Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
blackberry75
Registered Users

TX residents, help w/ child restraint laws

We'll be visiting my dad in June and I keep trying to look up the state's laws. I'm a bit confused. Google has not been my friend, all I can find is what they recommend not the actual laws. I need to get this taken care of because my Aunts are going to get seats down there so we don't have to lug them through airports, baggage claim, etc. My concern is that, given they haven't needed to use carseats in 16ish years, they'll grab any old thing.

Gman is just about at the height/weight limit for the seat we have him in now and will be upgraded to a high back booster. Bean will be 18m then, she's a week or two away from 11m now. Now she's pretty close to reaching the limits of her bucket seat so we'll switch her to Gman's old convertable. For her, I'm just gonna tell them to get a convertable and install it rearfacing, but I'm not sure if I need them to get a carseat w/ a higher height/weight limit for Gman or a high backed booster. If the laws are the same in TX as they are in OH, then it's not an issue. If they're not, I've got problems.

Edit: I also need to know, so I know how much $$ to pp to them. Duh, that's kinda the important part.

Advertisement

Last edited by blackberry75; 02-02-2013 at 06:36 PM.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: TX residents, help w/ child restraint laws

Texas is a proper use state so you're fine as long as your within manufacturers guidelines and kids that are either 8 or 4'9" are not required to be in a child safety seat.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
blackberry75
Registered Users

Thank you, that is really helpful.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How old will he be when you travel? If he will be under 5, I would have a harnessed seat at the other end. 5 or older, and I would do some booster training before you go, and make sure he's ready to take on that responsibility for the trip.

If I were you, I'd order online and have the seats shipped to your destination, so you're not at your aunts' mercy as to what seats they choose. For the baby, a Cosco Scenera would probably be the cheapest bet. For your son, the Evenflo Maestro is a great seat if he's under 50lbs. The Harmony Defender is probably the next cheapest and has a 65lb weight limit. If he will be ready for a booster, then a Graco Turbobooster would be my pick. I think Target has them on sale this week.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote