Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
KelliB86
Registered Users

New Here - Questions about my stash

Hey everyone - I have been lurking on here for a while, but this is my first post. I am due in May and working on building a stash of diapers to try once my little one gets here. I am planning on starting CD'ing after she loses the cord, or a little after as I didn't buy any "newborn" diapers and I know one-size diapers aren't going to fit right away. Here is what I currently have:

2 BG Freetime (one snaps, one aplix)
1 Swaddlebees Simplex AIO OS
3 Softbums Echo - I anticipate these to fit earlier than others
2 Ragababe 2-Step
2 Thirsties AIO (smaller size) - I also anticipate these to fit earlier

Do you guys think I will find something I like out of these? I KNOW my husband won't do pockets, so I am trying to stick with AIO or AI2. I really like that the Simplex can be stuffed if needed, and I know I can add a doubler down the line to some of the AIOs. I also know a lot of people mix their stash rather than having all of one brand. Any other brands you recommend I try?

My other major questions is about prepping. I read on here that the organic materials need to be prepped multiple times, but the synthetic fibers only need washed once. Since my stash is so small, can I add towels or other laundry to my wash? Also, the Ragababe website recommends only to wash once, even though the inserts are cotton. I will be using Country Save detergent (i think...)

This cloth diapering is addicting already! I always find myself doing research and adding diapers to the list of ones I want to try! Yikes!

Thanks for all your help!!! I really appreciate it!
Kelli

Advertisement

KelliB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
babymakes3.4.5....
Registered Users
seller
seller

It looks pretty good! I think it's a good idea to try different materials like you have, you may find that you love or hate microfiber or stay dry or whatever the case may be

If you were to add anything I would suggest a couple prefolds and a cover or two, just to see how you like it!

Make sure to prep the natural and synthetic materials separately until they are completely prepped and then you can wash them together after that. And yes, you can throw them in with towels and such so you don't have to waste a bunch of time/water/energy with a super small load

Good luck mama!
babymakes3.4.5.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Softbums are my favorite! Ad the echos fit my little one at 5.5 lbs, so I am sure they will fit your little one super quickly. I've never tried any of the others that you mentioned, but I'm sure you'll find something you'll like in that lot.

You can absolutely add towels etc to your prepping! Won't hurt a thing.
theonenonlymrssmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: New Here - Questions about my stash

I agree with have a few diffrent styles and materials ans seeing what you like best. Why is DH against pockets? They work jsut like and AIO and there are ones that wont require he touch the inserts IF you want to try any.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
Mandan914
Registered Users
seller

We used Softbums on our NB and he was 8lbs at birth, fit amazingly! I think you will be happy with that stash, I also love our Rockabums but they are a pocket/ AI2 that has a charcoal bamboo fleece which is super nice for messy poos it never stains and cleans super easy, the soakers are wider and shorter then the softbums large pods, (idk if you have any, but in case you did) so the rabs soakers would work from nb size easily.

I alwasy prep my natural fibers with babies clothes or towels (with cd safe detergent of course) and 5-6x the others 3-5x before they are fully prepped. a faster way would be to boil the soakers for 30 mins on the stove in a big stockpot..

Here are some pictures of my ds2 in cloth as a nb:
http://wherethewindblowsourfamilygoe...-report-1.html

Congrats on this journey and good luck with everything!!

newborns, infants, toddler, nights during pting
www.softbums.com
Mandan914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think you're really going to like every diaper you've picked out.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would def prep with other laundry (towels etc). When done prepping it might be worth washing all your diapers on a hot cycle with no detergent just as an extra rinsing precaution since with the towels you might be using more detergent than you would normally for diapers.

I love the AI2 system. You might want to check out the imagine Ai2 at nicki's diapers they are really cost effective. It's a new line. I did really love the GroVia we used, but I would only recommend them if you were into snaps. Their Velcro isn't the best.

Good Luck!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-04-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

since with the towels you might be using more detergent than you would normally for diapers.

Not to be confused with the notion that diapers need less detergent than regular laundry. That might be true when prepping brand new diapers, but a diaper that has been peed in or pooped in needs more detergent than a load of towels.

All of the diapers that you have will probably work fine. One of the complaints people with varied stashes often have is how much they hate to match inserts to diapers. And some people loathe microfiber. I think it's important to remember that diapers are used to absorb pee and keep clothes dry and clean. Secondarily, they can be a fashion statement or a conversation piece and a cost savings, of course. Consider your primary motivating factor for CDing and your stash will fall in line with that goal.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
KelliB86
Registered Users

Thanks so much for all the feedback! I am trying really hard not to buy any more diapers until I can actually use them! I'm already getting addicted haha.
KelliB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
Guitarlov
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliB86
Thanks so much for all the feedback! I am trying really hard not to buy any more diapers until I can actually use them! I'm already getting addicted haha.
Yep. Super addictive don't worry about pockets. I always folded and stuffed mine so all hubby had to do was strap it on. Lol.

The easy peasies newborn all in one is really great. Lasted in my babe til about 14 lbs and we never had leaks. We moved on to the pockets after that. I wish I had used cloth for my first two babies!!
Guitarlov is offline   Reply With Quote