very fluently and have no issues their but I can't spell at all. Never could. I hate it because it makes me feel/look stupid sometimes but I guess everyone has issues with something. Congratulations on the rental!!!
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote