Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #71
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschool Check In Feb. 1st--10th

I have a feeling Adventures will be my favorite year. I LOVE American History, and I already find myself looking forward to my son getting through 1st grade next year just so we can do Adventures the following year.

Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #72
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggierbard9 View Post
I have a feeling Adventures will be my favorite year. I LOVE American History, and I already find myself looking forward to my son getting through 1st grade next year just so we can do Adventures the following year.
I am the same. I've been looking forward to Adventures since I decided MFW was our HS'ing path. I will say though, I have enjoyed 1st a LOT more than I expected to and my son is really enjoying it also. It is Biblical history, mostly OT. Each day he is anxious to hear and listens intently as I read that day's story. He often says, "Oh man!" when I finish and tell him we will find out the rest of the story the next day. He really enjoys his Bible Notebook also. It's has been a good year so far.

Still, I am really looking forward to Adventures and studying our history again. We live near a LOT of our history and I can't wait to take field trips to all our battlefields and founding father's homes and such. (I'm sure some of it will have to wait till another year when they are older, but still. I'm excited.) We are a little more than half way through 1st and I'm starting to drool again thinking of Adventures finally coming!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #73
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am a bit bored with K, but that is because it is just basics. I really enjoy history, so it is good to hear that 1st grade does get into some history with the OT.

I can see us taking a LOT of field trips with Adventures. We already take the kids to a lot of historical sites since we moved here, but having MORE reason will just get us even more incentive. I figure Adventures, and then in the 5 yr cycle, and then again at the High School level we can visit these sites and they will get more and more from them every time we go, so it will be fun now, but fun and even more educational later.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #74
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh yeah, you are in MD. I forgot. We are in No. VA. I have lived here my whole life. So, I visited all the sites as a child. I was one of the few kids in my class that would enjoy the field trips for more than just getting out of school. It's been a while since we did it and I can't wait to do it again. I think when you grow up here, you don't see as much as you would if you move here as an adult or even if you come for a vacation. It's just always been there, KWIM? I'm happy to have an excuse.

Make sure you go visit the Antietam Battlefield in Sharpsburg, MD. That is one of the ones I remember most clearly. I found it very interesting and it has had a life long affect on me. Though...you might wait till they are older for that one. It was a very bloody battle and opened my eyes to how devastating and deadly war really is.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #75
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

(I'm being distracted today. )

I can't believe it! My child who dreaded reading and I dreading reading with now will not stop reading to me!!! He is still slow, but he won't stop bring me his book. He wants to read rather than doing anything else, even TV. I gave him 7 easy reader books for Christmas with the intention of enticing him based on his interests. Apparently, it worked! He is reading those...a page or two at a time. (He is still slow so it takes time.) He has gone through them all and put them in order that he wants to read them. He told me today, "Mom, reading is my favorite chore!" (Remember our chore chart and the 20 minutes of reading chore he asked to do at the end of last week.) He is reading this one right now, Weird Sea Creatures. He is determined to finish it today and then start one about Storms. I'm just so amazed. It is so cool watch this happening!!

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 02-09-2013 at 01:54 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #76
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Yay for reading!!!
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #77
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
We go to Springfield. It's still a good drive away, but the closest that I know of. Its called SHEM you can look it up online but they didn't have much info up last I checked. I always forget what part of mo you're from but I do remember you going through Springfield before.

Heather-- I am the same way with spelling. I am horrid. I read very fluently and have no issues their but I can't spell at all. Never could. I hate it because it makes me feel/look stupid sometimes but I guess everyone has issues with something. Congratulations on the rental!!!
I'm off to check that out. I live in Jefferson City. So, KC, St. Louis and Springfield are all roughly about the same time (2-2.5 hours). The benefit of Springfield is that we have family that lives in Bolivar and the ILs have a condo in Branson, so at least we'd have somewhere to stay if we go that direction.

AFU: I am going to write a letter to the school district asking to have DD2 tested for their gifted program. A friend of ours is an elementary school counselor and was astounded that she wasn't already in it and said that she couldn't imagine why she wasn't tested in second grade at the first opportunity. It's because her standardized test scores aren't that great (mid 80th %, so certainly not "gifted"). Seeing how she learns this year, I can see that having to sit for any length of time would've just made her nearly go crazy. I'm sure that she spent all of her energy trying to be in the chair being quiet and didn't pay any attention to the test. If she is accepted, that will certainly be another reason to continue to hs her. I feel that I will really have a problem convincing DH to continue. He just doesn't grasp the homeschool lifestyle. He agrees that the kids are learning more, but cannot get away from the social aspect even though they both are involved in many more activities than they were in B&M school. I think it will be a tough sell, and that makes me .
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #78
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

That's fantastic Heather!!!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #79
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ah, Kristin, I'm sorry your DH doesn't get it.

If you are in the Jeff city area, isn't there probably a convention up there? I would do a Google check. Or maybe check with some other hs moms?
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #80
R055ANA
Registered Users

Heather, thank you for sharing your story w/ us. I am SO delighted to hear about your DS interest in reading and how he is choosing reading over watching TV, wow, wow! Good for you on realizing what books would spark his interest. Your story is probably inspiring a few of us who have children who are struggling to pick up reading, it is encouraging to us.

Kristin, I am sorry to hear your DH isn't thinking HS is working out. Hopefully your DD will qualify for the gifted program. If that doesn't work what about enrolling your kids in some of the after school programs? I can't remember the laws in MO but here in PA the PS has to allow homeschooled children to participate in extra curriculars. I hope you are able to work out something w/ your DH.
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote