Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #101
luvbeingmomma
Registered Users

Re: February Chat Thread

Anything can happen on this roller coaster ride that is fost/adopt. Try to prepare your heart for all outcomes.

Advertisement

luvbeingmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #102
jenfostermom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Luvbeingmomma that's way easier said than done.....the reality of having little ones in our homes and attaching to them since its so important for their little brains is that we put our hearts on the line. When they tell you that it looks long term-preadoptive it's normal to let your head/heart "go there."

So sorry, mama. Praying it comes to quick resolution.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #103
dalynn1997
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfostermom View Post
Luvbeingmomma that's way easier said than done.....the reality of having little ones in our homes and attaching to them since its so important for their little brains is that we put our hearts on the line. When they tell you that it looks long term-preadoptive it's normal to let your head/heart "go there."

So sorry, mama. Praying it comes to quick resolution.
We need a LIKE button! Well said!
Christian Wife to DH married 16 years. Forever mommy to my adopted son #9 C (3 yrs) Currently fostering #20 A our bonus buddy full sibling to my adopted son (16 mths). We have fostered 20 children so far, some with medical special needs. Still hoping for a forever girl.
dalynn1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #104
luvbeingmomma
Registered Users

I know from personal experience it is hard...damn hard! The key word there was "try". These sweet babies do need us to attach and love them just like our own. I had a placement that was supposed to go to an out of town relative and in the 11th hour something came to light that stopped it. That is what I mean by anything can happen.
luvbeingmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #105
dalynn1997
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well today was a bittersweet day. We have waited 4 months for my AS C to get into Neurology. We walked out with an absolutely, without a doubt... Your son is autistic. She was impressed at how well he is doing but he has been in therapy since 6 months old.

She believes he has a genetic condition called tuberous sclerosis. Kids with this have a 25-50% chance of autism. We are doing genetic testing. But almost guarantees the one older sister with autism like tendencies and our NB will be on spectrum.

Not good news at all but confirmation for us. We just want to help him reach his potential and get the services he needs.
Christian Wife to DH married 16 years. Forever mommy to my adopted son #9 C (3 yrs) Currently fostering #20 A our bonus buddy full sibling to my adopted son (16 mths). We have fostered 20 children so far, some with medical special needs. Still hoping for a forever girl.
dalynn1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #106
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

So sorry dalynn. Even if you know the truth in your heart you never want to hear those words about your child.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #107
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalynn1997
Well today was a bittersweet day. We have waited 4 months for my AS C to get into Neurology. We walked out with an absolutely, without a doubt... Your son is autistic. She was impressed at how well he is doing but he has been in therapy since 6 months old.

She believes he has a genetic condition called tuberous sclerosis. Kids with this have a 25-50% chance of autism. We are doing genetic testing. But almost guarantees the one older sister with autism like tendencies and our NB will be on spectrum.

Not good news at all but confirmation for us. We just want to help him reach his potential and get the services he needs.
There is definitely peace that comes with a diagnosis. It doesn't change who he is, or who he can become, it just gives you direction on how to move forward and do what's best for him.

It's sad to know that the newb will probably be on the spectrum as well.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #108
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalynn1997 View Post

Oh mama I can only imagine how hard this must be.

AFM: Well I found out today that the baby girl is not even IN CARE yet. They have yet to go to court. So this is why they have been putting us off on visiting her! They have no legal rights to her at all This isn't exactly how it was presented to start with.

I don't know if many of you remember this but there was a little boy in Oregon that DH and I desperately wanted. A couple days before our license came through he was removed from the listing. Now he is available again! We have asked that our home study be submitted to the agency.

Our very first foster care placement was a four day respite for a 3 year old little boy. We have that same little boy, who I will call E, for a week this week. Well I was looking at Michigan photolistings and he is on there with his older sister. We love E. He is a sweet wonderful boy who gets along with our son beautifully. We are not licensed for the older girl though. We could make it work by doing some minor work in our back room and turning it into a third bedroom. I have met her once and she seems as sweet as E. The funny thing is I told my mom on the phone today that if I could keep E that would be perfect. Than tonight I find out he is adoptable.

For an update on Little-Man: When this started dad was not involved. This past week he has become a part of the picture and it looks like he may be a much more stable situation. As long as they can smooth some things out with him it is looking like little man will be going home at some point. Not sure what the time line is going to look like since he just started but it looks good for Little-Man.

I feel overwhelmed with all the possibilities right now. They are all so up in the air yet I have this fear they all will come to our doorstep, so to speak, and who do we turn away. We could easily love any or all of these children but if we have the option of them all what are we going to do???? I can't even say which situation I would prefer. There is an upside and downside on each but none of the issues are so big that we wouldn't be able to handle it. I feel like any of them could fit for us. I wish I had just one focus and I could fight for that situation, but its not that simple. I also don't want to come off the wrong way to our agency. If we show too much interest in too many children I don't know how that will look. As you can see they are in great need of adoptive and foster homes so I'm not sure its a huge deal but I still worry...... Okay well I am rambling now but my mind is going a million miles a minute with what if scenarios.

Last edited by FerventlyDreaming; 02-25-2013 at 10:33 PM.
FerventlyDreaming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #109
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

wow! it sounds like you are at an exciting time right now...can't wait to see how this plays out!
Old 02-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #110
millermyer2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do people doing relative foster care get paid? I have a little girl in class that is being cared for by her grandma and was just curious!