Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dog People - HELP!

So I have a 1 year-old husky mix. Still very much a baby, and can be very destructive if you take your eyes off of him for a moment. So we have a crate that he goes in at night, when we are not home, and any time we can't adequately watch him.

However, recently he has started HOWLING every time he is in the crate - when I am home. I leave for work/school before anyone else is up - those days, he comes out when I get up, I feed him, take him for a walk, he hangs out with me, I take him out one more time, and then he goes into the crate until DH lets him out. This may be several hours later some days and not a peep.

When I am home, on the other hand, he will howl and whine and howl. Yesterday I was off of work, had him out with me all day - tried to put him in the crate while I made dinner and he howled. While I gave the kids a bath - he howled. He pretty much howled every time up until bedtime.

We have used the crate with him since he came home at 6 weeks old, so this is not a new routine. He has durable toys/chewies in there with him.

Someone suggest something before my DH makes him an outside dog?

Advertisement

And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Dog People - HELP!

Have you tried putting a blanket over the crate?
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Try putting a shirt that you have worn in the crate with him so that he can still smell you or sleep with an older blanket one night and then put it in his crate.

Our dog is really more my dog. She has to be near me all the time. DH-- she could care less.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 View Post
Have you tried putting a blanket over the crate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa View Post
Try putting a shirt that you have worn in the crate with him so that he can still smell you or sleep with an older blanket one night and then put it in his crate.

Our dog is really more my dog. She has to be near me all the time. DH-- she could care less.
I can't put anything in/over his crate - he destroys it (plus I worry about him swallowing any while he does so). His crate is in an old mudroom off of the family room, and I have tried hanging a sheet over the entryway but it doesn't help. It sort of works if I pretend to leave and then sneak back in...at least until he hears me.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
ProudCoastieWife
Registered Users
Formerly: GrimLife
seller

My Mood:

Make sure that when he does howl you are not going over there and letting him out, petting him, etc. Just like a child, they figure out really quick, if I howl long enough mom will give in.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCoastieWife View Post
Make sure that when he does howl you are not going over there and letting him out, petting him, etc. Just like a child, they figure out really quick, if I howl long enough mom will give in.
So I need to do CIO with the dog? If DH could handle it I would. I tried for a short time tonight but after 15 minutes we both wanted to strangle him...
Old 02-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Destructive or disruptive behavior in dogs is a sign of boredom and too much pent up energy. You have a smart high energy dog that may not be getting enough structured exercise. How long and how far is this dog walking every day. Are you walking it or is he walking you kwim? Do you have a dog backpack for him to carry things. Do you do any training? These are all things that would help eliminate that type of behavior.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
Destructive or disruptive behavior in dogs is a sign of boredom and too much pent up energy. You have a smart high energy dog that may not be getting enough structured exercise. How long and how far is this dog walking every day. Are you walking it or is he walking you kwim? Do you have a dog backpack for him to carry things. Do you do any training? These are all things that would help eliminate that type of behavior.
Totally agree...our husky mix only howls when kenneled for a long time, and only when he hears us pulling up in the driveway. He is ready to move! On super cold days when he can't get out for a walk (I mean the -45 with windchill kind of days) we try to get him active in the house by running up and down the stairs or just working on obedience (having 2 dogs helps, they play and run around in the house to burn energy).
Old 02-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We go for a mile twice a day, longer when the weather permits. We also have a fenced in backyard that he will run around in. I'm not sure that it is just pent up energy as he will only do it when I'm around - DH is a stay at home dad and says he won't make a peep while I'm gone unless he needs to go out.

As far as training he knows a few basic commands - he will sit, lay down, etc. However only if there is a treat involved - he is too smart/stubborn. Walking we use a gentle leader - otherwise he'd be walking me!
Old 02-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
Antebellum
Banned

My Mood:

how many hours a day is he crated?
Antebellum is offline   Reply With Quote