Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #161
sup3rmom2logan
Registered Users
seller

Re: February/March Chat Thread

Oh, yes they are VERY interested. I am just a little afraid they will put all the hard to place high medical needs kids with me knowing I am a nurse, and I won't get any newbies. KWIM???

We would like to get licensed for 4 children, but it takes longer to get licensed as a group home versus a standard foster home. We will be working with a few organizations to get things ready. We aren't starting until the end of the year but have been networking and working out all the details.

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #162
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just tell them you want medically fragile newborns or babies being released straight from the hospital. You can be very specific about ages and there seem to be plenty of newborns and young babies who need these specialized homes. That's what is do, anyway.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #163
shortandsweet
Registered Users
seller

Anyone else just HATE the day after visits with bio-parents? FD has visits once a week, and she is just a nightmare the day after. Major potty regressions, lying, defiance, etc. As much as I understand the importance of the visits, it's such a bummer how much they set her progress back. It seems like it takes half the week to get back to where we were, then it's only a few days til the next visit, and it all starts over again. Such a frustrating cycle...
Old 03-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #164
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Sunflower~*~ View Post
Has anyone else dealt with a kid who for some reason wont lift the darn bottle?

Now that you mention it my son never would hold his own bottle. I tried showing him and it would just fall out of his hands onto his chest or head. I assumed he was just lazy or spoiled. He only took a bottle till about 18 months old though and I would hold it and feed it to him each time.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #165
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortandsweet View Post
Anyone else just HATE the day after visits with bio-parents? FD has visits once a week, and she is just a nightmare the day after. Major potty regressions, lying, defiance, etc. As much as I understand the importance of the visits, it's such a bummer how much they set her progress back. It seems like it takes half the week to get back to where we were, then it's only a few days til the next visit, and it all starts over again. Such a frustrating cycle...
(((HUGS)))
~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #166
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmyann View Post
Now that you mention it my son never would hold his own bottle. I tried showing him and it would just fall out of his hands onto his chest or head. I assumed he was just lazy or spoiled. He only took a bottle till about 18 months old though and I would hold it and feed it to him each time.
would you believe he actually held his bottle for nap time today? LOL
Go figure!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #167
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

yay sunflower! lol

i typed a huge long response to the post about visits and my phone ate it apparently? we have visits 2x/week and they are bad days. he's starting to cry and cling to me when i drop off and after the visit the rest of the day is screaming and behaviors straight up till bedtime. if we get the twins they want to increase visits to 4x/week. its so confusing for the little ones. J is *just* getting to the point where he doesn't run up to strangers to get picked up or put his arms up to the cashiers at the grocery store, and he's going on 8 months with us. he was in and out of family homes and foster care several times before he landed here. that is a lot of disruption at a really crucial time for attachment.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #168
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

I, that is so hard! I cant imagine 4x week!!!

We are looking at 1 month of no visitation. Much easier for us. We are already worn out. I think this kid may single handedly destroy my house! We spend the day doing damage control, then dh comes home & says "he is so cute! I hope we get to adopt him!" LOL.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #169
ivparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So have any of you experienced parents wanting you to feed your dfc foods that you don't think would be good for them? I'm not sure what to do as its not down right bad. They want me to add this milk powder stuff to whole milk. Essentially making her milk have double the vitamins. She drinks a ton, more then she should as it is. About 40 oz a day. Its not even a supplement. The directions say to add it to water but they want me to add it to milk. The supplement isn't cheap either. $20 for a week worth. They say they don't want her to loose weight. Well, she is 2 and a lot of 3t clothes are too small for her. My daughter is almost 1 year older then her and is smaller. Do I just say OK to the parents, but don't put it in all the time? As it is, Wic says she should only be drinking skim milk and they give us 2 gallons a month, she herself drinks at least 1 gallon a week. She might actually lose weight, though, as we do eat kind of healthy here. She has been kind of picky but we have been finding foods she will eat like almonds, sweet peas, carrots. We do buy chicken nuggets now as well because we know she likes them. I think she is eating plenty without the added supplement thingy. I've brought it up to my case worker and she just doesnt respond. I don't want to just say that its not healthy to the parents as I think they truly think that doing that makes them good parents. Maybe its a cultural thing???
Old 03-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #170
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Well baby girl is not coming to us anymore. There were many things that led to this decision.

#1 We have a great chance to adopt another child but they were concerned about us taking on baby girl and the adoptable little boy.

#2 Baby girl will have three times a week visits 45 minutes away from our home. Doing this with her having a trach and vent seems insurmountable.

# With X-man, my DS, adoptable little boy and baby girl we cannot all fit in our vehicles.

I am really sad about baby girl my heart was already in it. I feel like I am never going to have a baby girl to keep. I know that is not what this is about but I can't help that I feel this way right now.

I am excited that we are being highly considered for the little boy we already know and love. I just hope it is not another disappointment.