Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
melissamomof3girls
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Best product to encourage naturally curly hair?

My hair used to be really really curly until I got pregnant with our first child. Ever since then it's gone back and forth before wavy & curly. I have been using a flat iron on it for years now. It is shoulder length now and I am really wanting to wear it naturally again, but it seems to dry straighter on one side and curlier on the other.

Any ideas?

I use sulfate-free shampoos/conditioners. I'm really not sure which product to use for the curls after I wash it.

I am going in for a trim next Saturday. Right now it's all one length, thick, and course.

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Have you read the Curly Girl book? I highly suggest it! It seriously made taking care of my hair a million times easier. No more worrying about a flat iron and I get tons of compliments. If I want it more finished and smooth looking, I use large rollers and a setting lotion. No heat though.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
melissamomof3girls
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Best product to encourage naturally curly hair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by napua View Post
Have you read the Curly Girl book? I highly suggest it! It seriously made taking care of my hair a million times easier. No more worrying about a flat iron and I get tons of compliments. If I want it more finished and smooth looking, I use large rollers and a setting lotion. No heat though.
Yes, I read it a few years back when I borrowed it from the library. I skimmed some blogs about it this morning too.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use Bed Heads by TIGI - Styleshots hi-def curls shampoo and conditioner with CatWalk Curl Collection Curlesque curl cream by TIGI. I really like their products.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I use Aveda's Be Curly curl enhancer with a little bit of gel. Works great!!

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

both of my kids & DH have super curly hair that turns into a frizzy mess if not taken care of. they all use CJs spritz of butter daily
Old 02-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Has anyone used coconut oil??my DS has super Curley hair, and I was reading a bit on that this morning. I was wondering if it works!
theonenonlymrssmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonenonlymrssmith View Post
Has anyone used coconut oil??my DS has super Curley hair, and I was reading a bit on that this morning. I was wondering if it works!
I read that it was really great too, so I bought some for my super curly-headed daughter and myself. Unfortunately, all it does is make us look like we haven't showered in 2 weeks. WAY too greasy, even in tiny amounts.

Most days all DD and I do is wet our hair and scrunch it with our hands and let it air dry, but if I want a little bit of hold or if it's super humid out I will add some styling mousse while I scrunch.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #9
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonenonlymrssmith View Post
I know that it works for some, but I've never had any luck...it's one of the few things that makes my hair look greasy & stringy.

I'd also recommend Live Curly, Live Free. It talks more about the science behind curly hair & appropriate products, so you get guidance on figuring out your hair's characteristics, then what types of ingredients work best for those characteristics.

For me, wavy-curly hair, thick, porous, coarse hair, I cleanse my hair 1-2x wk, usually w/ cleansing conditioner. I condition daily with a silicone-free rinse-out conditioner. When I get out of the shower, I add a goodly amount of leave-in conditioner, finger comb it through. Right now, for styling I use (homemade) flax seed gel (LOTS of it!) & I scrunch in a couple tablespoons of regular, silicone-free gel (I mix Garnier Pure & Aussie Instant Freeze gels). But I've also been doing CG/no-poo for about 2.5 yrs & all of my pre-CG hair has been trimmed off, & that makes a difference. I've used a number of different gels, mousses, conditioners, etc., most of them with good results.

If I were you, I'd check out naturallycurly.com, but as a starting place, I'd go to Sally Beauty & get their GVP moisturizing balm conditioner & their natural protein filler. Both are really reasonably priced. Condition with a 2-3Tbsp of the balm with a couple drops of the protein filler mixed in. Put it in wet hair, finger comb through, leave it in through your shower, then rinse out. After shower, gently squeeze some of the water out. Add leave-in conditioner...I like Giovanni Direct Leave-In Conditioner or Beautiful Curls for wavy to curly hair (I hear great things about their gels, too). Follow with styling products...gel &/or mousse are favorites. At some point, you'll want to "plop" your hair or gently scrunch out some of the water...a flour sack towel, a microfiber towel, or an old t-shirt will work better than a regular towel.

You can buy lots of good stuff at Target; Kinky Curly & Shea Moisture are two brands that are generally sulfate- & silicone-free, but even most regular drugstore brands have some good options. If you like non-discount products, Jessicurl is highly recommended, as are Deva products...Curl Mart is a great place to shop. And some of the curly "holy grail" products (none of which I use, mostly b/c I'm cheap ) are Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (hard-hold gel), Kinky Curly Curling Custard (natural, light hold gel), AG Re:Coil (curl activator), & Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper (anti-frizz)
carriek38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my hair use to be really curly, after ds2 it never got that curly again

went from this

to this

Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote