Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
doublebk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
A few questions

Here is a rundown of our current situation:

Oldest dd: 14, currently in the 8th grade. She is the only one schooling at home. My younger 2 (K and 1st) are in a charter school. Our oldest, Beth, was in regular school until the middle of 7th. She has severe anxiety. She was being bullied at her old school, so we pulled her out mid year. We gave her the rest of 7th grade "off" to decompress. For 8th grade we did a k12 school online. It is going ok. She is doing way better grades wise, but I just dont love it.

So, here is the thing, and please be nice, no flames. I NEVER wanted to homeschool my kids. If it werent for Beth's issues, I would not be doing it now. I know it is good for her and I am fine with it, but I do not want to be her teacher. I work, have her two sisters, and am also a nursing student. I don't have the time or the want to be her teacher.

One of my very good friends has a masters in education. We were talking the other day about how high school is more about finding out what you are good in and refining skills than really learning anything new. I am a very bright successful person and I can't remember anything I learned in high school. It was honestly boring for me. Writing papers about wars we fought that now I could barely tell you about, learning higher math that I have never used since and couldnt do now if you asked, ect.

So, my point is: what do hsing or unschooling families do with kids at this age? She will trudge through her online school, but I honestly dont get the feeling she is retaining much, plus when they do CSAP's she is going to bomb them because she has HUGE text anxiety as well as social anxiety. I would much rather forgo school all together, but I dont want a lazy kid who sits around reading and playing computer games.

I don't know what to do. Any ideas? She knows she wants to be a barn manager and we are in the process of buying land to make a farm with a barn on it for her. It would not surprise me if she stayed on our land, even in her own house, and never went off to college. She would probably go back to co sleeping if we let her. She takes horse lessons and has shown interest in taking college course from a local community college for fun. But what about a high school diploma?

Sorry this is so long, just trying to figure all this out.

Advertisement

doublebk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I have high schoolers. (We did virtual school in middle school)

Now we use our own program. We are skipping state testing (not required here) but are doing the SATs in 11th grade.

We pay a monthly fee for the program we use but we love it. It is all set up for them and easy to work through.

They will take their GED test when they are done with 12th grade work (hopefully a year early)

95 percent of colleges accept homeschool or GED students including harvard and yale. (Not that my kids want to go their anyways)

My oldest wants to go to Le Cordon Bleu for culinary arts and my other wants to go to MIT and Woods Hold in Boston for marine biology. This wont hold them back at all. They are way ahead of their peers because they can work at their own pace.

They need very little intervention from me other than reading their essays.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I also want to add. Your DD sounds like my 15 year old DD. she is very homebodyish and has test anxiety. She has OCD, add and anxiety. She has never done well with testing.

Our community college allows you to take classes while in highschool and also while going for a GED. So that might be something to look into.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: A few questions

There are so many hs options out there that there has to be something that she would be more into. Can she pick things she's interested in (like a certain breed of horse) do research and write a paper on it? This is a lot what highschool and college is. More maybe if you want to incorporate history she could look into horse care during a certain war? I'm sure she would still learn the details and dates just by looking into certain areas of a subject...then it would be more concreate and better retained. The beauty of hs is finding what your childs triggers are and go in that direction.

Last edited by *KaiMom*; 02-04-2013 at 07:53 PM.
*KaiMom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
doublebk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ktmelody: what program do you use?

I do not want to be the one "in charge" of giving out and grading assignments. I would love for her to have some sort of curriculum, that requires minimal involvement from me. Proofing things is fine as I would be doing that if she was in public school, but I don't want to have to come up with assignments.

Beth struggles with English. She is a voracious reader, but can't spell or write a paper to save her soul. She does poetry and is very gifted at that, but any other form of writing is horrible, borders on unreadable. I can't follow her train of thought, she skips around, and for being a whiz on the computer she has yet to figure out spell check.

I think, though, that assigning her to write a paper on something that interests her every week would get tedious. I wish she had the self motivation to wonder about something and look it up. I am not a creative person whatsoever, so coming up with assignments would be very difficult for me. Yet, I find the requirements in many online schools to be ridiculous. I wish I could rely on her to self teach, but I don't think she would, and I don't want her to take the next four years off. Lol.

Last edited by doublebk; 02-04-2013 at 08:24 PM.
doublebk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebk
Ktmelody: what program do you use?

I do not want to be the one "in charge" of giving out and grading assignments. I would love for her to have some sort of curriculum, that requires minimal involvement from me. Proofing things is fine as I would be doing that if she was in public school, but I don't want to have to come up with assignments.
We use
Elearning k12 level 1

They have other levels that you pay more for that include teacher support.

It has lectures and quizzes/tests. It aligns with common core standards and they have a few electives. I think you can pay extra for rosetta stone and ged/sat prep.

Its $50 a month. No contract.