Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #111
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: February Chat Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by millermyer2 View Post
Do people doing relative foster care get paid? I have a little girl in class that is being cared for by her grandma and was just curious!
yep!

Advertisement

~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #112
jenfostermom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
In our county they would only if they get licensed for kinship care.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #113
millermyer2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfostermom View Post
In our county they would only if they get licensed for kinship care.
Is that the first couple weeks of the Pride class?
Old 02-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #114
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

i don't know what PRIDE is? but i think here they take the same pre-placement class as us. there are three levels. level 1 is kinship, level 2 is most other foster homes and level 3 are treatment homes. i think. lol
Old 02-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #115
millermyer2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In Illinois there is a 8 or 9 week class that you have to take! If I remember right they only have to take the first few weeks?!?! Does anyone know?

If she just has guardianship can she change to relative foster care? Just wondering! She seems really stress and overwhelmed! I thought about saying something to her about it! She would get a lot more help with their needs through foster care!
Old 02-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #116
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

In MI they had to take the same classes we did. (We had a few in our PRIDE classes) They didn't talk about financial compensation though, so I am not sure how that works.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #117
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

i think ours works different than most in that we only have to take a one day preplacement class and then over the course of the next 2 years are required to take 9 modules of training which are i think 3 hours long each? i was nice to get licensed right away but of course now its hard to make the time to get the trainings in. we actually havent been to any since...OMG. june? thats horrible. my husband works every saturday so its hard to take time off for that especially when i've been sick and needing help with the kids. plus actually there are a lot of things i feel very lost about that i think would have been easier if we would have completed more training prior to starting. court procedures and things like that are just a blur, other things i just don't know what to expect like when we had that newborn that might have had withdrawals. if i didn't have excellent support from jen i would be really lost. she's my social worker decoder.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #118
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well, we got a placement. I had made it clear to our SW that we wanted under 1 yr. Preferably under 6months. the younger the better. they almost placed us with a 19 month old & 3 month old earlier this week, but said we did not have space for the 19 month old (I did not want 2 placements or over 1 yr, so I was not disappointed). Said they were going to give of the 3 month old, but ended up placing them together, tell us yesterday that they have a NB. we wait all day & get a call - for a 1 yr old. Hesitantly say yes. Social worker arrives with a 22 month old!!! How do we not have the space for a 19 month old, but a 22 month old is okay??? he has been fairly easy so far, so I am hoping it lasts! My 3 yr old is not happy, the whole reason we were sticking with infants....

It sound like he might be short term & if he continues to be easy we are hoping to still get a call for a *baby*.

(the social worker had been told that we did not have children. boy,was she surprised! LOL)
~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #119
looking8186
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sunflower- I feel your pain on that one!!! I specified under one preferably under 6mo because of my dd.. I got a call for a "just turned 2 yr old" before agreeing I asked for her birthdate ***best advice everrrrr btw*** and found out she was ***3.5!!!!!**** can you believe that?? I'm sooo happy I asked because I had to say no... but I still ended up with 3.5 yr old and 4.5 yr old respite kiddos

I'm sorry that they misled you... It's so crazy when they drop off a kiddo but to have the child be a YEAR older is shocking to say the least...

Last edited by looking8186; 03-01-2013 at 04:04 PM.
looking8186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #120
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had the opposite happen. At the time, I only took 0-12 months (I now take 0-3) because I had a new 2yo and no separate bedroom. Got a call for a 2yo so said no. The next day, they call back wanting to move her here because of my location and now they tell me she's actually 14 months! I agreed, but then she ended up going back to mom right away anyway so never got her.